Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think acts of service are important, especially in our later years when we start to fail. He’s still in excellent health in his late 60’s. I would have no problem being his caregiver when he starts to need care, if I can call in outside help when I need it.

But for now, his healthy self can get up from the sofa and get his own damn pie.

We had a talk about the pie this morning and maybe even made some progress, who knows. I told him that remembering to buy his favorite foods is a deliberate act of love, not mere accident. I said he can show me he loves me by having the consideration to eat what was brought home for him, whether or not it is served to him warmed on a platter with his special fork.

What kind of work does he do? It is amazing to me that he's fairly highly compensated, and I guess for doing some sort of "brain work" - but he acts like this with you.

I don't have much in the way of useful suggestions - maybe just to try to figure out how you could live without him, somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
... everything described in the OP is very common in traditional marriages.
No.

This is twisted beyond "traditional," and most anyone who wasn't warped by this kind of upbringing recognizes it.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No.

This is twisted beyond "traditional," and most anyone who wasn't warped by this kind of upbringing recognizes it.
Maybe a little but not much to me. Your earlier post said he's acting like a dependent, I was mainly saying she is the dependent spouse and it isn't uncommon for the breadwinner to expect the spouse to do everything in the house/for him or her.

Their ages are not far off from my parent's generation. My mother wouldn't re-marry because the men all wanted her to be a housewife and raise their kids she was like no, but had she entered the bargain, as OP did, it would be unfair to say no later.

My Dad works all day to bring home the bacon so for the most part, he doesn't fry any. Used to on Sundays for the family and that was all the cooking or even fixing any sort of meal he does.

Anyway, OP relies on him financially. That doesn't mean a person should tolerate abuse,, but I don't see how serving a piece of store bought pie with a particular fork is crazy town at all.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:21 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What kind of work does he do? It is amazing to me that he's fairly highly compensated, and I guess for doing some sort of "brain work"
We live and work in Silicon Valley, so you do the math.

Quote:
I don't have much in the way of useful suggestions - maybe just to try to figure out how you could live without him, somehow.

I've thought about it. I even did it for a while. But I want to be married.

The strange behavior has eased off and we're taking it one day at a time. He helped me make dinner last night and it was nice, the kind of loving-couple activity I enjoy. I hope to rebuild our connections.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:56 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Anyway, OP relies on him financially.

Actually, I don't. I run a small business and have income and assets of my own, in addition to what we own jointly.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
His mother died in 2016, on my birthday. I miss her terribly. I'm sure he does, too. It seems an obvious connection but somehow doesn't feel quite right.
Did he regularly see his mother before she died?

If so, then it seems possible as she was less able to give him motherly love, he began to look for another source of that. That would be a symptom of never fully detaching from his mother and becoming his own person.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe a little but not much to me. Your earlier post said he's acting like a dependent, I was mainly saying she is the dependent spouse and it isn't uncommon for the breadwinner to expect the spouse to do everything in the house/for him or her.
She's not dependent on him, and knowing her like I do from other threads here, I am confident that she is not that kind of wife.

OP, I know how difficult it is to strike out on your own later in life, and I encourage you to work on that marital connection. I hope he wants to also.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:24 PM

OK just going off what was said here. That he supports them and she can't do w/o his insurance.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
OK just going off what was said here. That he supports them and she can't do w/o his insurance.
That requires her to be badgered by him throughout the day and responsible for entertaining him? The pie scenario was just one example.

It doesn't sound like you were going off of what was written here but in fact what happened in your own household growing up.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That requires her to be badgered by him throughout the day and responsible for entertaining him? The pie scenario was just one example.

It doesn't sound like you were going off of what was written here but in fact what happened in your own household growing up.
? I'm only referring to the financial part right now. She said he supports her and she is stuck due to finances and needing his insurance and then she isn't. I don't know which is correct. I can only go by what is said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology