Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 PM

241 posts, read 95,060 times

Advertisements

a study that was released a couple of months ago, indicates that we dislike hypocrites because they deceive us.

i guess the term hypocrite ranges from a prominent person who takes an opposing stance to what they originally advocated----to a funny friend who eats potato chips while advocating against junk food.

i think the study indicates that people become weary to people they discover to be hypocrites

i think it is interesting

what is your opinion? do you also become weary to a person that you discover to be a hypocrite

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0130092039.htm

excuse unedited cell phone grammar and incomplete cell phone sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 02:21 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
a study that was released a couple of months ago, indicates that we dislike hypocrites because they deceive us.

i guess the term hypocrite ranges from a prominent person who takes an opposing stance to what they originally advocated----to a funny friend who eats potato chips while advocating against junk food.

i think the study indicates that people become weary to people they discover to be hypocrites

i think it is interesting

what is your opinion? do you also become weary to a person that you discover to be a hypocrite

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0130092039.htm

excuse unedited cell phone grammar and incomplete cell phone sentence
Makes sense to me. I usually end up being wary of people who think one thing but say or act out another. They don't trust me enough to act in a genuine manner so it sort of begs the question whether I should trust them. But it also comes down to the motivation behind it...if someone tells a white lie to spare my feelings (oh you look great in that dress) that's one thing. If someone lies because they want some sort of advantage over me (I never eat potato chips like you do because it is stupid) that's another.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-29-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Oh really??...who would have known...NOT!!!!

What I really dislike is the money spent on useless "studies" that tell us what we already know...even more so than I dislike a hypocrite.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
i posted it because i assumed that it would be an interesting thing to talk about. i thought it was an interesting study
well I guess it would be if you're into politics, where most of the hypocrites practice their art.

The "study" had to have been a waste of money...I mean come on...did you not know that you "dislike" a hypocrite before the study told you so???

Some people may find it interesting Spiros....I'm not trying to put you down...it COULD make for some good discussion.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:45 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This belongs in Psychology area.
...agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

What I really dislike is the money spent on useless "studies" that tell us what we already know...even more so than I dislike a hypocrite.

Only about 2 billion dollars a years goes to psych research (federally funded) and this is a single study - maybe you disagree that anything should be spent but ...oh well...I don't like my tax dollars spent on a Trump parade...back to the topic.

The results were a bit more nuanced than that - sure - we don't like hypocrites but that can be based on several facets:

Intuitively, it seems that we might dislike hypocrites because their word is inconsistent with their behavior, because they lack the self-control to behave according to their own morals, or because they deliberately engage in behaviors that they know to be morally wrong. All of these explanations seem plausible, but the new findings suggest that it's the misrepresentation of their moral character that really raises our ire.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
In other news, water is wet.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 PM

20,381 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I don't dislike them because I feel deceived. I dislike them because they're a conjunction of holier-than-though judgmental attitude sometimes, and utter lack of realism or self awareness about their own actions and choices.

One person I am thinking of...

Says that the "welfare state" in this country is just a bunch of lazy people demanding handouts and they all need to get a job and stop trying to get money from the government. Yet... He has benefited from both welfare and private charity in his adult lifetime. And he's been on unemployment a number of times and doesn't make sincere efforts to find work until it runs out. And he took the government's money in abundance when in the military, and gets VA disability now.

"Handouts" are fine if they are landing in his hands, but they're despicable going to anyone else. Especially single mothers. We all know after all, that they conned the guy just to pop out a baby and get on the dole.

He constantly goes on and on complaining about women lying to him and cheating on him. But he has lied (and been caught lying a number of very significant times) and cheated (and, again, been caught doing so) yet he insists that he is Mr. "Honor, Loyalty, Integrity" and women are evil betrayers and men don't cheat like women do. If there is no evidence that a particular women has wronged him in this way, he will make some up and insist it is true.

Lying is fine, but only when he's doing it.

It is the ugliest kind of projection. A wise person told me, "That which you criticize in others, is in fact that which you hate about yourself but are unwilling to confront." I think it's true.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:25 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

Old 11-01-2018, 05:58 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Indeed... it's one reason I dislike so many Hollywood types and big CEOs that tout a liberal position, point their fingers at us about how bad we are for driving a pickup truck, while they fly around in private jets and live in huge mansions.

Actually dislike isn't the right word... I don't really dislike anyone, or try not too.. amused would be a better word... watching the whole pop culture circus play itself out.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 PM

241 posts, read 95,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't dislike them because I feel deceived. I dislike them because they're a conjunction of holier-than-though judgmental attitude sometimes, and utter lack of realism or self awareness about their own actions and choices.

One person I am thinking of...

Says that the "welfare state" in this country is just a bunch of lazy people demanding handouts and they all need to get a job and stop trying to get money from the government. Yet... He has benefited from both welfare and private charity in his adult lifetime. And he's been on unemployment a number of times and doesn't make sincere efforts to find work until it runs out. And he took the government's money in abundance when in the military, and gets VA disability now.

"Handouts" are fine if they are landing in his hands, but they're despicable going to anyone else. Especially single mothers. We all know after all, that they conned the guy just to pop out a baby and get on the dole.

He constantly goes on and on complaining about women lying to him and cheating on him. But he has lied (and been caught lying a number of very significant times) and cheated (and, again, been caught doing so) yet he insists that he is Mr. "Honor, Loyalty, Integrity" and women are evil betrayers and men don't cheat like women do. If there is no evidence that a particular women has wronged him in this way, he will make some up and insist it is true.

Lying is fine, but only when he's doing it.

It is the ugliest kind of projection. A wise person told me, "That which you criticize in others, is in fact that which you hate about yourself but are unwilling to confront." I think it's true.

personally, i would live off of what was discarded. if i became poor, i would opt to live without money, charity or assistance

i would opt to live this way to be simple, not stoic

it is practical, not deprecating

it is not deprecation or the life of a degenerate. it is harmless; it could develop to be an americans pursuit of happines. i can care less about money because i dont have children to develop to be future team players.

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

--thomas jefferson

Last edited by spiros7; 11-01-2018 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology