Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks. Mostly the things I hate about my job are these two things:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nts-being.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-bathroom.html

Plus, many co-workers there are drama queens, but it's because of the bathroom problem and what not, I feel, and feel morale would be better if that issue could be solved.

Also, this is the first time I think that it has been suggested to me to take meds. My doctor gave me the number of a psychotherapist, but meds? Just haven't been on medication like that before, so I would be scared to what it does to my personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:02 PM

937 posts, read 743,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. Mostly the things I hate about my job are these two things:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nts-being.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-bathroom.html

Plus, many co-workers there are drama queens, but it's because of the bathroom problem and what not, I feel, and feel morale would be better if that issue could be solved.

Also, this is the first time I think that it has been suggested to me to take meds. My doctor gave me the number of a psychotherapist, but meds? Just haven't been on medication like that before, so I would be scared to what it does to my personality.
I have taken something in the past but only resolving to myself that it would be short term. I did more holistic things simultaneously to help relieve the stress and to learn some new coping strategies that would be long term, sustainable solutions. I didn't want to get addicted to anything. You could talk to your therapist or doc about something that would relax you during the day and then help you dose off to sleep. You could try it for a couple of months and then plan to wean off with the doctor's help while also going to therapy. This may help you break the intensely painful cycle of thoughts and accompanying emotions that you have going on right now that is also disrupting your sleep making your days and nights sound pretty hellish. You may want to ask the doc about something to help you relax and sleep in the evenings, and then see if getting more sleep improves your ability to cope at work during the day. Then you may not need anything during the day. Probably the best route is always going to be less medication when possible. You can talk to your therapist or doc about the possibilities and let them know you'd like to be conservative trying out any meds.

The bathroom situation sounds awful and inhumane. Can you complain to a regulating employment agency? Here in the US that would be lawsuit territory.

Last edited by Chloe333; 06-27-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 05:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Everyone I know hates their jobs, including me.

When I'm feeling like I can't take another second of the place, I remind myself why I am working:

1. Paycheck
2. Profit sharing
3. Health insurance
4. PTO (free money)
5. Bigger SS payment in retirement

My mantra? "Every day I'm here is one day closer to that day when I'm not."

I guess you have to change your attitude about working. Would the alternative (not working) be better? Likely not. Glass half full and all.

Best of luck to you!
Mod cut.

I am fifty years old, and working in professional roles since January 1990, a month out of undergrad. Back then, if one had super-marketable skills and internships, once could rapidly find work. My Plan A went south, but Plan B was right behind it. Life has been good since.

But...work bites. It just bites. There are good months and bad months, or good and bad patches if you will. I have never had a job that paid well, was fun, and left enough time for me to spend time with loved ones or friends or doing things I want. It doesn't exist, that I know of.

Twenty eight years of that...and maybe 9-12 more to go, I'm guessing. Any existentialist will tell you that life is mostly about suffering, and the brief interludes of happiness we grasp in between. Some of us function better under that suffering that others, clearly.

My work solves little, so no consolation there, though one might argue moving corporate systems to Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud is forwarding human interests in at least small ways. But I don't cure the sick, stop war, or help mend divisions in society. I do make good money, and those 2) - 5) mentioned above, at end of the day: that's that.

Deal with it, OP.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-29-2018 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Extremely rude.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,357 times
Quit your job. For crying out loud. It's killing you, literally. Chronic stress is actually deadly. Go work somewhere else, anywhere else. Just do it. And on your way out the door, tell your employers that they are violating federal workplace laws.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
I think I have some advice that might help.
What would you rather be doing than working. Do you have a passion for the outdoors? Art? Writing?
Sports.? Fishing? Boating? Carpentry? Things that you would love to do more of but you can't when you are at work. Well then work enough at the that job you don't really like so that you can support doing the things you that you like a lot. Worth a try.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
Get another job.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Quit your job. For crying out loud. It's killing you, literally. Chronic stress is actually deadly. Go work somewhere else, anywhere else. Just do it. And on your way out the door, tell your employers that they are violating federal workplace laws.
I am looking for a new job, just haven't found one yet, but it's hard to have time to look with a current job, as that limits my time to look for a new one and limits interview availability, so it's been tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Judas priest, what part of the above is hard for OP to understand?

I am fifty years old, and working in professional roles since January 1990, a month out of undergrad. Back then, if one had super-marketable skills and internships, once could rapidly find work. My Plan A went south, but Plan B was right behind it. Life has been good since.

But...work bites. It just bites. There are good months and bad months, or good and bad patches if you will. I have never had a job that paid well, was fun, and left enough time for me to spend time with loved ones or friends or doing things I want. It doesn't exist, that I know of.

Twenty eight years of that...and maybe 9-12 more to go, I'm guessing. Any existentialist will tell you that life is mostly about suffering, and the brief interludes of happiness we grasp in between. Some of us function better under that suffering that others, clearly.

My work solves little, so no consolation there, though one might argue moving corporate systems to Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud is forwarding human interests in at least small ways. But I don't cure the sick, stop war, or help mend divisions in society. I do make good money, and those 2) - 5) mentioned above, at end of the day: that's that.

Deal with it, OP.

How does one deal with it though, without going crazy eventually, what is the thing I am doing wrong in dealing with it?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:13 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am looking for a new job, just haven't found one yet, but it's hard to have time to look with a current job, as that limits my time to look for a new one and limits interview availability, so it's been tough.
So how many interviews have you had to turn down so far?

Stop that defeatist overthinking right now.

You have at least 6-8 non-working, non-sleeping hours a day to "look for a new one." Your brain (attitude) is getting in your way. Can't you see that?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So how many interviews have you had to turn down so far?

Stop that defeatist overthinking right now.

You have at least 6-8 non-working, non-sleeping hours a day to "look for a new one." Your brain (attitude) is getting in your way. Can't you see that?

I've gotten two three call backs in the last few months but by the time I called them back they had got back to me later and told they already hired someone. I felt that if I wasn't working, I wouldn't have missed their calls.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 675,892 times
Change your job! For the last two years of teaching, I hated it every day. I was moody and irritable, verge of divorce and like you, I thought it was all normal. It's not. I changed jobs and everything got better. I cannot stress how finding a new job that you enjoy will benefit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology