Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,620,364 times

Advertisements

I see this first-hand down here in So. America. People have so little, but seem very content and happy. What I've observed is that they hang out together---in groups lounging around the sidewalk or someone's porch; several in hammocks, all talking and laughing. All generations together in one house. There is social action everywhere you look. They do not seem to have the same stressors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 AM

8,215 posts, read 3,409,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I see this first-hand down here in So. America. People have so little, but seem very content and happy. What I've observed is that they hang out together---in groups lounging around the sidewalk or someone's porch; several in hammocks, all talking and laughing. All generations together in one house. There is social action everywhere you look. They do not seem to have the same stressors.
Maybe the American substitute for hanging out with the family is the office culture. When I worked in offices, most of my waking time was spent with those people. Much more than I spent with friends or relatives.

So if you are lucky enough to love your work and your co-workers, then maybe America is a happy place.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,347,963 times
You made a great post
You got rep
Every time I cross over to Mexico I see the proud mom with a baby and a husband on the sidewalk all 3 serenity painted on the face
He is pulling $30 bucks a day and she is so proud and happy she could pop
Back in San Diego a city full of fat young people with screaming kids driving a $40000 suv and talking on the iPhone to her lawyer about the divorce progress while driving madder than hell 24 7
A whole town full of angry unhappy rich people

Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You made a great post
You got rep
Every time I cross over to Mexico I see the proud mom with a baby and a husband on the sidewalk all 3 serenity painted on the face
He is pulling $30 bucks a day and she is so proud and happy she could pop
Back in San Diego a city full of fat young people with screaming kids driving a $40000 suv and talking on the iPhone to her lawyer about the divorce progress while driving madder than hell 24 7
A whole town full of angry unhappy rich people
And yet, when the happiness researchers come around, these fat stressed out rich people say they're extremely happy.

Maybe they think happiness is measured by how many smart phones you have and the size of your TV.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 AM

But again, I think happiness reporting is related to pride. If I say I'm happy, people will assume it means I am rich and successful.

Ever notice these guys -- you ask "How are you?" and he answers "I AM GGGRRREAT!!!" Then you hear from someone else that he's broke and his wife just left.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,763,182 times
I think traditional societies would be more fulfulilling for huge swaths of people... but definitely not for everybody. Traditional societies tend to be pretty heirarchical and pretty limited in what's considered acceptable. That's fine for a lot of people, but I'm just too odd and too adverse to authority to get along in a society like that.

One thing in the U.S. that people don't question much- and that I think has been REALLY destructive to traditional society, community, etc. is the concept of the single family home. It's a really perculiar, modern idea. For most of history people lived in multigenerational homes... still the norm in much of the world. So when people complain about Millennials living with their parents... I'm not sure that that's really a bad thing. Compared to all of human history, the aberrant idea there is the notion that each newly-minted adult can and should set up a new and independent household.

Not that I want to live with or even near my parents... but for most people I think it's a better and more natural arrangement.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I think traditional societies would be more fulfulilling for huge swaths of people... but definitely not for everybody. Traditional societies tend to be pretty heirarchical and pretty limited in what's considered acceptable. That's fine for a lot of people, but I'm just too odd and too adverse to authority to get along in a society like that.

One thing in the U.S. that people don't question much- and that I think has been REALLY destructive to traditional society, community, etc. is the concept of the single family home. It's a really perculiar, modern idea. For most of history people lived in multigenerational homes... still the norm in much of the world. So when people complain about Millennials living with their parents... I'm not sure that that's really a bad thing. Compared to all of human history, the aberrant idea there is the notion that each newly-minted adult can and should set up a new and independent household.

Not that I want to live with or even near my parents... but for most people I think it's a better and more natural arrangement.
In my grandparents' generation, extended families lived near each other and got together frequently. In my parents' generation, relatives had less tolerance for each other. The more liberal types resented the more conservative types and vice versa. They all got on each other's nerves. So most moved away and lost touch.

Also, people started moving away for their jobs.

Now the social unit is the married couple, maybe with kids. And if you get divorced, or never married, the social unit is just you and your phone and computer.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,005,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Exactly what I have been thinking, and why I wrote this post. How can so many Americans report feeling happy when their lives are so stressful and unhealthy?

What exactly does it feel like to be happy? For me, there are several kinds of feelings that make me think I am happy. None last very long -- we get used to good feelings and they fade, and we go back to worrying and stressing. It's human nature to never be satisfied for very long.

So I really think Americans have their mythology which says we have it great here, no society has ever had it so great, and therefore how could we not be happy?

But in fact, even in the most beautiful and healthy societies, there is still human nature. Which says that we are going to wonder why we are alive, worry about the future, worry about death, etc.

That is why some kind of spiritual life is needed for almost everyone. There is lots of spirituality and religion in America, and that might account for some of the reported happiness.

Anyway, I don't know! Thanks for all the ideas so far.

But not everyone lives an unhealthy life style.
Not everyone is currently living with a lot of stress. And a lot of people have found healthy ways to deal with stress, and so their happiness level goes up.

20 years ago, I wasn't a happy person. I had a LOT of stressors in my life. I did things to help alleviate some of the stress, but some of it was long term stuff...like being a single parent, and having a child struggling through school, and trying to get him diagnosed, and treated. It was a huge stressor at the time.

And then I got pregnant, and gave a baby up for adoption. 40+ years old and going through THAT. And then the after math of dealing with emotions that came with giving up a baby. Sigh. I was an unhappy bitter person for a long time.

And now I'm not. I am happy. Most of my stressors have vaporized, and I have a partner in life that gets me. Life is happy. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But not everyone lives an unhealthy life style.
Not everyone is currently living with a lot of stress. And a lot of people have found healthy ways to deal with stress, and so their happiness level goes up.

20 years ago, I wasn't a happy person. I had a LOT of stressors in my life. I did things to help alleviate some of the stress, but some of it was long term stuff...like being a single parent, and having a child struggling through school, and trying to get him diagnosed, and treated. It was a huge stressor at the time.

And then I got pregnant, and gave a baby up for adoption. 40+ years old and going through THAT. And then the after math of dealing with emotions that came with giving up a baby. Sigh. I was an unhappy bitter person for a long time.

And now I'm not. I am happy. Most of my stressors have vaporized, and I have a partner in life that gets me. Life is happy. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
I know, what you said is true. I used to have some terrible stresses that I don't have now. But I am talking about Americans in general. At least half don't care, or know, how to be healthy. So many are taking drugs for physical or mental ailments. So many don't have enough money, or enough time.

And the Americans who are successful tend to work crazy hours, and hardly see their families. And commute for hours every day. And/or move far from their extended families for their careers.

And almost everyone seems to be addicted to their phone, ignoring the human beings around them. Blocking out their own thoughts and feelings. Not meditating. Just texting and shopping and playing games, I guess.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,707,547 times
Personally I'm not happy happy, but more so than sad sad. And I'm content, to me that's the most powerful feeling one can have. If I had a windfall of money, I'd help others. I don't need anything I don't have but I'd love to be rid of arthritis...

I've lost people in my life, but life goes on. I lost a great friend over 25 yrs ago and talk about a shock, but we get over it. I think about her but again life goes on for us.

I too see some of the poorest people being the most happy.

Americans are a huge spoiled lot and again we have over 300million population. Lot more than all of Europe.

SO MANY Americans are driven to make more $$$$ and more and more..so they can take it with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology