Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 03:02 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times

Advertisements

I am tired of doing things I don't really want to do to make others happy while I am unhappy. Is there any working technique to say no and set boundaries? (for example, having a dinner with family when I have other important things to do for University or work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 04:26 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Just practice to say NO, mean it, and don't feel guilty. Be firm and direct. Sometimes consider a compromise, though.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...d-learn-say-no

Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Is there anyone you know who does a good job of this? Watch what they do, and practice their technique. Sometimes it's easier to take on someone else's persona as you're learning a new skill.

Also, elnina is correct, you not only have the right to say no, but there are times when you need to in order to take care of yourself. Guilt is a crippling emotion and usually unwarranted.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
You give no context of your circumstances. Do you live at home or have your own place?

If you live at home and don’t want to sit down to family meals, then arrange to go elsewhere during dinner time for part of the week to study and state your covered to dinner and thanks. On other days state you have major homework and you’ll make yourself a sandwich,and maybe sit down with family once or twice a week.

Do you pay rent, help pay for food or utilities? Do you offer to help cook, or even cook a family meal now and again. Who does all the cooking and cleaning? And how many are in your family. Also why presume that they expect you to make them happy? This is a weakness on your part.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I am tired of doing things I don't really want to do to make others happy while I am unhappy. Is there any working technique to say no and set boundaries? (for example, having a dinner with family when I have other important things to do for University or work).
If you are benefiting from your family in some way, the "technique" is planning and communication. Because you are not flexible, you need to communicate when you are available. You may also need to plan in advance to make yourself available.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:50 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Tell the truth. "I can't have dinner tonight because I have school/work tasks to complete." So many problems would be avoided if people were honest and didn't look for ways to soften the blow. Others need to learn to be comfortable with "no" just as much as you need to learn to be comfortable saying it.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Quote:
From my own experience, if you are truly ready to stop betraying yourself by being a people pleaser, it will take some time and grit, but it can be done.

The good thing is that saying no is like a muscle that gets stronger the more you exercise it. It might take you some fierce self-talk to be able to do it the first few times, and you will have to brace yourself and be strong, because the people who have gotten accustomed to you never turning them down for anything will not believe you mean it. They will likely persist in asking and complain when you keep saying no: “This isn’t like you, why aren’t you being nice to us?” “Don’t you love your (insert family member) anymore?” etc.

My best advice is, if you have a good friend you can be yourself with, actually role play with them portaying the persistent family member and you finding multiple ways to say no, depending on who’s doing the asking/demanding. Have them be hard on you and try to guilt you, or whatever you anticipate as the challenges you'll be facing. If you do this, you will be surprised at how easily the phrases come out when you are in the actual situation.

One thing that helped me in this journey was something I remembered someone saying a long time ago: “It’s easier to change a no into a yes than a yes into a no.” So I made it a rule, for anything I was less than 100% excited about, to always say no first, and then if I changed my mind later, no problem. A couple of phrases I have found useful are:
  • “I can’t remember what I’m doing that week. Let me check my day planner” (which is on paper, not on my phone, so I conveniently never actually have it with me)
  • “I have a few things that I haven’t heard back on yet. I should know more after next Tuesday, and I’ll let you know.”
  • "I can't really commit because my work might call me in and I told them I'd be available all day."
  • “No, that doesn’t sound like my idea of fun.” (this is more advanced and not easy to pull off at the beginning, but I like it because it’s hard to argue with)
I began doing this some years ago, and now it comes second nature, and instead of assuming I’ll tie myself into knots to please others, or trying to persuade me to do things I don’t want to do, people who know me will suggest something and if I say no, that’s it. In the end, I have found that it’s a lot better to have others irritated at me for a little while than to be inwardly angry and disappointed all the time because I never stood up for myself.

Good luck--you can do this!

Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Tell the truth. "I can't have dinner tonight because I have school/work tasks to complete." So many problems would be avoided if people were honest and didn't look for ways to soften the blow. Others need to learn to be comfortable with "no" just as much as you need to learn to be comfortable saying it.

Agreed. Many, if not most people, take it as a personal affront when denied.

and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
... They will likely persist in asking and complain when you keep saying no: “This isn’t like you, why aren’t you being nice to us?” “Don’t you love your (insert family member) anymore?” etc.

This kind of response is exactly what I'm talking about. Great answers.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:42 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I highly recommend the book Boundaries by Henry Cloud. It's a light, easily digestible read.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:06 PM

892 posts, read 483,698 times
"just letting you know I'd rather do ____; nothing personal. maybe we can work something else out? i can let you know if i change my mind, or not. hope you have a nice time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology