Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:23 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times

Advertisements

There are times I have been scared well. I faced situations that, 1) I didn't feel safe to share and 2) I had to pretend to be okay to be able to get out of the situation.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-10-2018 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Edited post at user's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 05:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
A long time ago, possibly as far back at the 80s, 4 young people were found dead in a car. They redirected the exhaust fumes from the tailpipe to the inside of the car. It was some kind of suicide pact. NJ is where this happened.
Back in the 80's, my mother's friend did the same thing. She used some sort of hose to redirect the exhaust back to the inside of the car, and did so inside a closed garage. Her sister later found her. She was mid-fifties, single, laid off in a bad economy with no prospect of future employment, heavily in debt, and decided she could no longer cope. RIP, Ms Doris

Old 06-10-2018, 07:38 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Reminds me, the OP, of an episode of the X-Files where the peeper through the mirrors says he has a problem and Mulder rakes him over the coals by saying a responsible person goes and gets help, he doesn't continue doing it.

The thing is, in our world where once you say or are declared something of a mental problem, you tend to be that for life.......as far as society and employment is concerned.

So there is rather a motivational reason to keep quiet about it and try to cure it yourself.

You know the saying of fear even if in this case it is a slight retelling:

"I'm from the government; I'm here to help."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why has suicide increased so dramatically in the U.S.?
Removal of religion?

If one is religious and believes that "seeking your own salvation" will not get you into heaven but into a form of damnation forever, you are less likely to pull the trigger....or, at least, not yourself. Ie, suicide by cop.

If you are not religious, however, then what else can stand in the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, in my last session with my therapist, I was venting quite a bit, and much of that was suicide-related--mostly a defense of the act in the abstract, but before I let myself get carried away down that particular path, I had to remind myself essentially that anything I said could theoretically be used against me...so I kept it mostly confined to defending the act 'in theory', although I did go as far as to say that if I were to ever choose to kill myself, my family and others who'd be negatively impacted would just have to overcome their own selfish opposition to the act, as it's cruel to mandate the continuation of suffering. My comments were definitely alarming her a bit, but I think I went about as far as I could without making her think I was suicidal (which I wasn't, but I felt at the time like I was deteriorating, and it wouldn't have been much of a 'decline' from how I felt that day to feeling as though I'd want to die). So, if you want to talk about problems with the status quo and the way people think about the issue of suicide...I'd argue that the biggest problem is that euthanasia is not legal and freely available for any adult who might want it.
It is probably a wise notion to keep a ready explanation of why you are the way you are.

I have been so bubbly with some people that I am talking so fast that I am mixing up my words that people might think I'm a dingbat. What it is, mostly, that I am so sexually charged every day that such energy gets dumped directly into how I relate to people, any people. So this last time, I explained my last display about being so excited, so charged, to finally getting my friend out of the office to be able to take them out for some fun.

How I am day to day with an explanation for this or that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't know if I agree with you, but I was thinking about euthanasia and thinking that the way we use the term is incorrect. Animals don't know or consent to us killing them - we "do it for them," but we're really murdering them (albeit in a "nice" way)........

Matter of opinion and belief. In my family, it is that we give them an easy death. Which is something we don't get if we are religious. An easy death for a cat when cancer as advanced where she can't walk, can't get out of her poop but we don't get to end it quickly if we are in the same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
imho, I agree that the medications so many take for depression is part of the cause. Side effects in so many cases are lusted as "suicidal thoughts".......

HA! That is one of the reasons why I don't seek allergy medicine, all those commercials with those "side effects".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-10-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 02:06 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You might be satirizing this POV, but that's certainly my outlook on life in the grand scheme.
you and 90% of everyone I know.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:25 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
As a college freshaman I was depressed and went to a therapist at the college for a few visits. What helped me was realizing the therapist was crazier than I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They let you talk for about 5--10 minutes, make appropriate comments, then give you resource numbers, like local health clinics. If you call those numbers, you find they do the same thing, they talk a few minutes, then give more referral and resource numbers, and you find yourself being referred back to the same people

If you persist, you might get an appointment to a mental health clinic, but its might be 3--6 months wait. Then, when you do go, you get a bored, disinterested "therapist" who asks some standard questions, makes some scribbles on her notepad, then gives you more phone numbers--aka resources--most of which are dead ends. Most are either not taking new patients, have a ridiculously long waiting list, or either do NOT take your insurance, or do NOT take you if you have insurance We've run into that. some providers are just for the indigent community and will NOT take you if you have any type of insurance---even if your insurance does NOT cover mental health If you seek care in the private sector, again, the waiting list is a mile long, and many/most are out-of-network providers, meaning they charge waaaaay beyond what insurance allows. At $300--$400+ per visit, you can't afford much "therapy".Again, about all they do is look at you!

Perhaps the paper chase at least keeps you distracted long enough to let go of the suicidal ideation?

Its all just a farce

Old 06-10-2018, 04:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Two therapist. Each gave different responses.
Therapist 1 said. Okay let's talk this thru. Here is a checklist of all need you need to get done prior. The list was tedious. Plan burial. Pay off all debts. Give all your stuff away...and figure out how you will say goodbye to your loved ones. It was such a tough lesson in what effect this decision would have on others.
THERAPIST 2 SAID: who is your family contact? Five minutes later I was in a van heading to a wellness center. My mom met me there...hugged me and said...this is where you need to be. I stayed two nights. I can completely understand despair and the dark tunnel vision. I don't rant that the one who succeeded was selfish...I do say...I get their level of utter despair and perpetual recordings ...
I did see one show where a criminal committed suicide I thought..okay, there is the exception. That criminal had a different despair...having to be accountable..

Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
As a college freshaman I was depressed and went to a therapist at the college for a few visits. What helped me was realizing the therapist was crazier than I was.
A lot of them are.

Plenty get into the industry because they suffer from mental illness themselves.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Suicide hotlines are worthless, I'm sorry.

First they give you positive reinforcement "Mary, I think it's wonderful that you had the strength to call today".
Then they go down their checklist.
Do you feel suicidal at this moment?
Have you ever attempted suicide before?
Do you have a definite plan?

Then then offer you advice.

You need to take care of YOU. Tell me something that really makes you happy, something that you really enjoy doing?
Do you think you could find something to do tonight or tomorrow that you really enjoy doing?
You have to make your happiness a priority.
What were you doing the last time you felt happy?

Finally, they recommend a mental/behavorial health clinic that will gladly prescribe mood altering drugs that will turn you into an emotionless zombie.

Yippee
You hit it on the head.

Mental illness healthcare in the USA is lacking, severely.

Just seeing the suicide rates blowing up tells that story pretty clear.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why has suicide increased so dramatically in the U.S.?

There is no empathy to be found and you are left all alone. Life is also more complicated today, not as simple, and for too many getting harder and harder to get ahead.

There also isn't really any help out there that has a high success rate. The drugs and therapy aren't very good for too many.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:35 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That's assuming some who's feeling suicidal even HAS a therapist. That is way, WAY outside my financial level, and I suspect I'm better off than most (can get my hands on more than $1000 in the next hour without having to beg, borrow or steal). Or maybe it's only outside the budget of the working middle class... donno. Never been an option in my life, simply too expensive.
It is not going to get any more affordable in the near future either. Hate being so negative but a lot of the money for mental health tx is being diverted to the opioid crisis.

https://www.counseling.org/governmen...abuse-programs

Mental Health funding (for 40 years that I know) has been a popular budget to plunder in order to fund the epidemic du jour.

It is no wonder the stigma of Mental Illness continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology