Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,108,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I tried the religion thing. I even tried gay-to-straight therapy and it didn't work and I was left worse off than I was when I began.
It's not about "religion". It's about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Being gay is not neccessarily a ticket to hell. It's the condition of our heart that matters, and God knows our heart. I've struggled with sexual sin most of my life, but He knows I want to repent, and allow Him to live out the life He wants to live in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 01:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
I am a Boomer. I retired and moved to Las Vegas in 2008. Most of the people I worked with at my first jobs in Las Vegas, all Millennials, are still my friends. If not IRL, at least on FB. So I have followed their lives for the last 10 years or so. Back in '08 they were struggling just to pay student loans. Many had 2 or 3 McJobs and had no benefits or insurance. They were angry because they had done what mom and dad told them to do and gotten those degrees. They were not paying off. Many still lived at home mostly because of student loans. To their detriment, most of them had pretty useless degrees. They had blindly 'followed their dreams' without considering future employment opportunities.

Fast forward 10 years and they are all doing better now but still struggling. Many still have no benefits or insurance. So that's a decade with no/poor medical care and no PTO or vacations. A couple still work more than one job. They have no money saved because they are still trying to make enough money for things like housing/utilities/food. The necessities.

Lack of opportunity is why they are dissatisfied. We have too many entry level low pay jobs but not much that's a step up. There are too few jobs available that pay enough to live and have benefits. They are now 10+ years into the workforce and overall are not doing nearly as well as I was at that same point in my career. As far as the American Dream goes, it wasn't there for them!

Old 06-27-2018, 03:19 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,460,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I am a Boomer and an early Boomer at that, so I can only speak for my people.

We graduated from high school and college and understood that we were not going to start out on the same level as our parents had worked their way up to. We were going to take low-paying jobs until we moved up. We were going to have to live in cheap apartments for a few years until we bought a starter home and fixed that up so it could be sold five years later for a bigger home. Rinse and repeat. We were going to drive old cars until we could afford our FIRST.NEW.CAR, which sure a heck wasn't going to be a Corvette or a Lexus that time out.

Maybe our "lesser expectations" led to more acceptance of what our lives were like. A lot of kids today just don't understand why they can't immediately have the five bedroom, four bath pool home with the grand entrance and the three car garage that their parents have now. It's such a "step down" for them that it sends them into a grand funk.

I definitely have a "Boomer" mentality in this way. Working my way up made me appreciate every step. Even my apartments gradually got better.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:26 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,460,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Right on! I'm a boomer and got my first starter home at the age of 22, as a waitress. This was in Mission Viejo, CA---that home now selling for $700,000 and it didn't get any bigger! It was $72,000 in '76. I sold a horse for the downpayment.

I have NO idea what younger people starting out can do, now. I feel badly for what they have been handed.

This is where I disagree with my fellow Millennials. Far too many of them are not willing to sacrifice and live in working-class neighborhoods...that may be ethnically mixed, where they can still afford a decent home in good condition. I'm from Illinois, and there are lots of good areas that have quality homes for reasonable prices. The problem is, too many people who grew up in the suburbs and never mingled with people who are different from them, are afraid to live in mixed but otherwise safe neighborhoods. They want the city life without the city...which is ridiculous. So no, these people are not going to find what they're looking for because it doesn't exist.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 PM

652 posts, read 340,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
They have seen a lot of "cataclysmic" events:
*The recession of the late 80s-early 90s.
*The dotcom bubble bursting.
*9/11
*The Rise of the Bushbarians and the Fall of Citizen Rights & Privacy.
*The Rise of SWAT - over 100 raids/day.
*The Great Repression of 2008-2012.
*The exploding and uncontrolled debt that threatens to drown us all.
*Never ending warfare against a largely imagined enemy.
*Rise of the Ingsoc Sheep Herder/Thought Cop
*Absolute disintegration of any privacy whatsoever without taking extraordinary measures.
*Political divide that is magnitudes worse than previous generations witnesses.
*Concept and enforcement of "toxic masculinity".
*Expectation for females to become doctors and lawyers and engineers, CEOs etc.
*Instant gratification for so many things.
*The frequent loss of socialization enhanced by real world dating, drinking, driving, and working.
*Rise of the Killer Cop and militarization of the police force via MRAPs and other battlefield equipment. Over three citizens/day. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/
*The illegalization of, well, most everything. Over 70,000 laws resulting in incarceration rates seven fold that of the 70's. We had the worlds highest rates in the 70's. Now operating in unexplored country.
*Political correctness coupled with militant enforcement
*The quality of food nutrition has deteriorated substantially unless one works hard and/or spends a lot more.
*Unaffordable housing.
*Unaffordable new cars.
*Rise of fake news that doesn't even try to be anything more than propaganda.
*It is hard for the "real world" to compete with the internet. Yet the internet is not an entirely healthy, happy environment.

My goodness, they really were dealt the proverbial "bad hand" as Simone Sinek succinctly puts it.
Yea, too bad they didn’t have a cushy childhood like those who were lucky enough to live thru the Great Depression, or WWII, or the Cold War, or Vietnam. Those generations didn’t have to deal with the tragedy of FAKE NEWS!!!

Any wonder why millennials are stamped with the ‘snowflake’ label?

Old 06-27-2018, 04:17 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,960,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
Yea, too bad they didn’t have a cushy childhood like those who were lucky enough to live thru the Great Depression, or WWII, or the Cold War, or Vietnam. Those generations didn’t have to deal with the tragedy of FAKE NEWS!!!

Having been born in '58, I lived through the Cold War and Vietnam. Neither one produced one iota of a problem for a kid. We were optimistic about the future because so many things were getting better. The only anxiety it produced was being taught that the USSR enjoyed a "2 to 1 advantage in mega-tonnage of nuclear throw weight". That got my attention though it turned out to be fear mongering at its finest.

Currently about the only thing that stirs my optimism is finding that someone, or a group, is fighting some of the negative things that keep getting more negative.

Cold War kids really thought we would have flying cars by the turn of the century. Now people are inclined to dream about being able to build underground. Can they pass code? Get permission? Save on expensive energy? Have a modicum of privacy?

I wouldn't make light of fake news. It has created an increasingly militant divide between the left and the right. That is often a precursor to extra-ordinarily bloody civil wars or military exorcisms of the current system. Fake news also tears up employment, families, friendships, and romantic relationships.

Plus the fact that fake news is just one of a multitude of listed challenges. Akin to attacking a small section of a complete sentence...

"Any wonder why millennials are stamped with the ‘snowflake’ label?" What does this mean?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM

335 posts, read 356,027 times
Do you have any stats or data to back up your claims that millennials are unhappy than any of the rest of us?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,960,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Do you have any stats or data to back up your claims that millennials are unhappy than any of the rest of us?
Just Duck Duck Go'd "unhappy millennials" and found an endless supply of sources. This isn't the latest conspiracy theory...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=unhappy+mi...t=opera&ia=web

Old 06-27-2018, 06:55 PM

11 posts, read 26,682 times
Default Totally agree

We Boomers grew up in a time of prosperity. We could actually buy name brand items and didn't think anything of it. Young People could rent an apt on their own without having a gazillion roommates to help out with expenses. Cost of living expenses were so low that young Families could live pretty good with a stay at home Mom. I noticed the difference from when I got married at the age of 18 in 1974 when my Husband and I could live on 321.00 a month with a small baby to support, and a few years down the line, I would say about 1978 forward. The financial lives of many of us was then hard. Home ownership was out of reach. and rents were doubling. I think some of the things we did have was resilience and patience, and the understanding that we had to work for what we wanted. Most times our Parents taught us these things. We weren't told how wonderful we were all day long, and we knew that achievement was merit-based. These are the things that young People today, unfortunately, missed out on. They go out in the real world and are like a deer in the headlights. The Guy on the video was spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As it did for the largest sub-cohort of Boomers. Rolling recessions starting around 1973 into the 1980s with a major meltdown in the late 1970s which saw entire industries, mostly in manufacturing, collapse and not return. That was coupled with double digit inflation and unemployment as well as interest rates topping 20%.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,307,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post

Yes growing up hungry and barely getting by to only grow up to either fight in ww2 or sacrifice back home doesn't compare to the struggles of a millennial today.

To be fair I remember when a lot of the same things were said about the boomers and both my kids are millennials and have college degrees and are home owners so it isn't fair to claim all millennials are a generation of losers.

The ones I've seen to behave the stereotype is ones parents are either enablers or don't have any drive themselves, otherwise they grow up and work for a living like we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology