Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am the opposite. I don't like GPS. I sometimes use it but you just follow the instructions without even having an idea where you are. You follow it and end up somewhere where you have to be.

Back in the good old times you got your map out. You looked at it and wrote down where you have to go. And you knew exactly which areas you drive through and most likely still know it ten years later. And next time you know exactly where you can get a milkshake on the way to where you have to go
How odd ,what makes you think that using a gps leads to not remembering where you go,it’s just like a map,you get used to the names of roads,landmarks and then no need to use again for that particular route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
How odd ,what makes you think that using a gps leads to not remembering where you go,it’s just like a map,you get used to the names of roads,landmarks and then no need to use again for that particular route.
There have actually been studies that show that relying on technology for directions rewires your brain:

https://www.thecut.com/2017/01/using...direction.html

Quote:
Research suggests that the digital tools we use to get around really are changing our brains. One study, for example, found that hikers who used GPS had a harder time recalling their route than those who had used regular paper maps. A 2006 study on London cab drivers, meanwhile, linked the profession to a larger-than-average hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for spatial awareness; some researchers have speculated that frequent use of GPS could have the opposite effect, shrinking the hippocampus down to size. As a Nature column put it last year, mental navigation “is a ‘use-it-or-lose-it’ skill” – and we’ve become less and less inclined to use it.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:
Back in the good old times you got your map out. You looked at it and wrote down where you have to go.
Oh yeah, I remember that... nothing like having to toggle between keeping my eye on the road on the interstate or highway, and looking down at the paper print-out of my map/directions to see what step (out of 10-15) was next as I traveled through unfamiliar territory on those long distance out-of-state drives. And heaven forbid I miss my exit or a turn.... I recall one such incident years ago on the suburban Chicago freeway during morning rush hour, finally just exited and went into a gas station, set my map on the counter, and asked the cashier, "where am I?". "You're not on this map anymore" she replied. Yep, I'm good with the GPS now.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:37 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
Quote:
I am the opposite. I don't like GPS. I sometimes use it but you just follow the instructions without even having an idea where you are. You follow it and end up somewhere where you have to be.

Back in the good old times you got your map out. You looked at it and wrote down where you have to go. And you knew exactly which areas you drive through and most likely still know it ten years later. And next time you know exactly where you can get a milkshake on the way to where you have to go
Ha-ha, good point, oh-eve!!!

Old 06-27-2018, 10:14 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I know most here are way younger than me but I'll throw it out anyway. I'm 80 soon. So I've seen a lot of life and made it just fine without today's expensive trinkets.

I don't want to hear about the ipads, smartphones, robotics etc etc....

I NEVER bought into a Microwave oven and ate very well all my life. And still do.

I NEVER bought into ipads, smartphones etc etc and just fine.

I resisted the desktop computer until 2005 and "did it"...but love it.

And unplugged cable last year, got rid of it and don't miss it for a second. Get all I "need" to know on my radio, NPR is a wealth of information. And other stations that I can find that are liberal enough for me.

Avoid so much political cwap and remember how I stayed up hours watching all that stuff on tv but enjoyed a lot of it for some yrs. I'm saving over $60/month with no tv.

I've done a lot in my life and enjoyed about all of it. Things probably many of you never have.

I know I'm not the only one on this planet who "Keeps It Simple",... but anyone here.
Great thread! I like to keep it simple too with the exception of designer hand bags and the type of real estate I want to buy. I do like Mac computers because they do not have virus. She is dying. (Sigh) I also like to travel from time to time.

I do not have the following:
Mirowave
Cable/ Internet ( I have internet on my phone)
Android phone (I do not understand the need to buy a $500 phone.)
I have been driving the same car for 13 years. It seems like people buy cars every two years. A car note forever. I have not had one in I think 10 years. I am actually a little jealous.
I live in a 300 square foot apartment in a great neighborhood.
My entertainment includes the library and hiking. (Free)

Living a simple life is good when you fall on hard times. The fewer the bills, the fewer the headaches. It is still not easy but it could be a lot worse.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:16 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I know most here are way younger than me but I'll throw it out anyway. I'm 80 soon. So I've seen a lot of life and made it just fine without today's expensive trinkets.

I don't want to hear about the ipads, smartphones, robotics etc etc....

I NEVER bought into a Microwave oven and ate very well all my life. And still do.

I NEVER bought into ipads, smartphones etc etc and just fine.

I resisted the desktop computer until 2005 and "did it"...but love it.

And unplugged cable last year, got rid of it and don't miss it for a second. Get all I "need" to know on my radio, NPR is a wealth of information. And other stations that I can find that are liberal enough for me.

Avoid so much political cwap and remember how I stayed up hours watching all that stuff on tv but enjoyed a lot of it for some yrs. I'm saving over $60/month with no tv.

I've done a lot in my life and enjoyed about all of it. Things probably many of you never have.

I know I'm not the only one on this planet who "Keeps It Simple",... but anyone here.
So to qualify as living a "really simple" lifestyle I just need to get rid of my smartphone, microwave, and cable tv? I think there's a lot more than that, to most people.

BTW, these days a smartphone is the equivalent of a desktop, one you just carry around so if you have a laptop/desktop I don't think that is a unique qualifier for the simple life. You're still "connected".

Old 06-27-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There have actually been studies that show that relying on technology for directions rewires your brain:

https://www.thecut.com/2017/01/using...direction.html
Interesting, thank you for the link, appreciate it. glad it doesn't apply to my husband or myself. phew! I wonder if it's because we grew up using maps, and as we travel we come across many areas with no iphone service and resort to maps or winging it after having studied the map before our trip whether it's long trip or a short trip.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
I guess you are wired differently.

No need to offend me with .

Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think it would not have an effect. I know how to get to places I determined using maps all over, but many of the routes to places I go via GPS are much more vague. I once tried remembering when the phone died - no waze - and ended up making a 10 mile wrong turn.

Obviously the brain works very differently when determining a route & remembering versus the part of the brain that just listens to instructions.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So to qualify as living a "really simple" lifestyle I just need to get rid of my smartphone, microwave, and cable tv? I think there's a lot more than that, to most people.

BTW, these days a smartphone is the equivalent of a desktop, one you just carry around so if you have a laptop/desktop I don't think that is a unique qualifier for the simple life. You're still "connected".
I rarely use my computer, don't have a laptop, so yes, having an iphone has simplified so many things. When on the road and we need gas, just punch it into the iphone and it let's us know where the nearest one is. I use the phone calendar with alerts for important appointments, can check on the house camera remotely, save money on items with online coupons, or can compare prices immediately and shop elsewhere. Pharmacy sends a text when prescriptions are ready for pick up. The list of apps or uses is incredible for making life a lot easier. As for emergencies, there is a comfort in knowing that if there is an accident I can call 911 or ask siri to. I find it so interesting how others can determine what a simple life is based on their own interests and needs.

I just can't cook in the house during the hot summer here in pheonix, and standing outside to bbq isn't always an option when it's 110 degrees, so slow cookers, batch cooking and microwaves make my life a lot simpler and easier. As for dishwashers, I didn't grow up with one and never felt the need for one, but since most houses in the usa come with one I will use it. I rarely use a dryer but then I am not living in a place now with major rainstorms. So I think geography, economics, needs, interests, etc create unique circumstances for each person and how they need to determine the simple life. I for ONE think the man who invented air conditioning should be a saint, but that's another story. Without air conditioning my life would be very simple, I'd be sitting in a pool of water for the day, or totally fagged out on the couch the whole day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology