Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,866,901 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this phobia falls under the "silly" category but I have an intense phobia of large flightless birds with the most agitating one coming from those that typically walk freely around zoos (I can't even force myself to type the name out but if you're still confused, this bird forms the NBC logo).

I have a sharp physiological reaction to exposure (pictures, videos, real life viewing) that can make me turn very pale, sweat, and feel instant bouts of intense anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Anything that is round with a bunch of holes in the middle give me the creeps. There is a name for it but, I can't think of it. I can't look at a picture of a wasps nest without getting creeped out.
See post #3.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Doesn't sound like a fear of a navigation system. The GPS didn't create the topography, all it did was try to display what was there at that spot.

I have fears about things like drowning, falling off ladders, and taking a boat too far out into rough sea conditions, but none of those are irrational. In fact they are probably good fears that keep me from doing stupid things a little less often.
The fear is not having control. That thing could lead you to the river. My heart sank when all I saw was sky. I was happy someone was behind me.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:36 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Knew a surgeon who could no longer do surgery...
when he placed his hand in garden gloves, was bitten by brown recluse spider.

Not a silly fear at all!
Wow! That is terrible.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
not as much a phobia as a "nails on a blackboard" revulsion - I can't stand when two forks have their tines stuck together. Can't stand the sight, sound, or feel of when you have to separate them.
Holy cow! I thought I was the only one! I always figured it was a personalized defect. Now I'm (we're!) part of a demographic.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
They forgot Skittles Pox.
I don't think it's contagious.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I don't know if this phobia falls under the "silly" category but I have an intense phobia of large flightless birds with the most agitating one coming from those that typically walk freely around zoos (I can't even force myself to type the name out but if you're still confused, this bird forms the NBC logo).

I have a sharp physiological reaction to exposure (pictures, videos, real life viewing) that can make me turn very pale, sweat, and feel instant bouts of intense anxiety.
My ex-wife felt the same about snakes. You couldn't even mention the word without her freaking out. An image on Facebook was enough to ruin the entire evening.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post

The peafowl is an excellent flyer, going very fast and far, if it wants. There are three species, the common India blue, the more rare Java green and the seldom-seen Congo. They are good birds to have around, as they will warn of intruders and catch all the mice and rats. You should make friends with some at the zoo and discover that your fear is groundless.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:08 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
1. my wife's phobia is hearing teeth biting/hitting the silverware. she gets up from the table and leaves. at weddings.
2. co-worker freaks at turtles. real ones, fake ones, pictures, video, whatever. hates the University of Maryland.
3. lastly, mine is skunks. see a live one and i know i am within spray range. pass a dead one and it is in range all day.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I don't have a phobia of GPS systems, and I occasionally use one when I am in a strange city. I JUST DON'T LIKE THEM.

They ruin your ability to form a mental map of a city and learn the local knowledge that makes travel and exploration enjoyable.

If you look at a map before going somewhere, decide on a route, and there are no construction detours, traffic accidents, or major traffic jams, you will not only get there but you will learn something. If you hit a snag, use the GPS.
Exactly! At least look at a map online or on paper so you have an idea of where you are going.

I've had people stop at my home and try to ask about a location. Weirdly they didn't even know where they were supposed to end up. They were just blindly following a location they punched into their GPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology