Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,556 times

Advertisements

Today is Halloween, a day in which we see many people in workplaces across the country compete for best costume, best carved pumpkin, and so forth.

Many introverts steer clear of participating in these kinds of activities because they don't want to draw any attention to themselves.

At the same time, some may feel awkward if, say, everyone in the department dresses up except them. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Do any of you refrain from participating in contests, events, and other activities for these reasons? Or are there others (e.g., fear of looking dumb, becoming heavily drained when there's too many people, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 01:05 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,413,884 times
I'm an introvert, but I like performing music, and I like teaching. In both of those, you are being stared at and there is a risk of making stupid mistakes. I like the challenge.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:09 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,725 times
Yes. One time I was asked to start/lead a meeting with very VIP types and nearly passed out. My subconscious had to take over and operated on auto pilot. I could 'hear' my heartbeat; I honestly thought I was going to die at that second.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,081 times
I can't speak for others but I am very much an introvert in that I crave alone time after parties, meetings, large get togethers, etc. But I don't mind public speaking much at all, which I guess is the "spotlight" while you are speaking. That said, I will never, ever be the loud person at the center of attention at a party, but I'm very comfortable speaking in front of others looking at me.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:20 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Today is Halloween, a day in which we see many people in workplaces across the country compete for best costume, best carved pumpkin, and so forth.

Many introverts steer clear of participating in these kinds of activities because they don't want to draw any attention to themselves.

At the same time, some may feel awkward if, say, everyone in the department dresses up except them. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Do any of you refrain from participating in contests, events, and other activities for these reasons? Or are there others (e.g., fear of looking dumb, becoming heavily drained when there's too many people, etc.)?

Only the getting-drained part would bug me. Dressing up is fun! One year we went to a party as 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.' Another as Hanz and Franz.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:35 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
I'm a middle of the road introvert. I avoid any public speaking even though I was required to speak at the big table (this consisted of all the upper management) whenever I was going to start and when I was finished with any king a cost reduction project. When I had to speak I just sucked it up and did it, but I didn't enjoy it.

I never search out the spot light.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:49 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
But if your costume is effective you wouldn't actually be in the spotlight, right?

Serious introvert here who absolutely loves Halloween and costume design. None of the old easy classics like witches, devils, celebrities, or black cats. I like a stretch...such as a natural phenomenon (thunderstorm, aurora borealis, ice, cloud) or an inanimate object (mysterious mail parcel, osprey nest, bowl of spaghetti, toaster with toast, squeaky dog toy). Once came to work dressed as a local petroglyph. What makes the difference is being able to get out of the spotlight for a recharge.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:49 PM

892 posts, read 483,614 times
i 'd just ask "do i have a choice?" no choice, no go. basic respect and voluntary, actual participation makes realistic sense.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
I enjoy participating in things that are fun, but you're right, typically I don't want to be the focus of attention. Actually, Halloween is the perfect holiday for an introvert (as someone said previously) because you have the fun of playing a role. which is kind of freeing. I remember one year I was Cyndi Lauper (it was the Girls Just Want to Have Fun days) and I died my hair orange, put on tons of makeup and wore a super short skirt - it was great!

Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
I was raised by schoolteacher Mom to get up there and do it. Agonizing.

But like many of you if it's something fun I love it. Getting dressed up for Halloween is especially fun.

My job involved quite a bit of public speaking which I was good at and could do but was about the only time I was voluntarily in the spotlight in my working life. I tend to be a watcher and a listener at parties but give me a group game and I'm right in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology