Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 02:10 PM

1,091 posts, read 580,096 times

Advertisements

I have a tendency to over-think everything. I suspect someone not-so-subtly tried to point this out to me recently.

An acquaintance of mine recently gave me contact information for a man whose services I expressed interest in. After thinking it to death, I decided to hold off on contacting the guy until after my upcoming vacation, on the basis that I'll have significantly more free time then.

I sent an email, thanking this woman for giving me the information and adding why I was going to wait to make contact. Her response was a simple "Enjoy your vacation!" along with a quote regarding the pointlessness of explaining oneself.

So, was I wasting my breath telling her my plans? I only did so because she'd apparently contacted the guy saying I'd be in touch and I didn't want any misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 02:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I have a tendency to over-think everything.
You're doing it again.

Yours was a nice gesture. She didn't have to say anything about it, but I suspect she WAS trying to tell you "thanks, but I wasn't even worried about it."

Old 06-30-2018, 04:02 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You're doing it again.

Yours was a nice gesture. She didn't have to say anything about it, but I suspect she WAS trying to tell you "thanks, but I wasn't even worried about it."

this.

I tend to do it too OP....it's not the worst habit to have...

Old 06-30-2018, 05:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
People are surprising; you never know which direction they're going to turn. And what works beautifully with one person will completely fall flat with someone else (kind of like with men). So don't stress over trivial matters.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I think if you can channel this into your career you could be an excellent crisis manager, wedding planner or project manager. But for everyday life, you might try asking yourself if some little thing might be better left alone.

But there is a place in this world for people who think about consequences and how to manage unforeseen possibilities.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:23 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think if you can channel this into your career you could be an excellent crisis manager, wedding planner or project manager. But for everyday life, you might try asking yourself if some little thing might be better left alone.

But there is a place in this world for people who think about consequences and how to manage unforeseen possibilities.
I agree! The last sentence reminds me of what a responsible adult would do.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
So, was I wasting my breath telling her my plans? I only did so because she'd apparently contacted the guy saying I'd be in touch and I didn't want any misunderstanding.
In that case I would have contacted the guy directly to tell him that you would be travelling until x date, but would be in touch to set up a meeting after that, so that he doesn't think you're a flake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology