Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

My wife kissing me and telling me she loves me is the recent act of kindness.

That was a few hours ago. It made me fuzzy inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 10:34 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I was out on a bike ride the other day, and rode by a construction site. On the side of the road, I saw what I thought was a wallet. I circled back, and picked it up. Yes it was a wallet, with about $90 in cash, credit cards, driver's license, etc. I took it over to one of the guys on the site, and asked if he knew the person. He did, and said he just left. So I gave him the wallet, and asked him to get it back to the owner. I've lost my wallet before, and it is NOT a good feeling!

Old 10-01-2018, 02:17 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
One of the most difficult acts of kindness for me that I do quite often in my job as a salesperson is to listen to strangers (mostly old people) talk on and on and on about their lives. I could easily make a kind excuse to leave -- and I do have other things I can do in my job -- but I figure that someone must really be lonely to go on and on about their house repair problems or their faraway relatives to a stranger.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:26 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I'm tall-ish so have no trouble getting bottled water from the top shelf at my grocery store. But male clerks are disappointed when I turn their offer down to do that. So my good deed is I let one of them do that 2 days ago. He was so happy he wanted to know what else he could do. No, not flirting, they just want to help. I am not older than any helper or look like I need help.

My good deed: I smile at people whenever possible and they usually smile back. Just acknowledging people can make their day.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
i do it allllllll the time, i try to do one kind thing for another person every single day of my life. this ranges from boxes of Famous Amos cookies given to the Pak Mail ladies where i have my mail box to those little bags of jelly belly jelly beans given out to a harried cashier, counter people, the crew who works down at the dump, receptionists, staff at doctor's offices, to a dozen roses given to a hair cutter who had been excoriated a new orifice by the prior customer in her chair, a rude idiot who decided she cut her hair totally wrong. sheesh. i HATE people who can't be civil. Every Christmas I give out baskets filled with treats and goodies to the central 18 groups of people i see regularly, be they doctor's offices or my insurance office, my bank branch, a restaurant i frequent all the time, plus the two fire departments that service my area. Today I was at the clinic, waiting for my meds in order to help me breath (caught a cold on Friday, those germs high-tail it right to my lungs and I get immediate asthma)..... there was a woman around my age or a bit younger, in wheel chair, with two large back packs hanging off the back of her seat. at first i mentally said to myself "homeless", but wasn't sure. She didn't have enough money with her to pay for her medications. $34. I have often seen this scenario at the clinic pharmacy, and often have paid co-pays for desperate, weeping people who hadn't the money right that minute. As she spoke, though i couldn't see her face, her intonation was a bit rough, not clear...... they wouldn't give her the meds even though she promised to come back with the money she said she had, but not on her. As she wheeled around, I could see her disability was impacting her greatly. I gently, quietly said, "I can charge my meds, I do have $22.00 on me, can i offer that to you?" She adamantly, immediately refused. I kinda pushed on, hoping to change her mind so she didn't have to go through another effort to get back to the clinic. Nope. she wasn't having it. I acquiesced, wished her well. About 5 minutes later, I was called to the window, got my drugs, but then was told to wait just a minute..... another person appeared, a tall man, who asked me to step to the back window. He thanked me. Not only for the 4 bags of SmartFood cheddar popcorn i had brought for the office people, the pharmacy and the two clinic areas, child and adult, but for all my kindnesses there. He said it has such an effect on everyone at the clinic, that someone cares to express gratitude all the time. He said it inspired a letter to the corporate entity that runs the clinic, and employees now can elect a small bit of their paycheck to be taken out and put into a "slush" fund, so that high medical expenses will not be a burden on us poorer folks. I teared up. I so believe in the interconnectedness of us all. I have it tattooed on my knuckles, concentric spiraling circles, each connected to the other. right on the bone. because it matters to wear what you believe, carry it with you and remember the pain of others in this world.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
[...] and remember the pain of others in this world.
To me this is the key, to remember that we are all poor suffering souls sharing our journey through this world.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Yesterday, I experienced a random act of kindness that made my day. My first stop before appointments and errands was at an espresso cart. There was a short line. The man in front of me greeted me and we discussed the weather. His turn came up and he asked me what I wanted to drink. I smiled and said a latte would be nice . He paid for my latte and I thanked him. It was not a flirtation; he was just being nice. Bless him.
Every day I try to hand out as many rep points as I can before getting the message I've handed out too many in 24 hours. I usually just pick one or 2 threads as I drink my coffee and copy and paste thanks ~Roselvr. I hit up some users with not many rep points so I hope it makes their day.

The best thing I've ever done for someone was bought them a car when theirs got T-boned. It was a friend of my son's; she didn't have money to buy one so I bought my neighbors car for $1,000 telling her that when she gets her tax return I'll take the car back for my daughter. The biggest mistake I made was I should have been owner 1. She ended up trashing the car by not doing anything, not cleaning it or checking fluids then junked the car without telling me. Never again; not that I'm in a position to do that again.

We bring to the Salvation Army as much as we can. I also try to give things we have to those in need. I have a lot of plants that have just come up, I'm trying to donate to the township library; have been planting and seeding flowers in the wooded lot next to me. I even offered seeds and plants to others near wooded lots but no takers except one neighbor who's going to have an awesome garden next year.

Every day I try to do something nice for someone if I go out whether it's holding a door or while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I guess it's more of my OCD, but think it would also be an act of kindness. While grocery shopping today at my local Food Lion, a found 3 stray shopping carts around the parking lot and got them all together and brought them back to the "corral" closest to the store.

I actually do that quite often, as a former "cart wrangler" from way back in the day, I actually enjoy going around and getting stray carts at the random places I go/shop at and bringing them back to the corrals/store and helping out the people who have to do that. Many times people think I work at the stores!
I normally put carts together too when I park in handicapped. I pull them together with my cane and it makes a difference in how much space is left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I'm really grateful for the kindness people (sometimes) show while driving: making room to let others merge, waving at another driver to go first at a four-way stop, stopping for people in the crosswalk, being courteous and careful with bikers, and not tail-gating.

I try to remember that rude and impatient drivers may be having a terrible day ... but that can be hard sometimes! I also have to admit that there are days that I have been that rude and impatient driver myself.
I always try to be a good driver showing people kindness such as you do. I'm shocked by how many people do not thank me by waving as I always open my window to wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It wasn't recent, but 3 years ago I had the opportunity to become a PBSC (Peripheral Blood Stem Cell) donor and save an anonymous, unrelated, 34-year-old male from Europe, who was dying from AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia). I'm happy to report that my stem cells did engraft and they are still alive today.

Probably my greatness act of kindness to date, with the shopping cart thing, a close second!

If anybody else wants to join the national marrow donor program, here's the link:

Be The Match

I have recently thought about donating a kidney or half my liver to a random stranger. I've never drank alcohol in my life, so my liver should be pretty pristine!
My dad suffered with AML for 8 months. He was going to be one of the 1st to do a stem cell transplant. I can't thank you enough for your gift and wish I could thank everyone that donated blood that he used as there were times blood products were in very short supply.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:42 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,089 times
I went to a party over the weekend. By the end - I had received a guest's resume to submit to my boss (my employer is really hard to get into as an outsider) and I offered to drive someone to an from each week to an activity we share.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:06 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I bought my girlfriend a doughnut and pretzel from a food truck today while she's in the hospital.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
I saw a guy getting food out of a dumpster near my office. I don’t give money to panhandlers but this man was not panhandling. I handed him a $20 and kept on walk-in, no words exchanged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology