Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:41 AM

5,445 posts, read 3,901,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

To combat this I regularly workout which helps me become more optimistic, happy, secure, confident, etc. as it release endorphins and is healthy for you. It helps take the mind of the reality of human mortality and problems.
This + drinking = only thing that works for me (my regular workout is running, mostly--5x per week). So I suppose you can add to my list of fears/specific concerns about suffering a serious leg injury--I've played competitive soccer for most of my life, and I continue to do so (I mean, it's men's league, but it's 'high caliber' and I'm playing against mostly ex-college players, though I myself did not play in college), and now that one soccer game per week takes on that added 'if I happen to break my leg here, I am absolutely psychologically f*cked given that the only thing that keeps me sane is running-related endorphins + alcohol-related endorphins' stress...so, yeah, add that to the list that I posted above as a separate 10th or 11th entry, whatever it may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 05:45 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,596,298 times
-Becoming old, disabled, and unable to care for myself
-Driving in certain situations
-Public speaking
-Certain medical procedures

Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
My sister, who is a Christian, always told me to never speak (or write) my biggest fears as Satan would hear and make them happen.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My sister, who is a Christian, always told me to never speak (or write) my biggest fears as Satan would hear and make them happen.
Why does your Christian sister think that her God would allow Satan to do that? Or if Satan is in control of everything, why not worship him instead?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:32 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,214,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
-Becoming old, disabled, and unable to care for myself

Yep. Having dealt with my mother with dementia for 3 years with her recent transition from assisted living to memory care, that outcome is my worst fear. I don't have children so my problem is worse.

My other fear is poverty which is kind of related. At age 60, I've set myself up in life so I can chug along fairly comfortably without working pretty much forever. The second I can't live independently, I start having a big problem. Assisted living is expensive. Memory care is even more expensive. A nursing home is off the charts expensive. As a late Boomer, running out of money in that scenario is really ugly. I manage my mother's finances. 3 years of assisted living and 3 years of memory care wipes her out. A Medicaid nursing home where Medicaid requires a double occupancy room is not an optimal outcome.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:42 AM

3,261 posts, read 4,994,595 times
1. Something bad happening to one of my kids, or my granddaughter.

2. Physical pain. I don't fear death, but I do fear a painful death.

3. Not really a fear, but more of a concern: running out of money before I die.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,934,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I have this obsessive fear that I’ll get a phone call letting me know that someone I love has died. I worry about this constantly! I’ve been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in the past, but this particular type of fear started only recently. I plan to see a therapist soon, but I really don’t want to take prescription drugs anymore.

Does anyone else have fears/anxiety that make it hard to get through daily life at times?
Omg, this is me exactly. I don't want to lose my mother or sister. Someone calling me and saying that they have died is my biggest fear in life. Because of this, I don't answer phones. This fear started when my uncle-in-law called us to tell us that my grandmother died. A very traumatizing night.

However, this fear doesn't take a big toll on my life as I'm bombarded with other fears as well.

One huge phobia I have is of vomiting, which is taking a toll on my life. I dread winters because of my fear of contracting gastroenteritis.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Omg, this is me exactly. I don't want to lose my mother or sister. Someone calling me and saying that they have died is my biggest fear in life. Because of this, I don't answer phones. This fear started when my uncle-in-law called us to tell us that my grandmother died. A very traumatizing night.

However, this fear doesn't take a big toll on my life as I'm bombarded with other fears as well.

One huge phobia I have is of vomiting, which is taking a toll on my life. I dread winters because of my fear of contracting gastroenteritis.
I forgot about that. I have that too. It's called emetophobia. I haven't vomited myself in at least 25 years, but I also have a fear of being around others who are vomiting or might vomit. Only humans though. My cat throwing up doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Amelie90; 06-08-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 08:17 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,901,617 times
There are a lot of things to be fearful of, to be sure, primarily pain, death, old age, bad things happening to loved ones, etc., but what is the use of being fearful? I refuse to live like that, being fearful. I don't think it's useful or effective. I'm not going through life like that, wasting time fearing what the future holds. It's limiting.

Anticipate what might happen, try to prepare as best you can, but the main focus should be the present moment. Being fearful damages the joy of the present moment; not a good way to live, IMHO.

Now this is not to suggest I'm claiming I don't feel fear. I do. But my method of dealing with it is to set it aside for the moment with the idea that I will face it when and if it occurs, not giving it an credence until that happens.

Someone, I've forgotten who, said that life is more a matter of being frightened rather than being hurt.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-08-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM

226 posts, read 297,786 times
Nervous Nellie here. I have too many fears to count but am having some relief through Christian meditation (deep breathing while praying/reciting supportive Bible scriptures).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology