Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 11:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My leggings and yoga pants NOT the same material as my underwear.
Same, but I do notice the leggings aimed at teeny boppers that are under $10 are quite similar to underwear material. And some people do wear those.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:49 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Same, but I do notice the leggings aimed at teeny boppers that are under $10 are quite similar to underwear material. And some people do wear those.
True, and I've see those, AND the underwear they are wearing beneath.

But quality, properly fitting leggings and yoga pants don't. Still, no matter what the cost, I always bend over before buying to double check.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-03-2018, 12:21 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That's where you're wrong. As a man, I do not want a woman I do not know putting her hands on me. I wouldn't care if she was the hottest woman alive keep your hands to yourself.

If a man touches a woman he doesn't know, she will be creeped out and annoyed. I'd like the same respect in return.

I've had women approach me and two minutes in they're putting their arm around me, respectfully I told them to stop because they're a stranger and I don't know them.
Certainly reasonable. I am not a touchy-huggy person at all. I hug my sons. Otherwise I like to maintain some personal space with friends and more with strangers, male or female.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:37 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Why does she dress that way? She's hot. She knows it. Her friends likely all dress that way too.
Ahhh, but, hot or not, yoga pants and workout top are the current uniform of the American woman. There is no requirement that you have a good body to wear this.

Most of these people say they are comfortable. Most of the women i encounter in this uniform are married, so they aren't trolling.

I am showing my age...at 50, I don't think that yoga pants are necessarily inappropriate, but they are not a good look for many, and not what you should wear to work or a drs appt.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:48 PM

50,720 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Ok, lemme re-phrase.

Women in this thread who think they can tell people what they may or may not look at are demanding special treatment.

If I were to go around wearing yoga-pants, I guarantee I would get some stares and comments. I don't really want that, so I don't wear yoga pants in public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Ahhh, but, hot or not, yoga pants and workout top are the current uniform of the American woman. There is no requirement that you have a good body to wear this.

Most of these people say they are comfortable. Most of the women i encounter in this uniform are married, so they aren't trolling.

I am showing my age...at 50, I don't think that yoga pants are necessarily inappropriate, but they are not a good look for many, and not what you should wear to work or a drs appt.
OP stated she was a young woman though. OP didn't state her age, but I and most everyone I know dressed very differently at 21 than we did at 41. Pushing the envelope in fashion choices is part of being young. If I see a 16 year old out in Snoopy pajama pants, I would think it's silly but not the worst thing in the world because 16 year olds are allowed to be silly. But if I saw a 45 year old doing it I'd think she looked ridiculous.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:55 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
As a bisexual woman, I totally do this. I don't even hide it. What's awesome is when you turn your head, and they are also turning around to look at you!

How YOU doinnn?
Yeah, there's that.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
The difference between looking and staring is like splitting hairs in certain situations
Here is such an example:

I had the experience of working in in the lobby of Metro North Housing complex back in the early 80's .
While repairing some floor tiles to the elevators on my knees a tenant opened her apartment door and invited me into her home as she stood there bare ass naked in her doorway. I looked ( that's what men do ) and then turned my head quickly. She kept saying "Don't be shy; Come on in baby.." . I said "Sorry... I'm with someone."
Frantically gathered my tools and heard her giggle as she noticed my difficulty in getting to my feet.
I quickly walked off the grounds ( red with embarrassment ).

Note:
No difference between Looking and Staring if the outcome causes a sudden spike in someones' blood pressure.

You can't make this stuff up......

Old 06-03-2018, 06:31 PM

104 posts, read 95,923 times
When I was a young woman I dressed for the effect I got and attention although I was never instructed and was oblivious of the natural tendency of men to be visually affected creatures. No one tells you that it effects them so deeply. I now catch me staring mat me modestly dressed but I think it’s just admiration.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:04 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
This is the sort of ludicrous 'fact' that's generated when a subject is too taboo to discuss and research honestly.

Good grief! Maybe..just maybe..you might want to do the minimal Google search and see that there has been copious amounts of research on this.

Unless your contention is that all the research is tainted because the subject was too, 'taboo'?

Or perhaps..all those researchers were dishonest? Crazy!

Rape is all about violence, in most cases. Provocative dress actually can 'turn-off' a rapist..as strong and sexually powerful women are anathema to them.

Predators seek prey..simple as that.

It is no coincidence that most victim's of rape are vulnerable..children, elderly and those who appear scared.

Fear is a greater turn on for a rapist than nudity ever could be.

Last edited by EvilEyeFleegle; 06-03-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 10:36 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I was thinking of this thread this morning.

I ended up last night in the city where my daughter lives, and though I couldn't get hold of her last night, we managed to meet for coffee this morning. I didn't have a lot of time as I had to continue on my journey home, so I called her and told her to pick a place that we could show up casual because I was in jeans and a T-shirt. She said, "that's OK, Mom, I'm in yoga pants and flats."

I met her and that's what she had on--yoga pants, a crop top, and canvas flats. Her hair was piled on top of her head like mine was, complete with stragglers hanging down. She wasn't dressing for anybody to look at her, just having coffee with Mom, but she was dressed like the woman in the OP's story. It's just a casual look for young women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology