Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 02:55 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
There's an easy solution to all this.

Women: please dress however you like.

Men: please look at whatever you like.

Everybody's happy except entitled busy-bodies who need to tell other people what do do.

I agree with this, however, staring at a person's outfit can be rude. However, I find it funny that people choose to wear "outlandish" outfits, yet complain when people look/stare. People don't get to decide what people wear nor people don't get to decide if someone looks/stares at an attractive person. Yet, this is ANOTHER rhetoric of men vs women. It's such a simple concept, yet, people like to make it complicated and ***** about **** that doesn't even matter. SMH.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:10 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I agree with this, however, staring at a person's outfit can be rude. However, I find it funny that people choose to wear "outlandish" outfits, yet complain when people look/stare. People don't get to decide what people wear nor people don't get to decide if someone looks/stares at an attractive person. Yet, this is ANOTHER rhetoric of men vs women. It's such a simple concept, yet, people like to make it complicated and ***** about **** that doesn't even matter. SMH.
I don't know. I can imagine a scenario in which a normal guy would not rudely stare at a MAN who was looking "outlandish" IF that man looked scary, or big, who might respond with violence and could beat you up.

That regular guy could be real polite if he thought he'd get his butt kicked, you know?

I'm not sure that fear of repercussions in the form of physical harm, should really be necessary to incite a person to behave nicely. Kind of makes one a bit of a bully if they do it just because they feel that there's "nothing you can do about it." A bit.

Obviously it's different if you feel like you can look or stare and they won't necessarily notice that you're doing so. I'm talking about the kind of staring that someone will be aware of, and maybe uncomfortable about.

And I think that is a huge part of why people complain about things like this. There can be a point where it feels like someone is taking advantage of a power differential.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:48 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
They want to have their cake and eat it too. That's what third-wave feminism is all about.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM

50,766 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
They want to have their cake and eat it too. That's what third-wave feminism is all about.
She’s having her cake by simply wearing yoga pants and a T-shirt?

Old 06-01-2018, 04:03 PM

She's eating her cake by demanding special treatment.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM

50,766 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
She's having her cake by demanding special treatment.
What special treatment? The woman in the OP did not even know that OP glanced at her. Let alone demand anything. Everyone on this thread, every woman on this thread has said it’s fine to look but it’s rude to stare or to leer. It is not demanding special treatment to expect normal civilized people not to be overtly rude. Especially when it’s an outfit that is very common place in today’s society.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
She's having her cake by demanding special treatment.

Um....... she demanded nothing. Nada. Zilch.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Ok, lemme re-phrase.

Women in this thread who think they can tell people what they may or may not look at are demanding special treatment.

If I were to go around wearing yoga-pants, I guarantee I would get some stares and comments. I don't really want that, so I don't wear yoga pants in public.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't know. I can imagine a scenario in which a normal guy would not rudely stare at a MAN who was looking "outlandish" IF that man looked scary, or big, who might respond with violence and could beat you up.

That regular guy could be real polite if he thought he'd get his butt kicked, you know?
A woman can be sexy and intimidating at the same time with tactical yoga pants.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

The question is, why does a woman dress so provocatively if not to be stared at?

n.
My issue is with men making how women dress all about them (the men).

She can dress however and it is not about you. So to her "provocatively" may not be part of the equation.

However, while it is considered bad manners for anyone to stare at anyone, I maintain that once you set foot out in public, you have zero right telling people where to look or not to look at you.

So if a guy wants to look at a woman, I have zero issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology