Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 14,806 times

Advertisements

I think the author's being dramatic about people looking at her tattoos and paying them appropriate attention. If you have visible tattoos and/or other body modifications, people are going to notice and remark on them. That being said, I do understand her being upset over people touching them or crouching down to look at her thighs.

I myself have a tattoo about the size of an index card above my right boob/under my collarbone. It's pretty visible. If I'm not wearing a high-necked shirt, at least part of it is exposed. I've had some compliments and comments by strangers, which I've expected. Nothing creepy, no touching. That's part of having tattoos.

But touching, crouching down to see, etc. is kinda weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 04:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Let's face it, no one covers themselves with tats just to hide in the bushes!
I expect that except in some exotic cultures and ethnic ceremonial use of tattoos most are intended to be a social transmission of some sort of message. It's like a bumper sticker, except it's on your body. Oh and bumper stickers come off! (lol) Perhaps I'm wrong but I see tattoos and other body art as transmissions of social data such as gang tats (I'm bad ass, don't mess with me) or "style tats" (Kanji and other Chinese/Japanese stuff perceived as cool by some), Celtic knots are kind'a cool! But I can't comprehend by any but a few don't know exactly what they are doing, and I'm pretty certain that all of them are sending some kind of social message.

My own temporary body art (an abstract new age line drawing) is my message that I'm a bit unconventional, and I might be fun. I like a bit of a mock bad boy image knowing that anybody who gets to know me knows I'm a straight arrow. It's okay to bring a bit of role playing into your real life, as long as you remember to be real to the people who matter to you.

Quote:
She wanted attention. She got attention. She doesn't like the attention. So, she complains about the attention she is getting!!!
Okay here is my thought experiment. Maybe this is my version of Schrödinger's famous quasi-dead cat quantum physics thought experiment.

Test subject #1: Woman from article in OP exactly as she is now but never got any tats..

Test subject #2: Woman from article, as evidenced by the rant... um, excuse me, I mean her article.

Run each of the above through a day of annoying encounters with men who covet her, who have been conditioned to believe that men who never ask for it never get dates. Factor in something like men having various knowledge and techniques ranging from little and gross, to experienced and sophisticated. Irrespective our two subjects are exposed to the standard, mixed set of men.

My guess is that the subject with the body art might get more attention, but I think she brought that on herself because she must have known getting tats would attract more attention.

And I guess that the subject without the body art would still feel like they get hit on excessively when they don't want it.

For example I just got back from the market. I have a minor illness and I just wanted to grab and run. I would have been bummed out if I encountered an attractive woman whether she or I noticed the other. But I was definitely in a no social mode, skedaddle and get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
As for your videos...man, play superficial games with superficial people, win superficial prizes.
Can I get like 3 doors of superficial prizes, and then you open one of the doors and show me something yucky to tease me into which of the other two doors I pick?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I can never get over the "pat the belly" actions of people that pregnant women don't know...
I see people complain about that online, but I've never seen anyone actually do it, nor was it done to me when I was pregnant.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I see people complain about that online, but I've never seen anyone actually do it, nor was it done to me when I was pregnant.

I had it done to me and was shocked.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:03 PM

255 posts, read 183,736 times
Hmm I get that she's kinda annoyed but it wouldn't bother me to talk about mine.it would certainly bother me if people touched them ...when I was pregnant people would just walk up and touch me or ask stupid questions. Ugh

Old 07-30-2018, 11:11 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If you wear tattoos publicly, do you get to complain that people look at them?
"You" can complain about whatever you like. While I agree that the author is being a bit dramatic, I think it's disingenuous to act like she's just complaining about them catching people's eye, or about people casually having a look. She's complaining about people making inane comments, touching her, being nosy, invading her space, etc, all of which is rude, tats or no tats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She DOES complain about men looking, because (horrors!) they're looking at her body, and that makes her uncomfortable.
She complained about someone 360 circling her and crouching down to get a better look. That's not just "men looking." It's intrusive and has a predatory vibe.

Quote:
Let's face it, no one covers themselves with tats just to hide in the bushes!

She wanted attention. She got attention. She doesn't like the attention. So, she complains about the attention she is getting!!!
Congratulations on developing telepathic abilities! Will you being going to work for the CIA, or perhaps joining a circus act? Maybe some masked crimefighting is in your future?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Some people have a nasty attitude towards other people. They don't want to be talked to, and if you try, they act like you have done something horrible to them. Those people...well, if you want to live in that mindset, that is your prerogative I figure. Another thing, too, is I know women who assume (vocally and annoyingly) that every guy who says something casually friendly to them or tries to chat a bit, is some kind of a creeper-stalker out to get them or something. Like men can't just be friendly and bored and want to talk? And even if they do have somewhere in mind that it would be super neat if you ended up dating them or something, that doesn't mean that you can't be nice and chat but say "no thanks" to the rest.
Exactly, there's an article out there somewhere that among the 20-something women, a good percentage actually claimed that even being approached was a form of harassment. Even tasteful compliments. Just Google Henry Cavill's statement on approaching women. He's spot on.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
So, the OP was, if you wear tattoos publicly do you get to complain if people talk to you about them.

Sure.

But, it's kind of the same thing where a woman gets to complain if she's treated like a loose woman, if she wears a really short skirt and a really low-cut dress.

No, she wasn't asking to be raped. But, she's guaranteed to get a lot more attention. When a woman wears a really low cut blouse, so her cleavage is front and center, does she get to complain that everyone is looking at her breasts?

No, it doesn't mean anyone can touch them or attack her, etc. But, if you're going to flaunt them, of course people are going to look at them.

And if someone is looking for an excuse to start up a conversation, there it is.

So, if you don't want conversation or someone touching you, just give them the evil eye. Put a whistle on your key chain and blow it loudly if someone bugs you.

I read a great line in a book once, "Just because someone is rude enough to ask a question, doesn't mean I have to answer it."

It's not that hard to shut someone down with a look. So, get good at giving the look that shuts them up. But, expect to have to deal with it on a regular basis. It's just animal nature - if you're different, you will draw attention.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Well, even if a perfect stranger were flamboyantly seeking attention I'm not sure why it would be my business to comment on it to them.

Unless I'm going to genuinely and politely offer an unsolicited compliment it's not my business to engage a stranger in personal remarks or excessive examination regardless of how intrigued I may be, as it seems disrespectful of one's "right" to privacy.

That's not to say that I won't have thoughts to myself or share them discreetly with my partner regarding said attention seeker.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Well, even if a perfect stranger were flamboyantly seeking attention I'm not sure why it would be my business to comment on it to them.

Unless I'm going to genuinely and politely offer an unsolicited compliment it's not my business to engage a stranger in personal remarks or excessive examination regardless of how intrigued I may be, as it seems disrespectful of one's "right" to privacy.

That's not to say that I won't have thoughts to myself or share them discreetly with my partner regarding said attention seeker.
Exactly. I see people all the time with weird piercings weird hair and all kinds of on usual appearance features. Never do I walk up to them and start quizzing them about why they got them and blah blah blah. In a social setting, that is different. I do ask people questions in social settings. But for total strangers to approach anyone ask personal questions is rude. People are acting like because she has these tattoos, she somehow belongs to the world now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology