Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,868,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
All the tall women I've met have been smart. No, I was referring to bust size.

I like smart gals but I honestly haven't found one that could challenge me on the breadth and depth of topics that I am the master of. But I had an elite education and I always read subjects beyond my field of study so there. I mean if they want to get into number theory, Egyptian history, or DNA splicing that's fine, but once I start into more esoteric topics usually they start dozing off. Even had ivy league gals that couldn't keep pace. But someone that could name 10 world leaders without looking them up would be nice.
If number theory and Egyptian history don't count as esoteric, what does?

Quote:
Bust size wasn't an issue for me but I've dated a few "pancake flat" gals and at points it felt like I was having sex with a man so I realized that there has to be some sort of bust. I actually had to have them on their stomachs so I could finish. Obviously I didn't tell them that but that's when I realized boobs were important to me. It probably sounds shallow but I can't control what my body is turned on by.
I've never had sex with a man, but I'd always assumed it was a bit different than just not having any large breasts around.

It's good to know what you like, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 PM

24,167 posts, read 9,104,642 times
I’m 5’10” and my wife is 6’1” it’s not a big deal.

Do women generally prefer taller men and men generally prefer shorter women? Yes.

But that’s only cultural and societal expectations. Whether you’re tall or short, man or woman, you can find someone who wants you and someone you’re attractive to.

Personally, I physically like tall women because I like long legs and consider it a refreshing change and from the vast majority of women who are short. The shot to potentially have tall kids is just a bonus.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,833,863 times
I'm 6'4.5".

Tall women are a better fit for me. I don't do well with a woman who's short.

But there are times when all women are the same height.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM

24,167 posts, read 9,104,642 times
Quote:
All the tall women I've met have been smart.
I’ve met some not-so-smart tall women. And by tall I mean 5’11” or taller.

The only generalization I would make about tall women, is that the taller they are the more they have to concede to the fact their perfect mate may not be as tall or taller than them. Why? Because a lot of tall guys out there like short women, look no further than the short women NBA athletes tend to date. It’s hard enough to find a person you like and want to date, it becomes even harder if you put some strict height criteria on it.

Luckily most of the tall women I’ve dated were open to dating shorter men (or they obviously wouldn’t have dated me)

Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,782,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I asked a different question in a forum earlier today and the conversation seemed to gravitate to female height, so now I'm curious.

I'm a 5'11" female, which is obviously much taller than most women and a lot of men. I am almost 100 percent ethnically Scandinavian so most of my family is also quite tall and slender, it's just kind of what it is.

My first boyfriend actually preferred tall women -- he had a thing for long legs -- but he also was 6'4" himself. My second boyfriend was 5'8." I don't know if he perhaps would have preferred if I was shorter but he never made that comment to me directly and it overall didn't affect our relationship. The only times it was awkward for me was taking photos together and sometimes feeling like the dominant one.

Obviously no one can help their height but I am just curious. Guys, how do you view tall women? Does it affect your interest or attraction to them?
I find tall ethnically Scandinavian women to be very attractive.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,208,150 times
IMO shorter women have the edge in dating just like taller men have it. More men prefer shorter than themselves just as more women prefer taller than themselves. In fact being a short male is such an issue that no topics about this are allowed in the relationship forum.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,390,868 times
They have a better 'view' on things and don't need me to reach items on top shelves! We'd be more likely to see eye to eye when standing? I'm 6'2

Women I have dated run the gamut from 4'11 to 6'2. I generally like taller women (and any height of women) if they are fit and look feminine - whether athletic build or softer in physique.

I tend to be attracted most to those in the 5'4 to 6' range. Of the tall women I dated, they all met my reproductive fitness assessment except one, which was a funny blind date story.

Early in my dating life some friends of my parents - when I mentioned I was single - wanted to know if I was interested in meeting a young woman. Their only qualifying criteria to describe her to me was "She's Tall". Well, she was probably my height, but was lumbering and not fit - not a body type I'd be attracted to nor a face you'd want to spend much time looking at.

There was a store I frequented during the past year that was my personal "Amazonian" heaven. Occasionally, on a Saturday I would find what looked like a coed volleyball or basketball team working. There were five women who were 5'9/5'10 and taller and all were attractive. One looked like a young Crystal Gayle, one middle eastern beauty, one an Irish west euro look with a cuter face, sort of a fitter solid Maggie Gyllenhall, another Slavic east euro brunette (looked somewhat like a young Ava Gardner), another Nordic /Slav looking, all probably were between 130 to 155 lbs and fit. I miss them.

A beautiful African American woman was interning at one of the bank branches I frequent this summer. Stunningly beautiful. If I closed my eyes she had the most sexy sweet voice and you'd never have known she was African American as she spoke perfectly good English.

A month ago I take my niece and nephew on a tour at local historic site and the guide, a woman late 40s and her daughter are the only others. The daughter was shadowing and was about 6' in flats. Beautiful. Black hair dark soft brown eyes, facially, she looked like youthful mix of french actress Florence Guerin (about 80%) and Anne Hathaway (20%) in face. Carried herself well.

One thing I notice with some tall women is poor posture, the above mentioned lumbering type. Overall, tall is very good! Although, if they are heavier than me (180-185 lb) that is not likely to be attractive as it would likely be a turnoff. It is all scale and proportion. I recall one woman I dated long ago who i wish I could run her through a copier at 120% enlargement just to see how wonderful she would look.

A few years back a young woman where I lived who I found very attractive - probably 6'1 and 160-70 was a very good div 2 collegiate basketball player. Simply a solid frame body type, very well put together, yet still feminine in appearance (to me), nice hips, legs and face.

When forced to state preferences...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post33024564

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post28644073

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post37165824

For more perspective
http://www.city-data.com/forum/psych...l#post46785070

Lastly, since this is being asked in the psychology forum, I like tall women who carry themselves with confidence and do not try to diminish their height. Anecdotally, I think of a girl in high school who physically matured early and was about 5'10 in 7th grade who would hunch over to not tower over others. Occasionally, I spot this seemingly psychological influence in a tall woman, where it appears they are trying to keep from appearing as tall and it takes away from their physical presence. So to all you taller women out there - carry yourself with pride and show your height!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,214,992 times
My daughter was the maid of honor at a wedding. She stands 5'10". Once the bridal party appeared it became clear she was shoulder height to most. The bride was 6'1". The grooms mother was 3" taller. The groom and his best man brother were both well over 6'6". And the groom's father was another 2 or 3 inches taller. Amazing to see a 5'10" midget.

I am 6'2". When I was a senior in high school I became friends with a sophomore who was 6 foot and stacked...I mean really stacked. But her problem was she wanted to be 5'6". I tried to talk her into going out with me and wearing heels. She would have none of it. Insisted upon her right to be bent over and minimized. Could have been the most striking lady in the high school but would have none of it.

Weird ladies and height.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,740,621 times
Tall women look great. So do short women. Doesn't mean anything at all to me. I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 7" if that matters.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,870,375 times
Interesting how some posters on the thread really appear to like and respect women while others tend to objectify women, evaluating women according to the specific female attributes they find attractive. The former posts are very sweet; the later, not so much.

Personally, I am not attracted to looks in men but more the mental chacteristics. I think Bill Gates and Bertrand Russell are cute. Russell wasn't the least bit handsome and I believe he was a tiny little thing. But he wrote over 60 books, was married four times and had innumerable affairs.

FWIW, I like wit, and depth of character. And kindness, above all. No amount of handsome can compensate if those elements are missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology