U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:37 PM

17,107 posts, read 52,247,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Interesting perspective. I meant someone versed in the symbolism/obscured language of dreams, as I believe that to be universal.
From a Jungian perspective, dream interpretation is not that simple. M.L. Von Franz was Jung's protege, and IIRC there is a section by her on the subject in Jung's "Man and His Symbols." The symbology of dreams can vary wildly and is always in the context of the dreamer, their development, and surrounding culture. She made it very clear that there is no "standard" interpretation of symbols in dreams.

At best, a casual dream interpretation might link to recent events the dreamer is processing, and perhaps some obvious personality development work, but REAL dream interpretation is a process and PART of a process that usually takes years. To fully interpret dreams, the analyst must have a full knowledge of the dreamer, the various steps on the road to individuation, a knowledge of common meanings of symbols, and have apprenticed and been guided for years, as well as having experienced the process itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 02:00 PM

642 posts, read 223,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
About the first one: If I'm not mistaken, I guess you mean a known phenomena among people, in slang I don't know what people call in English, but scientifically called "Sleep Paralysis" if you've ever heard of it.
It's rarely happen for people, or very few times for some, or even never happened for others. If it's happening a lot of times (over) to the extent that you can't sleep well, it will belong to the " Sleep disorders."

Good luck
I've had sleep paralysis before, but this scenario was actually in the dream. I have had other dreams where I am unable to scream as the sound will not come out. Or I try to hit someone, but the hit has no impact. I try, but it doesn't "land" with any force.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:28 PM

25,131 posts, read 27,389,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Aw geez, can't I just enjoy my dreams without making them into work? I want to wake up and understand instantly what they mean. Not write them down (or type them up) and laboriously overanalyze them. Is there a book for that?
For the most part, no. Sometimes you'll know what a dream means instantly, but that's somewhat uncommon. However, if you do some dreamwork, you'll learn to interpret your dreams more quickly as time goes on.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 AM

9,244 posts, read 5,057,067 times
Hmmmmmm, it was in Berlin, right after WWII. I was the second on a two person Army (were we?) sniper team, we were both carrying M-14s. The primary was going to insert his magazine but dropped it, so I moved into position. The target, a man with a white stripe around his hat, was atop a church roof with someone else, they were a thousand yards away, just a dot on the post, and I took him out.

At first, it was being said that the other person had taken the hit, had the misfortune to step into the way, but then it was noted that it was the man in the white stripe hat. I was feeling accelerated at having done my first kill.

But then at regional matches, so many of us were there.....including a man with a white stripe hat. So who had I hit?

Okay, two things. First of all, this dream was in B&W but I suppose that happened due to the time setting of the dream. Secondly, I am like most people that when it comes to pulling the trigger in a dream, the trigger has a 1000 lb trigger pull. One pulls and pulls on the trigger but can't fire it.

Quite the opposite in this dream. Maybe because he was just a dot on the post?

Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 205 times
Reply to post by TamaraSavannah: War setting and role of sniper.

Suggested reading:

War setting: at odds with something, someone or with an organization
Sniper role: able to see particular flaws/errors not normally seen or detected
“I Took him out”: rejection, or cause for rejection
Target atop a church: pertaining to a spiritual hierarchy
Man with a white stripe around his hat: Mercury/Hermes = Gabriel who some say (mythically) scales the depths and heights of creation

Note: I once also encountered a man with a black ribbon hatband (panama hat) in one of my dreams. The band had what looked like a feather attached. The hatband, feather and jewel point to the presence of Mercury. Feather in the headband = Mercury's winged hat. I was on my way to catch a flight at the airport but first had to go through him for security and baggage checks.

Last edited by Jay_99; 12-30-2018 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Reply to ommitted

Old 01-02-2019, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 205 times
2019 dream forebodings:

I am in an auditorium listening to a talk on how to achieve Peace among people. I am seated close to the front next to large windows which are to my left. As the speaker continues to talk, through the windows I see a large angry bull elephant approaching in the distance with ears flapping and trunk curling and uncurling as he charges towards us. As he nears, making powerful roars that frighten everyone, I rise and move towards the rear of the auditorium as a precaution. Most stay put, either unaware of the danger or think the elephant's charge is a bluff. But as he crashes through the windows and catches hold of a woman with his trunk, he makes a large bellowing sound and rises on his hind feet which sent everyone running and screaming.

Elephant: earth symbol (=nature; natural environment)
Windows: perception
In the distance: approaches later in the year

Notes:
In a positive sense, as I have seen in other dreams, the elephant signifys “removal of obstacles” and is the root of all growth. Among the Hindu, the elephant represents Ganesha, Lord of all beginnings and is invoked to bestow protection over all undertakings. On the negative side, its linked with sensual gratification, greed and self-centeredness which can lead to violence when not satisfied.

Since the elephant = nature (natural environment) it may also relate to the negative aspects of climate change on the horizon.

On a purely personal front, a warning that without moderation, physical health issues may arise during the year.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,011,197 times
Here's an interesting little snippet... I realized that my SHOE (right one) couldn't drive my car. I was out in the middle of nowhere, and it was an old, worn-out shoe. When I depressed the gas pedal, nothing happened, so I concluded that the shoe was at fault. I took it off and examined it; gave it to several other people who also examined it quizzically. In the end, I decided I'd have to borrow someone else's shoe in order to drive home.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

4,942 posts, read 1,718,221 times
Quote:
Here's an interesting little snippet... I realized that my SHOE (right one) couldn't drive my car. I was out in the middle of nowhere, and it was an old, worn-out shoe. When I depressed the gas pedal, nothing happened, so I concluded that the shoe was at fault. I took it off and examined it; gave it to several other people who also examined it quizzically. In the end, I decided I'd have to borrow someone else's shoe in order to drive home.

Something that you've used for protection isn't working for you anymore. Might be a coping mechanism, might be something more tangential...but something that USED to work for you doesn't anymore, and you're coming to realize that.

(there's my 2 cents.) LOL

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,011,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Something that you've used for protection isn't working for you anymore. Might be a coping mechanism, might be something more tangential...but something that USED to work for you doesn't anymore, and you're coming to realize that.

(there's my 2 cents.) LOL
But what does the shoe symbolize? And car, for that matter.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

4,942 posts, read 1,718,221 times
Quote:
But what does the shoe symbolize? And car, for that matter.

Shoes are protection for your feet. Without shoes, it's hard to be mobile. It's hard to move forward. (Take it symbolically...obviously plenty of people walk around barefoot)...but the shoe used to work for you...USED to propel your forward...now it doesn't. As a matter of fact, it holds you back.

Also, a car propels you forward, go where you need to go, etc. It represents your independence. So, your old worn out shoe...that USED to be beneficial, and helpful, is now hindering your independence and ability to 'move on' with your life.

It's probably important that it's your right shoe...since it stood out in your mind...but I don't know what that would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or