Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically, I felt like taking a huge career risk of making my first feature film, which I would want to find distribution for, which talked about before on here, such as here:

How can I start a new life and achieve goals faster?

Now a lot of people are talking me out of it, so I thought I would see a psychotherapist, so he could talk me out if it more, like I was advised to on here before.

But now he is telling me to go for it. He is saying I am not going to be happy and keep on regretting myself, if I don't follow the dream, and stop thinking what if all the time, and being scared.

But should I do it, since I thought everyone was saying it's a bad idea, and that is why I went to him in the first place? I'm more unsure now, or what do you think?

Asking people you don't know and following their recommendations is not a good idea. We here just try to offer best advice but surely you are aware everyone gives differing opinions.

Your therapist knows you, so if it seems a good idea to you go for it!

It's what you really want, right??? Are you just a bit scared, is that holding you back??

Work through the what ifs and do it...you might not get another chance to follow your dreams.

And good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:08 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Home on the line?

Nope.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Making a feature film......

I don't know much about the movie business.....

But, do you have a LOT of experience in many films?

Do you have contacts at senior levels in the industry?

Do you have people that will provide the financing...anything from a few hundred thousand to a few million?

I am all for taking chances... "leap, and the wings will appear". But you have to be smart about what you are doing. Not just some whim, but a serious commitment with EVERYTHING on the line: Money. Hard Work. Really Hard Work. Months of nothing but making a movie. Years of getting the deal done from start to finish.

And you need to be prepared to fail, god forbid, but it happens in the movie biz. Then what? You are exhausted. People hate you because they lost millions. Your career in movies 'might' be done. YOu have a can of nothing but your life tied up in something for which there is no market nor any interest.

Go for it if you are prepared. But don't just do it on a whim because it might be a 'nice' thing to do. It ain't like that...nice....at all.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Wasn't the whole point of seeing a therapist was to get objective and professional advice? Didn't you get that objective professional advice?

Why are you coming back here double and tripling your back and forth?

DO IT. Bite the bullet, and start and finish this project. You will learn from it, you will grow from it, and you will be proud of yourself for following your dream. Don't let fear (or us) get in your way. And don't use us for your crutch and excuse.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM

301 posts, read 189,199 times
I think that if this is something that you really want to try doing, and it's going to weigh on you and turn into a huge regret if you don't, then you should do it. Deep down, I think you already know the answer. Looking for validation is natural, we all do it.

I would caution you against looking for validation (in either direction) from a therapist though. A credible therapist shouldn't be telling clients what to do or influencing decisions or choices. The idea, really, is for the therapist to bring you into a safe and supportive space, in which you can consider choices and decisions with the help of someone who can provide insight on a level that you might not reach on your own.

If your therapist is explicitly telling you what to do and directly influencing decisions, find a new therapist.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:47 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Making a feature film......

I don't know much about the movie business.....

But, do you have a LOT of experience in many films?

Do you have contacts at senior levels in the industry?

Do you have people that will provide the financing...anything from a few hundred thousand to a few million?

I am all for taking chances... "leap, and the wings will appear". But you have to be smart about what you are doing. Not just some whim, but a serious commitment with EVERYTHING on the line: Money. Hard Work. Really Hard Work. Months of nothing but making a movie. Years of getting the deal done from start to finish.

And you need to be prepared to fail, god forbid, but it happens in the movie biz. Then what? You are exhausted. People hate you because they lost millions. Your career in movies 'might' be done. YOu have a can of nothing but your life tied up in something for which there is no market nor any interest.

Go for it if you are prepared. But don't just do it on a whim because it might be a 'nice' thing to do. It ain't like that...nice....at all.

Try it knowing you could fail. But you won't know til you try ironpony. I'm thinking he's not talking of the same type of film as the above poster is discussing....

You know we follow you and your trials and errors, ip. We support you, it'll be fun no matter what the outcome. Add there will be valuable lessons learned...

Be open and have a great time working on your project.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Basically, I felt like taking a huge career risk of making my first feature film, which I would want to find distribution for, which talked about before on here, such as here:

How can I start a new life and achieve goals faster?

Now a lot of people are talking me out of it, so I thought I would see a psychotherapist, so he could talk me out if it more, like I was advised to on here before.

But now he is telling me to go for it. He is saying I am not going to be happy and keep on regretting myself, if I don't follow the dream, and stop thinking what if all the time, and being scared.

But should I do it, since I thought everyone was saying it's a bad idea, and that is why I went to him in the first place? I'm more unsure now, or what do you think?
Don't put off your dreams.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
. I'm thinking he's not talking of the same type of film as the above poster is discussing....

The OP said "feature Film". To me, who knows nothing about the movie biz, that means a two hour feature film. After the previews are done, ...and now, our "feature film"....

If we are just talking a hobby film--a ten minute thing to put up on You Tube or other social media, then go for it...big time...there is nothing to lose, and self satisfaction to be gained.

Just help me, OP, to better understand what it is you are trying to produce. Thank you.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Well I probably will have more dependents if I don't make my money back after on selling the movie, which is my biggest fear.

The failure of the movie will cause you to have more kids?

Make the movie, jump off the cliff.

You'll always regret it if you don't.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:44 PM

432 posts, read 359,646 times
I read this thread and some of your last one. You've said that you're "stuck" and given your ambitions and timetable, I expect you're rather overwhelmed. Question: Are you spending lots of time dithering when that time could be put to use furthering your goals? I don't mean go ahead and mortgage your parents' house to buy equipment or whatever (you hint at your situation but the specifics are unclear), just that if you were practicing a kata or working on your script instead of reading this reply RIGHT NOW, that might be a more constructive use of your time than asking random strangers our opinions.

Perhaps more helpful would be to find some kind of coach who will help you break down your ambitions into steps, in the proper sequence, with a metric so that you can check off specific accomplishments on which you can build. I don't know if this is a "life coach" or a "therapist" or who, but if you can find somebody good at organization and motivation to pay by the hour to meet with, once a week at first and less often as you get on track, seems like it might be of benefit.

Good luck! Now get off city-data and get to work!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology