Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Not at all, but you know, civilians can get PTSD, from being abused, neglected, or violently/sexually assaulted, or even from head injury.
Has she experienced any of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 04:01 PM

301 posts, read 189,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Has she experienced any of those?
Seems like the OP hasn't asked.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
To me, it sounds like she's floating around somewhere on the autism scale. Lack of eye contact is the usual give-away.

She wears what she wears because it's something she CAN control, when much of her world feels out of control...or beyond her control. In her sensory over-loaded world, it provides great comfort to BE comfortable. And since she knows her sweats and jacket are comfortable, they are what she relies on.

Her monotone voice might be in reaction to certain pitches and noises bothering her. (shrugging shoulders.)

Old 09-05-2018, 04:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
That's truly wonderful that every female engineer you know also fits your perceived standard of what it is to be female. With every reply OP, I'm increasingly beginning to get the feeling that you aren't interested in hearing our thoughts or possible explanations. You only seem interested in pointing out how "different" this girl is and assigning a psychological condition to her in order to explain it. Does this girl's behavior really make you that uncomfortable? Do you honestly believe that something must be wrong with her because she doesn't look or act the way you think she should?

Sounds like she really loves that jacket. Again, if you're curious ... ask her about it. Maybe there's an interesting story there. Maybe it was a gift or hand-me-down from someone special. Maybe Steve Perry threw it into the crowd one night and she fought 100 other people for it. Maybe she's quietly homeless and has very few options when it comes to outerwear. Maybe what she wears isn't anyone else's business.
Didn't Seinfeld have a show about this? A woman who wore the same dress on every date? It drove him nuts.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-05-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 04:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, it sounds like she's floating around somewhere on the autism scale. Lack of eye contact is the usual give-away.

She wears what she wears because it's something she CAN control, when much of her world feels out of control...or beyond her control. In her sensory over-loaded world, it provides great comfort to BE comfortable. And since she knows her sweats and jacket are comfortable, they are what she relies on.

Her monotone voice might be in reaction to certain pitches and noises bothering her. (shrugging shoulders.)
OK, here we have a theory, a plausible theory. Happy now, OP?

P.S. Whatever you do, don't transfer to Berkeley or Santa Cruz! You'd be miserable, lol.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Lack of vocal inflection and avoidant eye contact are quite often symptoms of sensory integration difficulties, which can be indicators of several disorders (or, they can be indicative of nothing).

It's hard to say.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, here we have a theory, a plausible theory. Happy now, OP?

P.S. Whatever you do, don't transfer to Berkeley or Santa Cruz! You'd be miserable, lol.
Why not Berkeley or Santa Cruz? Because they have strange women? I don't get the joke.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:20 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
I say about people like this "a little aspergery". A light way of saying it but that's because for some time I lived among some brilliant minds who were "a little Sheldony". They weren't boring, though. Many could be a lot of fun, thoughtful, energetic. All different versions in this regard.

The problem would be if your friend has a problem with herself.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:49 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Leave your friend be. Let her be who and what she wants to be. Friends like you are the reason many choose not to have friends. Because she's different you ASSume she's got a condition.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:42 AM

167 posts, read 190,373 times
I don't get why people are giving OP a hard time. He sees the individual in question on a daily basis, we see her through what OP relayed to us in a couple posts on an anonymous online board. There's obviously something about her that concerns him. Maybe he wants to approach her about it but is unsure how. I didn't perceive anything malicious in his posts. Maybe she's got "something" or maybe she doesn't. It does seem to me from the lack of eye contact and social awkwardness that some form of asd is possible.
How close are you to this person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology