Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sorry - I have to ask again - you have a PhD in psychology - correct?

Perhaps you don't understand what it means that they used extensive methods and selected statements based on several levels of review to ensure that an equal number of statements were considered to be liberal vs. conservative. Frankly, it does not matter in the slightest if YOU consider them all to be biased (all liberal or all conservative) - what counts is that the sample as a whole found the statements to be balanced. Geez - I'm as liberal as they come and I can tell the difference between them and can tell that they are in equal numbers.

You really have proven that YOU are a conservative...and that YOU can't set that aside to correctly answer whether something is a fact or an opinion. Seriously, did you actually read the methodology? smh
Yes I have a PhD in psychology, and maybe that's why I could see problems with the research that you can't see.

I showed some of the statements they used as examples. If they thought they were biased, they would not have used them as examples.

I am not a conservative, whatever that means. And I am definitely not a liberal. Which might explain why everything I ever post here aggravates you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Include an equal number of statements that appealed to the ideological predispositions of the right and of the left, maintaining an overall ideological balance.
Researchers deliberately decided to include statements that lend support to the political views or policy position of each side of the political spectrum. Pull together statements that range across a variety of policy areas and current events (e.g., climate change, abortion, terrorism, immigration, democracy and elections)....
[/i]
The researchers themselves decided the leftness or rightness of the statements. It is so very obvious that I can't imagine how you missed it -- the researchers' biases are built into the statement selections.

And, as I said, social scientists are overwhelmingly liberal.

As I also said, if a statement is supposedly factual, but a respondent disagrees with it, they will probably not classify it as a fact.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:52 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
"Immigrants who are in the U.S. illegally are a very big problem for the country today."
What about an opinion based on facts?

What about an opinion based on personal experience?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
I am not a conservative, whatever that means. And I am definitely not a liberal.
You may be surprised. Take this test.

Many other personality tests, not just political, on the website.

https://www.idrlabs.com/political-coordinates/test.php

Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Yes I have a PhD in psychology, and maybe that's why I could see problems with the research that you can't see.

I showed some of the statements they used as examples. If they thought they were biased, they would not have used them as examples.

I am not a conservative, whatever that means. And I am definitely not a liberal. Which might explain why everything I ever post here aggravates you so much.

Quote:
First of all, liberality in no way determines influencibility - we know that from Fox News, if nothing else. But please cite some studies - psychology is a science so you should be able to find SOMETHING if it has been shown.

No - that short paragraph you give was only to determine the specific wording...not to select the topic of the statements themselves...and I'm paraphrasing because c-d doesn't let you do long quotes but it's on page 8 of the methodology:

Selecting the statements
The initial set of 12 statements included five factual, five opinion and two borderline statements developed by Pew Research Center analysts and subject-matter experts in conjunction with an external advisory board. Factual statements are unambiguous statements that one can prove to be accurate or inaccurate based on objective evidence. ...

Researchers used a multistep, deliberative process to construct and select the final statements used in the survey. The factual statements were drawn from a variety of sources, including news organizations, government sources, research organizations and fact-checking entities. The factual statements included only accurate – as opposed to inaccurate – statements that were fact-checked by the research team from primary data sources, fact-checking organizations and news stories, among other sources. The opinion statements were adapted largely from existing public opinion surveys on a range of topics....

Next, a number of the statements were pretested using nonprobability online surveys to ensure that they would be understood by respondents. Lastly, the final set of statements was reviewed by Center subject matter experts and an external board of advisers with three goals in mind:

Include an equal number of statements that appealed to the ideological predispositions of the right and of the left, maintaining an overall ideological balance.
Researchers deliberately decided to include statements that lend support to the political views or policy position of each side of the political spectrum. Pull together statements that range across a variety of policy areas and current events (e.g., climate change, abortion, terrorism, immigration, democracy and elections)....

Quote:
The researchers themselves decided the leftness or rightness of the statements. It is so very obvious that I can't imagine how you missed it -- the researchers' biases are built into the statement selections.

And, as I said, social scientists are overwhelmingly liberal.

As I also said, if a statement is supposedly factual, but a respondent disagrees with it, they will probably not classify it as a fact.

No - they decided to use a MIX of left and right statements....they did pilot testing...they had outside advisors...they put all the statements through several fact-testing steps.

All you have said is that a couple examples were biased. You did not say how...and you did not comment on the entire set of questions. The questions ranged from liberal to conservative...so yes, there were liberal statements AND conservative.

You're a dog with a bone...to pick. You get an idea in your head and that's the end of it. No - you're not a scientist or a researcher either.

Now - YOU write some statements. I want to see what you choose. "Of course" (your favorite statement) you'll likely refuse because it is biased to even ask a question that has any chance of showing "age discrimination". Why is age discrimination such a hot topic for you, anyway - it may help us to understand your motivations.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

The conclusion of this particular PEW Research presents an opinion about opinions based primarily on the opinions of its participants. How factual is that??
What are you talking about? This very thread is outing people who can't tell the difference between fact and opinion.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:33 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
No, all you're doing is appealing to your own authority by mentioning your credentials. PhD's prove nothing in and of themselves; arguments (meaning the facts and logic that comprise them) are what matter.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
What are you talking about? This very thread is outing people who can't tell the difference between fact and opinion.
I tell ya, this is one of the most bizarre threads I've seen in awhile! Talk about being from a different planet...

Old 11-01-2018, 02:17 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
No, all you're doing is appealing to your own authority by mentioning your credentials. PhD's prove nothing in and of themselves; arguments (meaning the facts and logic that comprise them) are what matter.
Your ability to follow a conversation is lacking. Someone cannot appeal to their own authority if someone has asked or told them that they are a PhD. Your last sentence makes you seem as if you find credentials intimidating, as if the very idea leaves you with something to prove.

It makes perfect sense that you claim to not understand what other people write. You cant skim read a topic and use that as your basis to attack someone's point not based on the topic, but solely focused on any personal achievements they have made. If you have a valid point, there is no reason for anyone's personal credentials to make you feel inferior enough to lash out (meaning you don't need to go off on someone personally if you have a genuine point you are trying to make regarding the topic), especially if you truly believe what you just wrote.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-01-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 03:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,997 times
The fantastical misunderstanding of the Pew Research - where a bunch of questions that were asked are actually laid out for all to see, is quite astounding. The very first post in the thread I would have thought stared the confusion about opinion and fact, yet others independently come on here and still cannot distinguish between the two. Age bias be damned - comprehension does matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology