Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,886,768 times

Advertisements

I really hate it when someone says "you're too sensitive." No, you're too INSENSITIVE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 PM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think saying the above in BLUE is dreadful, appalling, atrocious, and rather than taking responsibility, it tries to alleviate the person saying it from taking any responsibility. I find it insulting and repellent.

And most apologies do not involve having 'offended' someone. Most apologies are due when one emotionally hurts someone.
What? It's a total and complete, unqualified apology. It's a complete mea culpa.

I will grant you, it doesn't work unless it's sincere. I didn't account for the possibility that someone said something so horribly offensive that it's unforgivable and can't be excused.

In which case, why in the world would you care if the person apologized? It would mean nothing.

My apology was to cover, as I said, dear friendships where no harm was intended.

And what's the difference between "offending" someone, and "emotionally hurting" someone?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
ClaraC, see my post #17 in this thread. It also explains about using the terminology of intend, intention, didn't intend to.

Examples of emotionally hurting someone is lying to or cheating on a significant other. Or telling someone you love them one week, and then the next week saying you do not love them. Or telling a long-time significant other that you never loved them. Or telling a friend that you can no longer be friends with them. These are just random examples.

Offending someone is being overheard saying you do not like someone's cooking or you criticized their church or you find one of their beliefs not well thought through. Or you tell someone that you think their fashion/clothing sense is not the best.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-15-2018 at 11:05 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,516,949 times
If the relationship is meaningful: marital, family, even work, I have apologized at no fault of my own because the relationship (sometimes) is more important than the argument. If the relationship is meaningful, that is a resource I try to protect.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
If the relationship is meaningful: marital, family, even work, I have apologized at no fault of my own because the relationship (sometimes) is more important than the argument. If the relationship is meaningful, that is a resource I try to protect.
Well, the corollary to this is, the phony apology is offered by someone whom you liked and let into your life a little bit, and then you discover they're crass and a little stupid.

Of course, when this keeps happening the self-reflection that should be ongoing gets a little sticky. Out of, say, a thousand people you interact with online and in RL (in a month, say) how many are going to have the same character and perspectives you'd want in a friend? Probably not many, maybe one or two?

Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I really hate it when someone says "you're too sensitive." No, you're too INSENSITIVE!!!
I agree. They're using shame to allow their verbal impulses to flow, unchecked, and spend zero effort on self control or thought about the repercussions of what they say.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I agree. They're using shame to allow their verbal impulses to flow, unchecked, and spend zero effort on self control or thought about the repercussions of what they say.
And what it indicates is that they really don't care about you and are really not friendship worthy. And that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology