Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Basically, I felt like taking a huge career risk of making my first feature film, which I would want to find distribution for, which talked about before on here, such as here:

How can I start a new life and achieve goals faster?

Now a lot of people are talking me out of it, so I thought I would see a psychotherapist, so he could talk me out if it more, like I was advised to on here before.

But now he is telling me to go for it. He is saying I am not going to be happy and keep on regretting myself, if I don't follow the dream, and stop thinking what if all the time, and being scared.

But should I do it, since I thought everyone was saying it's a bad idea, and that is why I went to him in the first place? I'm more unsure now, or what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
What are the risks of following your dream? If you are young, and have no dependents, then I’d say you should go ahead.

But only you know all the risks, costs, difficulties.

What kind of life do you want for yourself?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:57 PM

Well I probably will have more dependents if I don't make my money back after on selling the movie, which is my biggest fear.

I want to get into the filmmaking career, but I feel that I have to do it myself, and sell it myself, rather than relying on someone to give me a job, without a feature under my belt.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically, I felt like taking a huge career risk of making my first feature film, which I would want to find distribution for, which talked about before on here, such as here:

How can I start a new life and achieve goals faster?

Now a lot of people are talking me out of it, so I thought I would see a psychotherapist, so he could talk me out if it more, like I was advised to on here before.

But now he is telling me to go for it. He is saying I am not going to be happy and keep on regretting myself, if I don't follow the dream, and stop thinking what if all the time, and being scared.

But should I do it, since I thought everyone was saying it's a bad idea, and that is why I went to him in the first place? I'm more unsure now, or what do you think?
Hm.....I think you would have already taken that plunge if you were going to. You seem really unsure and needing way too much advice on this. People who take chances, just take chances, despite the nay sayers. They don't ask a hundred people and go to a shrink before they do it. They are risk takers.

Some people are just those kinds of people, you don't seem to be one of them. They have no fear of consequences and sometimes it pays off but most of the time it's just a fun ride and people are always telling them to grow up, etc. Out of thousands and thousands of people, there are only a few Madonnas who hit the jackpot. To chance takers, it's worth the risk, and they ignore the terrible odds to try it. I've never meant a risk taker that wasn't glad they tried it anyway.

What I would be asking myself is why is it such a huge risk? Is there any way to take some of that risk out of the equation because I want to do this but I'm not a risk taker. Maybe there is a safer approach for you to take, I'd look into a soft try.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 PM

Well just the fact that it could be a waste of money and my home is on the line, is what I mean by huge risk.

But I guess I should be a risk taker. I have taken risks with other things in my life which lead to bad decisions I regretted, so I should be willing to risk this as well, perhaps it's just a bigger risk.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:19 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
What's your back-up plan, if you're not able to find someone to back your film, or buy it, or distribute it?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:52 AM

I guess just go back to looking for other jobs in the industry, such as editing or production audio, or something like that.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I don't want to be rude, but if you're going to shake us down for advice, shouldn't we at least be getting paid what your psychotherapist is?

Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well just the fact that it could be a waste of money and my home is on the line, is what I mean by huge risk.

But I guess I should be a risk taker. I have taken risks with other things in my life which lead to bad decisions I regretted, so I should be willing to risk this as well, perhaps it's just a bigger risk.
Don’t you live with your parents? How is your home on the line?

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Well, sounds like you should keep the job you do have, and do the film thing on the side. Starting off small and doing things on a small scale is okay. Build yourself up and even if you don't reach the heights you want, at least you have a hobby you enjoy and maybe some good friends on the side from it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology