Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:54 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times

Advertisements

I usually have a strategy to make things more consistent and do many of the things mentioned by the previous posters especially by Sand&Salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Distractions are the only thing that works for my "ruminations". Binge-watch a Netflix series; walk the beach and study the wildlife; get immersed in a great book. Of course, listening to others' problems (and chances are, that's all YOU do is listen, since "everyone" is a bad listener) at least takes your mind off yours, but that's my last remedy for a reason! Sometimes cooking while listening to upbeat music, works for awhile. Something complicated and time-consuming that keeps, and maybe you can share.

Take a trip if you can afford it.
When somebody says, "we have a history" it usually means a negative one. Therefore, I decided that I would only have mostly positive histories to tell and sometimes that means changing up the routine.

In addition to the things above, I read and post on City-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 05:32 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I usually have a strategy to make things more consistent and do many of the things mentioned by the previous posters especially by Sand&Salt.

When somebody says, "we have a history" it usually means a negative one. Therefore, I decided that I would only have mostly positive histories to tell and sometimes that means changing up the routine.

In addition to the things above, I read and post on City-data.

Thanks elyn...I do lose myself in CD too...helps to get involved with others and also learn new things, discuss new topics...share a few smiles.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I turn off and read a book. Don't answer my phone or get on the computer.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:48 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
...from your own troubling ways??

You know the saying...
wherever you go, there you are...

How do you take a short breather from yourself, your exquisite flaws, your past?

Do you drink, meditate, laugh, shop, ignore everything or what???

Sit by yourself and learn to quiet yourself. How to soothe and pamper yourself. Love yourself.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
...from your own troubling ways??

You know the saying...
wherever you go, there you are...

How do you take a short breather from yourself, your exquisite flaws, your past?

Do you drink, meditate, laugh, shop, ignore everything or what???
I'm waiting for someone to invent a happy pill. Until then, watercolor pencils. And tomatoes.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I'm waiting for someone to invent a happy pill. Until then, watercolor pencils. And tomatoes.

Yes, a big, beautiful tomato to have this evening....wrapped in a warm tortilla with a little mayo and cheese....

Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
that sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!

I am in the same boat.... but in addition to two cats, I have 5 dogs...... I have their evening meals covered by my housemate..... but I have to hire someone to come in for the dogs' breakfasts in the mornings..... and to do the cats' litter boxes.....

I have discovered that the vet techs at my vet's office are GREAT for this ..... they are experienced critter people and already know my dogs and the dogs get to see them in a less stressful environment..... win, win, win all the way around......

I paid about $20 per day the last time I traveled, a little over a week over the last few days in Feb and the first few in March...... That is what I paid a professional pet sitter back in the early to mid 90's who was afraid to give one of my then cats his daily pill.....

I DESPERATELY need a week or so away right now, but don't see it happening until Feb into March again in 2019...... I will take Labor Day and the day after Thanksgiving off as well as the week between Christmas and New Years, but these will be staycations..... I have had some major expenses pop up this year and will be paying them off for a while..... but after that.... look out beaches, here I come!!!!

Last edited by latetotheparty; 08-02-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
It depends really what sort of mood I’m in. If it’s an option and I’m in that mood, hiking out in nature has absolutely worked for me in clearing my mind, getting in touch with a quieter area and my surroundings, and it can be peaceful. Just me and my thoughts, but it has a tendency to unlock more thoughts and better ones.

Other times like this Saturday, when I wake up late, I’m binge watching Entourage because I love that show and it always freshens and sharpens my motivation for fimmaking. It’s relaxing and gives me sort of a jolt of energy.

Other times it’s hanging out with a close friend and getting some social interaction.

I have a fairly rebellious personality so sometimes for me I’ll hit Friday night (I work for myself, but arbitrarily usually take weekends off anyway) I’ll binge watch movies until whenever I don’t feel like doing it anymore. If that’s 7 am oh well, I don’t care, because I like not to have any boundaries or rules. It makes me feel free. If I couldn’t do that sometimes, I’d feel confined.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It depends really what sort of mood I’m in. If it’s an option and I’m in that mood, hiking out in nature has absolutely worked for me in clearing my mind, getting in touch with a quieter area and my surroundings, and it can be peaceful. Just me and my thoughts, but it has a tendency to unlock more thoughts and better ones.

Other times like this Saturday, when I wake up late, I’m binge watching Entourage because I love that show and it always freshens and sharpens my motivation for fimmaking. It’s relaxing and gives me sort of a jolt of energy.

Other times it’s hanging out with a close friend and getting some social interaction.

I have a fairly rebellious personality so sometimes for me I’ll hit Friday night (I work for myself, but arbitrarily usually take weekends off anyway) I’ll binge watch movies until whenever I don’t feel like doing it anymore. If that’s 7 am oh well, I don’t care, because I like not to have any boundaries or rules. It makes me feel free. If I couldn’t do that sometimes, I’d feel confined.
Thank you JonathanLB...I like your thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology