Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:00 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Biology is racist.
Yeah, racists used to make that argument 150 year ago.

But biology proved them wrong, because if biology were racist, different races would not be able to procreate so easily through successive generations.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Cultural mindsets are to blame. Not just the American culture, but many other cultures as well. The natural human tendency is for opposites to attract. Without any cultural norms or habits instilled in childhood, a man or woman is going to gravitate towards someone who looks different i.e. a different race. Marrying someone of the same race is a form of diluted incest. I notice that most Afrikaner (white South Africans of Dutch descent) folks look like one another. It's like they came out of a factory. They form a closed, insular community. It's not that extreme in the US but it's the same general problem.

I know you were asking about attractiveness and not a discussion about the inherent incestuousness of same-race relationships. But I think the two issues are related. It is bizarre that people of X race can find other people of their own race the most attractive. It flies against biology and against Darwinism.

I also get furious when people cite "cultural compatibility" when defending this racist behavior. Race is not culture. A white American woman is probably going to find a white South African man more attractive than an Asian-American man. But this is messed up, because the white American woman and the Asian-American man have broadly the same culture. The white South African man has a completely different culture. Racists don't grasp the true meaning of culture.

I have never been attracted to people of my ethnicity. I am not interested in sexual relations with my relatives, however distant.
Amen. I"m black, and I love black women with darker skin (like me), however, I also find pale white women very attractive as well.

There is an incestuous element when someone insists on dating people that look just like them. Shared culture and values are important, but I wouldn't pass up a white girl I have more in common with just to date a woman that looks like my mom but can't relate to at all. I don't want to date my family. Frankly my family is large enough on both sides where I've had to actually ask black women who their kinfolk were. There was actually an instance where I ALMOST.....uh......."got physical" with a girl that was distant kin (3rd/4th cousins or so) on my father's side. Luckily we had a long conversation at Starbucks. After that, I was like "Adios!"

Old 08-14-2018, 11:39 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
There was an historical statement made by (I think?) one of the presidents or some other powerful person in the US government that when it comes to Native Americans, "we should give them whatever they want, no questions asked." And so we should, though I believe that propensity has lost some ground in the current administration.

But I think that should also be extended to African-Americans. I think black people are beautiful, and have a strength based on centuries of abuse, and should be protected at all costs. Instead, they're incarcerated more, murdered more and live shorter lives, mainly due to the stress of living in a racist society. This offends my sense of justice.

Aretha Franklin - You Are My Sunshine
https://youtu.be/-x5wxciBTc4

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-14-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 02:43 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Cultural mindsets are to blame. Not just the American culture, but many other cultures as well. The natural human tendency is for opposites to attract. Without any cultural norms or habits instilled in childhood, a man or woman is going to gravitate towards someone who looks different i.e. a different race. Marrying someone of the same race is a form of diluted incest. I notice that most Afrikaner (white South Africans of Dutch descent) folks look like one another. It's like they came out of a factory. They form a closed, insular community. It's not that extreme in the US but it's the same general problem.

I know you were asking about attractiveness and not a discussion about the inherent incestuousness of same-race relationships. But I think the two issues are related. It is bizarre that people of X race can find other people of their own race the most attractive. It flies against biology and against Darwinism.

I also get furious when people cite "cultural compatibility" when defending this racist behavior. Race is not culture. A white American woman is probably going to find a white South African man more attractive than an Asian-American man. But this is messed up, because the white American woman and the Asian-American man have broadly the same culture. The white South African man has a completely different culture. Racists don't grasp the true meaning of culture.

I have never been attracted to people of my ethnicity. I am not interested in sexual relations with my relatives, however distant.
Not to mention the biological inadvisability of inbreeding.

Great post.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:03 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,165 times
I'm a white woman, and I'm more attracted to males with a distinct non-white ethnicity, particularly Asian and Indian. I also find women of color more strikingly beautiful than white women.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,530 times
Being a White man, I am more attracted to White women and Hispanic women than Black, Native American, or Asian women. That said, I don't consider the White race to be a superior race That said, member of Race A could be superior to a member of Race B in terms of being nicer or having more decent personality/character. If any such preference is racist, then I suppose its a racism not often seen as divisive as something like company policy that says "Only White people are allowed to be here".

Old 08-14-2018, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,086 times
Really not racist and bothered by overt examples but very few people are free of this.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
In my social psychology course- text and lecture- we learned that attractive people tend to get treated better by others. A pretty Hispanic girl disagreed and said that that wasn’t necessarily true because that was not the case with her. I wanted to address that then which I didn’t get a chance to, so will here. I wanted to say that I thought that that was because she was not white. This implies that white beauty is the standard of beauty in our society (in the US), hinting at least somewhat at a racist society. Do you think this realy might be the case?
Hispanics are racially considered to be Caucasian if they have some Spanish/European blood. There are exceptions, as there are Asian Hispanics and Black Hispanics.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
What is also confusing to me is how Asians have "yellow" skin? Is it really different than white skin? I know we have black hair and a different culture/background overall, but "yellow"? I had a few young teenagers once tell me I was "white" and I had to tell them while I understand this perception, society does not consider it such. It's interesting and weird to me how Asian women tend to be liked (in this country, US) a lot, but Asian men are not considered attractive unless they are buff, then maybe.
Yes, East Asian people have different skin color from white people. Even if South Korean or Chinese female models avoid the sun and bleach their skin.

The average Chinese or Japanese person I know would be said to have "brown" skin if they were Hispanic. I find that US born Asians, even women, do not care about looking pale like their foreign born counterparts, so this is even more apparent. I met a Japanese-American woman once and when guessing her ethnicity I chose Cambodian because she was so tan, but in reality Japanese people can be pretty tan too without any effort.

Besides, racial perception is not that much about literal skin color in my opinion. It's more about facial features, hair texture, culture.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
This implies that white beauty is the standard of beauty in our society (in the US), hinting at least somewhat at a racist society. Do you think this realy might be the case?
OMG, in 2018, this crap still floats to the surface

In the eyes of the professors, maybe

I see women, I do not see race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology