Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We look for easy solutions to major life problems. I'm not saying don't do things you like to do, but if you've got a serious medical condition such as depression, fishing or rolling skating alone is not going to cure the issue. For those lucky folks who have never felt true depression, first, I'm very glad for you. But you can't really understand what a depressed person feels inside. And telling them to "find a hobby" is not helping in the long run.

That's not even to mention that I had (have) hobbies that I love, but when I'm at my mot depressed, the depression robs me of all positive feelings to the point where I start disliking my hobby.

I’d say that clinical depression is a whole other issue and the op perhaps should have clarified situational depression. As for unhappiness I regard myself a generally happy person whose had to deal with a lot of unhappy things. One situation plunged me into a year of crushing loss and misery. It certainly had nothing to do with being bored but apparently the minute you tell someone you are grieving they tell you need counseling and Prozac. Sometimes we need a safe group of friends or a place to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,511 times
A very wise man told me once that if something's depressing me and I've tried and tried to solve an issue, "Count to ten, and say eff-it".
I know this sounds glib but it may help someone.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
A very wise man told me once that if something's depressing me and I've tried and tried to solve an issue, "Count to ten, and say eff-it".
I know this sounds glib but it may help someone.
Well that sounds useful. I really have no idea if I've suffered from the hardcore, clinical depression another poster referred to. I think I may have, but I don't know as the only way I would know for sure is to have seen someone who would have evaluated me. At the very least, you would have to admit that some people are just stronger than others, but it's certainly true that life circumstances vary widely.

It's probably not possible to evaluate the depths of feeling of anyone via posts on an internet forum.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Well that sounds useful. I really have no idea if I've suffered from the hardcore, clinical depression another poster referred to. I think I may have, but I don't know as the only way I would know for sure is to have seen someone who would have evaluated me. At the very least, you would have to admit that some people are just stronger than others, but it's certainly true that life circumstances vary widely.

It's probably not possible to evaluate the depths of feeling of anyone via posts on an internet forum.
Coming right after admitting you did not seek professional help when you may have been clinically depressed, the bolded statement almost sounds like victim shaming. Words matter. If you mentioned this to someone you truly care, it could affect them negatively for years and they may never tell you. Depressed people are as strong as anyone else.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Coming right after admitting you did not seek professional help when you may have been clinically depressed, the bolded statement almost sounds like victim shaming. Words matter. If you mentioned this to someone you truly care, it could affect them negatively for years and they may never tell you. Depressed people are as strong as anyone else.

I couldn’t rep you again so I just wanted to say I agree.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:25 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I couldn’t rep you again so I just wanted to say I agree.
Thank you, Spuggy. I hope the OP takes my comments as constructive criticism. I'm not purposefully trying to come down on her. Just trying to share my POV and

Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,326 times
There have been little bouts of happiness in my life but never any prolonged periods that I would be able to distinguish from the unhappy periods. I can't isolate a particular prolonged period of happiness and say "that's what made me happy." That's why I'm always left with puzzled when someone tells me I need a hobby. A hobby has never made me happy before, why would it work now? I like to read. That's probably when I'm closest to what someone might call happiness.

Last edited by RJ_; 07-02-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 09:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
So many people post in this forum who seem to be so unhappy; personal problems of all kinds, problems with family, problems with love. But it seems to me sometimes that the person is just, really, bored. They are not doing anything that makes them hapoy, they're just ruminating over the behavior of this or that person. And it's pointless because you can't change people. And you shouldn't put your life on hold, waiting for them to change.

I am not qualified to evaluate anyone but I wonder if often it would help to set the ruminating aside for a moment and figure out what would really bring joy into their life. It could be anything: rollerskating, bicycling, cooking, playing music, whatever made them happy as a child. I firmly believe that everyone has gifts. You have to find what makes you happy and pursue it. And tell people, if they're not going to be sweet to you, they can't be in your life.
I'm not qualified to evaluate anyone, but my hunch is that people who put others down, have some feelings of inadequacy, and do so in order to try and build themselves up in their own minds, which of course, is also potentially treatable with a good counselor. Or a good hobby, so they aren't so bored, and wasting precious time ruminating on the supposed faults of others.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
A great big reason for clinical depression is chemical imbalance in the brain and has nothing to do with environment but rather whatever the brain decides to do with the chemicals at any given time. So that means depression cannot be predicted or predestined. It is a very serious disease and can be deadly.
It takes more than throwing medication at it to treat. So yes it can be treated but there is no guarantee.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,794 times
Quote:
We look for easy solutions to major life problems. I'm not saying don't do things you like to do, but if you've got a serious medical condition such as depression, fishing or rolling skating alone is not going to cure the issue. For those lucky folks who have never felt true depression, first, I'm very glad for you. But you can't really understand what a depressed person feels inside. And telling them to "find a hobby" is not helping in the long run.

That's not even to mention that I had (have) hobbies that I love, but when I'm at my mot depressed, the depression robs me of all positive feelings to the point where I start disliking my hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
A great big reason for clinical depression is chemical imbalance in the brain and has nothing to do with environment but rather whatever the brain decides to do with the chemicals at any given time. So that means depression cannot be predicted or predestined. It is a very serious disease and can be deadly. It takes more than throwing medication at it to treat. So yes it can be treated but there is no guarantee.
Thanks to both of you for these points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology