Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 05:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I can't believe someone would seriously try to argue that because women are regularly gang-raped in India we should be thankful that "women here" only have to put up with a little groping.

I mean ... it's baffling.
I agree and sometimes we just have to consider the source. He is certainly biased in his view and I am sure he believes we are biased also, as well as ungrateful because we call America home and not India (or other "ports of call" repeatedly mentioned)!

Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 PM

6,633 posts, read 5,855,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I can't believe someone would seriously try to argue that because women are regularly gang-raped in India we should be thankful that "women here" only have to put up with a little groping.

I mean ... it's baffling.
No one here is saying that. But you people are talking about this like it's the crime of the century. Have a little perspective. There are--what?--20 murders a week in Chicago alone? Plenty of rapes there, too, I'd wager. Where's the outrage? Where are the marches in the street, the 100-page city-data raging debates, the calls for action?

Seriously, if you think this guy's fingers that were an inch too close is worse than all these other horrific things... it's baffling.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,655,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No one here is saying that. But you people are talking about this like it's the crime of the century.
No, I'm not.

You're the one who brought the state of the world into it.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,779 times
Quote:
No one here is saying that. But you people are talking about this like it's the crime of the century. Have a little perspective. There are--what?--20 murders a week in Chicago alone? Plenty of rapes there, too, I'd wager. Where's the outrage? Where are the marches in the street, the 100-page city-data raging debates, the calls for action?

Seriously, if you think this guy's fingers that were an inch too close is worse than all these other horrific things... it's baffling.
Not to be rude blisterpeanuts but point of fact, here is the title of the OP:

What do you think of the Pastor who groped Ariana Grande?

It appears you do not approve of our thinking on the matter it also appears that we will not change our thinking because of your disapproval.

Thank you for participating in our folly.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:22 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,234,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You didn't say "ogling women" in your original post. We're all talking about a man grabbing a boob. Not staring at one.

As you mentioned, we've evolved. Men don't get to konk us on the head and drag them into their caves anymore.
Quote:
Not in the U.S., anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Which is where THIS INCIDENT that we're talking about, happened.
Maybe if THAT'S what the OP wants to do he needs to relocate.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,234,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yeah but 90% of straight men would have done the same thing. Ariana, a great looking young woman showing lots of skin (short skirt or short shorts?) in a dour setting. Sorry girl, don't go to a formal service dressed like you are for rent. It's actually more disrespectful to the older ladies in the building.

And I think the pastor was oblivious about it. Hugging a woman, particularly a big breasted woman, it is nearly impossible to avoid contact with breasts. Even if you do the careful butt out, lean-in from the shoulders thing, you are still embracing boobs people. Many women I work with are huggers; I don't go running to Employee Relations when I'm forced(?) to embrace a female co-worker's body.
Really - with some women you just can't NOT grab a BOOB? How about you put a hand on the top of their shoulder? How about you not touch ANYTHING? You're telling me that a PASTOR who stands in a line greeting his parishioners every single Sunday for the last 25 years hasn't figured out how to greet a woman without grabbing a boob? Puhhh-leaze.

Sickening that he gets every damn benefit of the doubt and the first thing we hear about is her short dress. My great aunt, when she was 70 was saying the PERFECT length of a dress for a young lady was the tips of her fingers with her arms down at her sides! SHOCKING- and probably about where Ariana Grande's dress was.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,904,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
I got mixed feelings about the affair. The guy was 100 per cent out of place,,,maybe aging has something to do...the guy is a dinosaur unable to understand modern times and protocols so this situation was an accident waiting to happen. I wonder how many similar situations he protagonizes on an average day.

But ignoring the fact that showing up to a funeral dressed like if you went to a cocktail party would be creating an elephant in the room. Young women are supposed to show their bodies the 365 days of the year? Is not a funeral a situation when everybody must follow the protocols?
The funeral was also televised and politicized. Her outfit is least offensive to me, given the political stuff thrown in, during the funeral for a gifted and well-known singer. That stuff was more inappropriate and out of place than Ariana's dress, imo. Her funeral was a spectacle imo. I'm not sure why it was handled the way it was, so public, or why it took a political turn. And again, Ariana's dress wasn't the worst of it, not even close. And her dress isn't relevant to the fact that the pastor apparently got handsy.

As far as the pastor goes, I don't know how he couldn't have realized where his hand was. Right on her boob - breasts are obviously soft, you can see his hand pushing into it in the photos. He had to have known. He kept it there, kind of even moved it around a little. She was clearly uncomfortable imo. She looks like she's trying to pull away from him. I'm not going to outright accuse him of being so bold as to purposely, intentionally from the start, touch her there on national TV, but I will say that it doesn't look good. And that he could have moved his hand.

The Taco Bell comment, it's especially funny because she isn't even Hispanic. She's of Italian descent, grande isn't just a Spanish word.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 PM

28,577 posts, read 18,614,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The funeral was also televised and politicized. Her outfit is least offensive to me, given the political stuff thrown in, during the funeral for a gifted and well-known singer. That stuff was more inappropriate and out of place than Ariana's dress, imo. Her funeral was a spectacle imo. I'm not sure why it was handled the way it was, so public, or why it took a political turn. And again, Ariana's dress wasn't the worst of it, not even close. And her dress isn't relevant to the fact that the pastor apparently got handsy.
It's a shame they did not select the performers and speakers based more on quality than quantity. More is not always better.

They should have first restricted those lists to people who actually knew her personally well and long...and then cut it even shorter.

Quote:
As far as the pastor goes, I don't know how he couldn't have realized where his hand was. Right on her boob - breasts are obviously soft, you can see his hand pushing into it in the photos. He had to have known. He kept it there, kind of even moved it around a little. She was clearly uncomfortable imo. She looks like she's trying to pull away from him. I'm not going to outright accuse him of being so bold as to purposely, intentionally from the start, touch her there on national TV, but I will say that it doesn't look good. And that he could have moved his hand.

The Taco Bell comment, it's especially funny because she isn't even Hispanic. She's of Italian descent, grande isn't just a Spanish word.
He did move his fingers around on her breast enough to qualify as a bona fide "grope." And certainly making a joke of a person's name is out of order any time when you don't know them that well, and out of order in public even if you do know them that well.

The dude is just an all-around jerk.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,694,313 times
Apparently he has no self control and sees women as objects to play with. It's not surprising, but it is disgusting.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:36 AM

17,231 posts, read 8,859,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
It was the funeral of Aretha Franklin, it was a day to have a low profile. I guess Ariana Grande was fully aware that choosing that dress would create some sexual tension in the air, but she still chose that dress anyways, which is a little bit selfish. She can show her body as much as she wants any other day.

It's just a big picture observation,
Why was it a day to have a low profile? Because you said so?

Ariana knew Aretha, and Aretha thought very highly of her. They performed together at the White House, and Aretha even asked Ariana to listen to her grandson's music.

I'm going to guess that Aretha was honored to have Ariana sing Natural Woman at her funeral and had no problem at all with Ariana's dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology