Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
In the US, being loud is socially acceptable. Yelling in public, blaring music on your phone while on public transportation and having loud phone calls in public places are all common.

Yet if someone is quiet and doesn’t say much, or doesn’t make noise to get himself or herself noticed, it’s considered odd.

“You’re so quiet” is considered to be pointing out an oddity or a flaw.

Why?
Interesting. I live in the United States. In the places I have lived, being loud is often against rules or the law, depending on circumstances. Examples of places where being too loud would be private homes and apartment buildings, public parks, and many other places.

In the cities I have lived, "blaring music on a phone" is illegal and the driver will pull the bus over and wait for the police to come, and the offender would be removed from the bus or train, if they refuse to comply with the sound rules.

What country are you writing from, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM

24,088 posts, read 32,424,773 times
Quote:
In the US, being loud is socially acceptable. Yelling in public, blaring music on your phone while on public transportation and having loud phone calls in public places are all common.

Yet if someone is quiet and doesn’t say much, or doesn’t make noise to get himself or herself noticed, it’s considered odd.

Why?

Being "loud" is obnoxious. Who said it's OK?

Extremes on both sides can be annoying, and in some cases, indicative of pathology

Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,668,541 times
As others have said, loud in not okay! It's obnoxious!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM

703 posts, read 612,214 times
Oh it's acceptable all right. Letting everybody know you're there and being offended when asked to quiet down is the American Way. Some here have said something like 'It may be commonplace but it's not acceptable. If it's commonplace the people doing it feel they can be loud with impunity and the others have no way or are not inclined to make it stop. That means it's acceptable. It's being accepted. Personally I think it's because the USA is a sick or struggling culture. (There. I said it. I do not intend to start a new discussion or argument here so don't try. It's just my observation.)

Crudeness, public self-indulgent behavior, thoughtlessness, and a general disregard for other peoples sensibilities is a hallmark of primitive societies (Like really primitive) and also societies that are in real distress and having trouble "keepin' it together."

I do not, however, think being quiet is seen as odd or not acceptable. The reason why people being quiet, unobtrusive, or keeping to themselves seems to elicit comment is because it could be a sign that the person might be in some distress or otherwise unwell in some way.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,848,961 times
Somehow the OP is confusing likelihood to engage in conversation with volume.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,835,237 times
Loud is NOT ok...with me.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,126,152 times
Quote:

Why?
Most of us in the US do not like noise, loud public conversations, or blaring music. I cannot understand how you have come to this conclusion. Now would someone come up to a quiet person and ask why they were so quiet.

I think you must have a specific incident in mind. It might be best to describe this incident.

But the entire premise if your question is simply wrong.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,548,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think it depends on the area/community. In my very middle-class community in Littleton, CO, if someone is being noticeably loud, more often or not, people will look at him or her very disapprovingly.
Was just going to say this, it depends on the company you keep. Certain types feel a need to be seen and heard by any and everyone, for no reason whatsoever.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,396,668 times
Well, I suppose both can be acceptable when watching a silent movie.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,708,393 times
Your premise is flawed, rendering your entire proposition nonsensical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology