Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 06:53 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I agree. There are a few absolutes, such as to treat others as you want to be treated yourself, but even with bad behaviors, such as lying, there might be times when truth telling would not be kind.

Often there are no bad or good choices, only better or worse choices, or even just other choices.
This brings to my mind, the honor code that is in force at some military institutions. In them, if you know of any wrongdoing and don't immediately rat-out the perpetrator, you are guilty of a serious violation. I never liked the principles behind that policy, although I'm sure that those who subscribe to it, would claim that it's vital to the integrity and survival of the team. But it imposes an absolute set of values and allows for no individual consideration of alternate actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
When I saw this thread I thought of situation ethics or situational ethics, which are ethical choices based on context. This concept troubles people who want everything to be black or white, which is a species of simplistic thinking. It's less work, but it's just not accurate.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I saw this thread I thought of situation ethics or situational ethics, which are ethical choices based on context. This concept troubles people who want everything to be black or white, which is a species of simplistic thinking. It's less work, but it's just not accurate.
Good comments. It does take some critical thinking on so much out in our universe.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good comments. It does take some critical thinking on so much out in our universe.
Thank you. I associate simplistic thinking with racism, as well--a subject I feel more passionately about than nearly any other. In my teaching studio I have people from all over the world: Turkey, Pakistan, China, Africa, India, Mexico, South America, everywhere. And always, lots of minority children from the US. It upsets me that anyone would say mean things to them, based on inaccurate stereotypes.

I associate racism with just the kind of thinking you describe. Maybe the part that I don't understand is how the majority feels threatened. I don't feel threatened by them. I think people all want the same thing: economic security, personal freedom, health, happy children, a safe environment, educational opportunity. Race doesn't play into that for me.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:23 AM

Interesting observation and I agree. I can say that some of the black/white thinkers talkers around here sure have indications of racism. I just love living in such a diverse area of the U.S.

And in recent years for me, spending time in rehabs for my knee, and it was a hard hard time for me, I met a lot of wonderful people from all over the world. I embraced them and me them. We bonded so nicely, as hard as it was for me, the people working with me were wonderful.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Interesting observation and I agree. I can say that some of the black/white thinkers talkers around here sure have indications of racism. I just love living in such a diverse area of the U.S.

And in recent years for me, spending time in rehabs for my knee, and it was a hard hard time for me, I met a lot of wonderful people from all over the world. I embraced them and me them. We bonded so nicely, as hard as it was for me, the people working with me were wonderful.
My thinking on this is that if you have a large enough sample of any ethnicity, you are going to have all types represented on the curve, with respect to any measurable factor: intelligence, character, talent. So race, in itself, doesn't give you much. It's like Dr. King said: we should evaluate people according to their character: do they work hard, are they honest, do they love their families, do they have a sense of humour, and so on. All of these things are independent of race.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:39 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This brings to my mind, the honor code that is in force at some military institutions. In them, if you know of any wrongdoing and don't immediately rat-out the perpetrator, you are guilty of a serious violation. I never liked the principles behind that policy, although I'm sure that those who subscribe to it, would claim that it's vital to the integrity and survival of the team. But it imposes an absolute set of values and allows for no individual consideration of alternate actions.
It's a bit strange to me that this issue seems more uncomfortable to me than it did fifty years ago when it was just a given.

On the other hand when you are dealing with life and death issues and dependent on others to watch your back I can see the value of it.

I suppose it could be compared to wanting your brain surgeon not to get too creative with the standards of his craft.

So maybe for those of us who like some flexibility we need to recognize the right times and places for individuality.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Even if you can see all sides sometimes you must still make a decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
. Or learn to live with or is comfortable there is no answer.
That's easy to say when you're referring to an opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson (as in the original post)...holding a final opinion in abeyance costs me nothing. If I have to decide between two jobs, two homes, two medical treatments, or two places to retire then there are consequences. Maybe not as great as it feels but something more concrete and perhaps irrevokable than how I feel about a long dead president.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 PM

765 posts, read 473,560 times
i am a rainbow thinker. i like the full gamut of riotous choice.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 AM

Thinking about this topic of B/W, it's true those who think this way are rigid, not diverse in any of their life. I was raised by an Archie Bunker and worked all my life to change, and boy did I ever.

Thinking about how our high house in govt was named, White House..ummmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology