Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:13 PM

292 posts, read 244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
In my social psychology course- text and lecture- we learned that attractive people tend to get treated better by others. A pretty Hispanic girl disagreed and said that that wasn’t necessarily true because that was not the case with her. I wanted to address that then which I didn’t get a chance to, so will here. I wanted to say that I thought that that was because she was not white. This implies that white beauty is the standard of beauty in our society (in the US), hinting at least somewhat at a racist society. Do you think this realy might be the case?
Let's really define the so called " Caucasian race", ok? Because, guess what Hispanics are a part of the larger Latin genotype. Spanish, French, Italians, Portuguese and almost all of Latin American. All most Mexicans.( some native Mexican Indians share genetics with many of our Native American Indians)
Hispanics are part of what you are calling " White " The Latin ethnic group is part of the Caucasian race. Just like Germans and Scandinavians are part of the Germanic genotype, and are also part of the Caucasian Race

You do know that the term "Hispanic" was created as a social conscript, don't you? Read up on it. Because the last time I posted "uncopyrighted" videos or scholarly medical journals about this topic...they were removed from my post.

There has been those groups who profit from the division of people based on their race, creed, ethnic group or culture. Genetics proves otherwise....we have more in common than not.

With that said, beauty is, and will always be in the eye of the beholder. Although the in-vogue beauty culture of the era uses MSMedia to promote certain ideals of beauty. One generation favors skinny women who look like tomboys. The next generation favors full figured women with bootys and a good sized chest to match. Next generation embraces truly athletic figures on women.

In my lifetime....having a dark tan was super popular, then looking rather pale and "gothic" was in style. Blonde hair and blue eyed models....then hot lush looking Latinas with " Disney princess hair" Diva Queens of color Like Beyoncé and Rihanna. Beautiful mixed race women like Iman ( David Bowie's wife) and othe exotic females walking the Earth.

Most of us are not of one ethnicity, many of us are not of just one race, even if this is not always obvious via your skin color...yeah, surprised?

This has been studied and manipulated for eternity...the fairer sex. And it has been used to "divide women as well" This is sad, and it is one of the reasons "why there has never been a true sisterhood on par with the bond that most men share with each other."

There is beauty in every woman....embrace yours!

BTW, I am a mixed race, and ethnicity ( and happy about it! My mixed genetics provided me with some unusual, exotic looks) gal who is beyond tired of the divide and conquer (and control) manipulation going on in the media in the "current year +3"

Old 08-15-2018, 05:09 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
If whites are considered more attractive than darker skinned people then what do we do about it? Romantic interest is pretty much the only aspect of our culture where racial preferences are still allowed. I'm not sure how you could change that to be any other way. Do we start dictating who people are allowed to date? Force advertisers to use models of particular races?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 AM

292 posts, read 244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If whites are considered more attractive than darker skinned people then what do we do about it? Romantic interest is pretty much the only aspect of our culture where racial preferences are still allowed. I'm not sure how you could change that to be any other way. Do we start dictating who people are allowed to date? Force advertisers to use models of particular races?
Ignore what the MSMedia pushes as the "attractiveness of the day" this has been going on since time eternal.

Natural selection for your mate ( or partner, SA..however you wish to express that term) needs to continue for the general health and wellbeing of the species. Once you remove social sigmas from the scene, people are free to chose what works for them.

Opposites have attracted each other forever, it falls onto the couple to see if their values and goals match up to create a relationship.

There is nothing wrong with picking someone from your own ethnic group, nor is their anything wrong with picking someone from a different ethnic group.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:58 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
Ignore what the MSMedia pushes as the "attractiveness of the day" this has been going on since time eternal.

Natural selection for your mate ( or partner, SA..however you wish to express that term) needs to continue for the general health and wellbeing of the species. Once you remove social sigmas from the scene, people are free to chose what works for them.

Opposites have attracted each other forever, it falls onto the couple to see if their values and goals match up to create a relationship.

There is nothing wrong with picking someone from your own ethnic group, nor is their anything wrong with picking someone from a different ethnic group.

Unfortunately while individuals can ignore this , the promotion of beauty standards and biases shapes how society treats us as individuals.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Unfortunately while individuals can ignore this , the promotion of beauty standards and biases shapes how society treats us as individuals.
Yes, it does.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:57 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
What is also confusing to me is how Asians have "yellow" skin? Is it really different than white skin? I know we have black hair and a different culture/background overall, but "yellow"? I had a few young teenagers once tell me I was "white" and I had to tell them while I understand this perception, society does not consider it such. It's interesting and weird to me how Asian women tend to be liked (in this country, US) a lot, but Asian men are not considered attractive unless they are buff, then maybe.
That’s not so different from anything, though. Most guys prefer cute, petite girls. Asian girls fit that bill almost all of the time and are less likely to be fat than any other race. Asian guys are also often cute and petite; unfortunately for them men are expected to be muscular and strong in our culture I have heard many girls say they like Asian guys who are buff but it’s the same for any other guy. On an Internet forum you’ll always find people who can’t wait to tell you how they love fat girls and scrawny dudes but in real life that’s not reality. Fit, petite girls of any race - just as you see in movies and media - and buff, muscular guys are the desired types. It’s also a lot harder work to be in those categories and thus it’s merit-based and fair.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I'm a white woman, and I'm more attracted to males with a distinct non-white ethnicity, particularly Asian and Indian. I also find women of color more strikingly beautiful than white women.
Indians are actually Asians. Just saying

Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
South Asians, to be more accurate. They make that distinction themselves.

And within Asia, Asians distinguish between nationalities.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:21 AM

24 posts, read 29,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Get off your racist angle. Google "most beautiful women" and see who pops up. Hollywood tabloids, cosmetic ads and TV shows confirm the universally preferred appearance.

Women that look like Kate Upton are the standard now, and will be a thousand-years from now. That's the way it is. Bask in it.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Yes I know. I was just adding specificity to my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology