Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,954,998 times

Advertisements

As a millennial, I can tell you a large percentage of us don't fit the media narrative of what we are supposed to be. There are a lot of us with careers, families and a good work ethic. There are a good percentage that go through life with a victim mentality. Some parents teach this while kids are in school by ignoring personal responsibility. Parents prop them up by continuing to support them, something I don't think happened in previous generations.

Another big thing is social media. It tends to cause "life comparisons". They think their "friends" are better off. People tend not to post the negative aspects of their life on social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, for one thing, the suicide rate among young people is increasing, and people have always had the option of killing themselves.

As far as why oldsters keep posting bout Millennials, that's a good question, but the reason I do (speaking only for myself) is that most of us do have Millennials in our lives, either through work or family, or both.
You are correct that suicide among young people is increasing, though it is primarily teenagers, who are not Millennials, but the next post-Millennial generation. Millennials are in their 20's and 30's right now.

However the highest suicide rates are among middle-aged adults (45-54). See link below.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You and they are fortunate -- but to answer your question, I have both kinds in my life (as I think most people do) -- the mostly successful and mostly happy Millennials and the "spoiled" and/or unhappy kind, too.
I could say that equally about every generation of people I know. There are spoiled entitled people of all ages, and same with successful and happy. No significant differences in distribution of those traits by age.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:45 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
You are correct that suicide among young people is increasing, though it is primarily teenagers, who are not Millennials, but the next post-Millennial generation. Millennials are in their 20's and 30's right now.

However the highest suicide rates are among middle-aged adults (45-54). See link below.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

I could say that equally about every generation of people I know. There are spoiled entitled people of all ages, and same with successful and happy. No significant differences in distribution of those traits by age.

You are correct, but more than one source is blaming the Internet and social media for the increase in the suicide rate among young people, and the Internet did not enter the world until 1990/91 and Facebook has been around for less than 15 years. I don't mean to -- or want to -- turn this into an argument, though. Even if it we were talking about just one apparently healthy person, it would still be tragic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ame/356539001/

And as far as Millennials being less happy and less successful in general than other age groups, that might be true, but I just wonder why the perception is otherwise? It is not just us oldsters saying that the Millennial generation is less satisfied and happy than other generations, but the young people are saying it, too. (And I would guess that the speaker in the video is also a Millennial, and he would know more about this than I would!)

Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Being an aging citizen of the U.S. my thoughts go to "they have not had to struggle for anything"...use plastic for instant gratification and that's done it. Don't wait for anything, buy it now. I see it in my very catered to grandkids.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
As a millennial, I can tell you a large percentage of us don't fit the media narrative of what we are supposed to be. There are a lot of us with careers, families and a good work ethic. There are a good percentage that go through life with a victim mentality. Some parents teach this while kids are in school by ignoring personal responsibility. Parents prop them up by continuing to support them, something I don't think happened in previous generations.
Thank you for posting this! This is what I post, whenever these stereotypes about Millennial dysfunction are trotted out. You'd think that nobody had a Millennial generation in their extended family at all.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:18 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,402 times
Unhappy is all in the mind of expectation.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:22 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
The video clip mentioned "failed parenting strategies". I think that's what should be discussed, rather than Millennials who are headed toward failure. What the F happened to parenting?! Did somebody write a book about parenting, that advocated hovering over your child, doing their tasks for them to eliminate frustration and any potential for "low self-esteem" to arise, and giving them a prize for everything? Where did that come from?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM

937 posts, read 743,052 times
I have a feeling this is going to end up being a very long thread.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Are they, actually, though?

The largest demographic initiating sessions of counseling and support groups in the U.S. right now is actually that of older adults, primarily boomers.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:33 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But do the Millennials in your life fit the stereotype? None of the ones among my family and friends do.

Same, but I believe cultural differences are a big factor in that.

People are so fascinated with Millennials and I struggle to see why. Can we even really gauge the impact of Millennials at this stage? It is way too early...but based on the obsession with us, I feel we're going to go down in history as the greatest generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology