Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 02:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
There’s no way I have autism.
You cannot determine that. And if you DO have it, wouldn't it be better to know and learn how to deal with it so you aren't miserable anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 02:08 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
There’s no way I have autism. Most of these things I think but don’t say out loud to people not close.
That doesn't really matter--they're still there whether you say them or not. We can't diagnose you, but a lot of us have suspected that your fixation on limited topics, your literal interpretation of statements, and your difficulty in reading social cues could indicate that you might be on the spectrum. It's really nothing to be ashamed of, and think how relieving it would be to get a diagnosis (even if it's not that, specifically) and to learn how to better cope with how you're feeling.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-19-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,677,377 times
I see a few diagnoses being thrown around. I don't think we should assume what is at work here. A licensed doctor can possibly detect what is going on. Maybe get several opinions because it is easy to get an opinion that is off the mark too as so many things are so variable.

When one says things like "accept this" and "why is it so hard", it can make another person feel like a victim even if your intentions are good. I feel that such directness comes better from a good or best friend or if you are building toward that with such and such a person and that you are with that person in-person. Otherwise to hear such comparable comments from a stranger sounds like you're treating them like a 2nd class citizen. I know that feeling. It's natural for us to say such things- try to be careful about how you say things and what you really mean. It's not easy!

Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
I totally agree about seeking a qualified medical opinion.
I also urge you to eliminate all chemicals from your diet. Not as hard as it sounds. Only takes 3 days for them to clear out. Sometimes additives affect people horribly, or as one 4yr old said "makes me crazy". You'll know.
Now if you refuse to switch from Mt.Dew to 7Up, etc, don't even bother.
Shoot for no artificial colors & flavors. At all.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:11 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
There’s no way I have autism. Most of these things I think but don’t say out loud to people not close.
okay, then go to the doctor and have it confirmed.

BTW, even your friends notice your obsession with your aunt, so you DO say it out loud.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:13 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I wouldn't assume autism if based only on this thread. OCD does exist on its' own. It is basically an anxiety disorder in which the person feels compelled to do or think certain things, have rituals, etc in an attempt to ease anxiety. "Why" is a brain imbalance, probably inherited. My whole family has it to some degree. I wouldn't see a regular doctor, but a psychiatrist might help. Whether or not you need help depends on if it interferes with your job, relationships, etc. My nephew's wife almost left him a couple of times, but they are working through it, and he is getting counseling.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,067 times
Thank goodness, moving in the right direction. I hope you make an appointment to see someone and I think it will be helpful.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,844,287 times
You recognize you have a problem. That's half the battle. Now seek some professional help.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:09 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
There’s no way I have autism. .
Well, now we know why you haven't asked a doctor for an evaluation.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,404 times
Quote:
If you have been reading my posts, you probably know by now that I obsess about things. I obsess, obsess, and obsess more. It used to be about batting averages. Then it became about geography & demographics. I would even obsess about hobbies. I would memorize birthdates/ages. Now I'm really into family trees. But also having good family relationships with all my family. And the way it works is in my mind, it drives me crazy if I can't find a spot for certain people in certain parts of the tree. Or if certain relatives are hard to get together with, it drives me insane.

It really is not healthy. I've been having anxiety over these things. I actually get some physical pain from thinking about these things so much. My friend noticed that I don't even pay attention when we go to games anymore because I'm obsessing.
What you describe doesn't sound remotely like OCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology