Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times

Advertisements

No.

Were I you, I’d try to figure out why I was feeling shamed. And then talk to a pro about it. If you’re not comfortable in your own skin, you’ll have a hard time in all areas of your life, not just sex.

And plenty of straight people haven’t solved this problem either!

Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 PM

1,070 posts, read 387,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Since City-Data seems to represent the general consensus of Middle Americans' political views, I just wanted to pose this question: should I be ashamed of being bisexual? If so, what should I do to change my sexuality? Am I destined to hell? Should I be treated the same like anyone else?

Just a few questions that have been bugging the heck out of me. I don't like guilt. I feel guilty, ever since coming out to family and friends. I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders, like I'm doing the world a great disservice by not changing who I am. I know that most heterosexual Americans look down on me, and I don't blame them. I think about Matt Shepard and the agonizing torture that he had to endure, and I don't want to meet the same fate as him. Even though he was full-fledged homosexual, and I'm merely "riding the fence".

Are my feelings justified? My feelings of guilt and fear? Or should I "ignore the haters" and go on with my mundane life?
I’m not bisexual and it reduces my options by 50% - I’m OK w/this!

I’m also more-than-OK with you being bisexual!

As I get older - and I ain’t asking your age or sex - I care less-and-less what other people think about me or my choices. I have a couple of outta-the-mainstream likes that I kinda used to hide, but, I don’t hide ‘em anymore. Instead, when I get that sideways smile, I smile back and say or think: “you don’t know what you’re missing!” LOL

Just thought of this: the guy who does my hair - I’m a guy, BTW - is bisexual. He politely was “suggesting” and I just cut that off quickly. He stiill does my hair. His wife is also bisexual. Seems overly complicated to me but, to each his own and his own and her own and her own

Old 09-08-2018, 01:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Since City-Data seems to represent the general consensus of Middle Americans' political views, I just wanted to pose this question: should I be ashamed of being bisexual? If so, what should I do to change my sexuality? Am I destined to hell? Should I be treated the same like anyone else?

Just a few questions that have been bugging the heck out of me. I don't like guilt. I feel guilty, ever since coming out to family and friends. I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders, like I'm doing the world a great disservice by not changing who I am. I know that most heterosexual Americans look down on me, and I don't blame them. I think about Matt Shepard and the agonizing torture that he had to endure, and I don't want to meet the same fate as him. Even though he was full-fledged homosexual, and I'm merely "riding the fence".

Are my feelings justified? My feelings of guilt and fear? Or should I "ignore the haters" and go on with my mundane life?
That’s up to you how you feel. If full of self loathing, seek help. Otherwise, why advertise your proclivities to the public? Many don’t want to hear about it. Like me.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:37 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Christ, is this for real?
Yeah, I checked their post history before responding. This seems legit.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:38 PM

260 posts, read 322,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Please listen to old_cold's advice here.

Also, out of curiosity--are you yourself male or female?
Male.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 636,170 times
Quote:
Since City-Data seems to represent the general consensus of Middle Americans' political views,
Your premise is flawed. City-Data attracts a lot of people at the fringes. You'll find a higher proportion of outspoken Christian fundamentalist right-wingers on this forum than you'll find out in the real world.

Quote:
I just wanted to pose this question: should I be ashamed of being bisexual?
No. Society should be ashamed for making you feel like you need to ask this question.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:40 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,777,457 times
Quote:
Male.
OK.

Also, do you have a preference?

Finally, are you masc or fem?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:40 PM

260 posts, read 322,438 times
Thank you for the kind responses.

This wasn't a troll thread BTW. I've been a victim of bullying and intimidation since I came out. I had to let it off my chest.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:42 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,777,457 times
Quote:
Thank you for the kind responses.

This wasn't a troll thread BTW. I've been a victim of bullying and intimidation since I came out. I had to let it off my chest.
That really sucks to hear! Honestly, you should be strong and proud but also be aware of your safety and thus try avoiding places where you think there are a lot of homophobes. At least, that's what I would do if I was in your position.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:42 PM

37,068 posts, read 19,035,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OP, I grew up in a small town where everyone had a problem with how others lead their life, very tightly religious and judgmental.

Today I'm white hetero male, middle-aged, upper middle class dude living in KS (of all places) and I would have no problem hanging out and being close friends with anyone regardless of orientation, race, gender ID, religion...I just don't give a fudge.

You do you and surround yourself with people that aren't a-holes about what you do with your personal relationships.

Best of luck.

Billions of people out there, make your own way, your own relationships, your own circle of friends and DO NOT try to accomodate those that nip, poke or otherwise drag at you on that journey.
This.

Ignorance is the Mother of fear and the Grandmother of hate. The only way to overcome your ignorance is through knowledge. Having friends who are widely diverse in race, culture, and sexual orientation gives you windows on the world you might never have otherwise considered. It most certainly kills your prejudice, if you are brave enough to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.