Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
isolation indicates a separation from others that it not necessarily voluntary or a situation that is one's ideal choosing.

I like this definition because it helped me put solitude in context. I think solitude is a connection with self; isolation is a disconnection from self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 AM

5,403 posts, read 3,593,689 times
isolation is merely the state of being isolated or apart from other people, either voluntary or forced upon one by circumstances .

Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Solitude = voluntary and desired.

Isolation = involuntary and undesirable.
That is the correct answer, simple and well-put.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:20 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
I think this article explains the difference well. As some astute posters have noted, solitude is actively sought to satisfy an inner yearning after whereas isolation is actively avoided and imposed by outside forces. Solitude expands a person's energy and mental activity whereas isolation contracts it and drains it. It's similar to being alone versus being lonely.

I do best feeling connected to humanity when I am not being a total recluse but where I limit my dealings with people to either brief interactions with most people or occasional socializing for longer periods with a few select people. I go out and interact with people at they gym stores, and restaurants. Once a week I have a quality get-together with a friend where we walk around the mall for two hours and solve the problems of the world. But nothing makes me feel lonelier, more isolated, and disconnected than being with a person one-on-one or in a group where it's the obvious that not only is my presence not really valued, but it's barely noticed---like being with a friend who is just playing on her phone the whole time and wouldn't notice, at least for a long while, if I never came back after using the restroom. I did a lot of Meetup groups for a while, thinking that the constant meeting and interacting with people would lead to deep human connection, but never felt lonelier than with people who were escaping themselves by getting out of the house but who didn't know how or want to expend the energy to connect.

https://evolutioncounseling.com/isol...rsus-solitude/

Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 AM

you can have VOLUNTARY isolation, it dosent have to be imposed by someone else, of course that would probably make you a hermit or a recluse.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Solitude is richness of self, loneliness is poverty of self.
Great statement and I will add a quote that I embrace as well. I don't remember where I discovered this, likely somewhere in my reading and it suits me to a T (tittle, “to the smallest detail”) and self imposed.

I've never found a companion who was so companionable as solitude.

To me, it is preferable to suffering fools gladly I can barely tolerate my own stupidity sometimes let alone that of others. Of course there are exceptions due to the burden of mandatory social obligations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So, if not perceived as a hardship, is it inherently unhealthy or deleterious?
If it is desirable, preferable and is self imposed...I don't find it unhealthy or unfavorable but rather beneficial for mental and physical health for some people, myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I don't know the technical psychological definitions. They both speak to a state of being alone. To me, solitude is choosing to be alone; isolation is being forced to be alone. Solitude is something that one might consciously seek ("get away from it all") but isolation might be imposed by others (such as someone being shunned by their community). One might be refreshed by solitude but oppressed by isolation.
This says it all.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 AM

isolation is only oppressive if one lets it be.
the trouble is that the general obsession of human beings is to herd together, but not all of us require this, so for most isolation is something to avoid, but for some of us, a small number granted, isolation is the ideal and nothing to be frightened of, indeed it is to be enjoyed.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Solitude has a positive connotation. Reflection. Introspection. Pleasant time away from it all. Isolation has a netural to negative connotation. Involuntarily separated.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Solitude has a positive connotation. Reflection. Introspection. Pleasant time away from it all. Isolation has a netural to negative connotation. Involuntarily separated.
solitude merely means one is on ones own, not with other people. solo.
isolation means virtually the same, except that other people are not just not with the solo person but some way off.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
That is the correct answer, simple and well-put.
Well, that's basically how I defined the two terms, adding that solitude is also usually temporary while isolation tends to be longer-term; more chronic/permanent.

I'm slightly more interested now in whether or not it actually has negative effects on the human psyche. After all, solitary confinement is generally regarded as the harshest punishment that can be imposed on a person as punishment. Is it really? Is it the solitude itself, or something else? Perhaps the lack of control or just the implication that it's SUPPOSED to do harm (the power of suggestion)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology