Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Wow; I love that we have Jay_99 here to help us understand these things!

Last night...

I was back at my old family home, which I deeply regret selling/leaving and where I dream almost every night that I'm back at, decluttering the basement. I was discarding an assortment of ceramics/pottery: a white teapot shaped like a chicken, a striped coffee mug, and planters (all striped, I've ever actually owned any of these things). I thought twice about the pots, but then decided, "I might want to garden one day, but I can always buy new ones."

However, I had stored some "treasures" (they were all gleaming brass/gold, including a box with holes in it, like an incense holder) by the large tree near some blooming shrubs (the new owner cut down and torn out all the landscaping, so this is all bare now). I wondered if anyone had stolen them, but they were hidden by the foliage/greenery/long grass and were still there.

As I ran through the yard toward them, I came upon the spot where our bird bath had stood (the new owner has made this verdant field a parking lot for old cars; obscene and heartbreaking), and there were two white roses in full bloom with dew on the petals sparkling in the sun growing there. The bush was emerging from a pool of water which I noticed was steaming; I felt the water, and it was warm.

I thought, "I wonder if Mom (whose house it was) knows that there's a hot spring here?"

Good luck with that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 PM

40 posts, read 18,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was back at my old family home, which I deeply regret selling/leaving and where I dream almost every night that I'm back at, decluttering the basement. I was discarding an assortment of ceramics/pottery: a white teapot shaped like a chicken, a striped coffee mug, and planters (all striped, I've ever actually owned any of these things). I thought twice about the pots, but then decided, "I might want to garden one day, but I can always buy new ones."

However, I had stored some "treasures" (they were all gleaming brass/gold, including a box with holes in it, like an incense holder) by the large tree near some blooming shrubs (the new owner cut down and torn out all the landscaping, so this is all bare now). I wondered if anyone had stolen them, but they were hidden by the foliage/greenery/long grass and were still there.

As I ran through the yard toward them, I came upon the spot where our bird bath had stood (the new owner has made this verdant field a parking lot for old cars; obscene and heartbreaking), and there were two white roses in full bloom with dew on the petals sparkling in the sun growing there. The bush was emerging from a pool of water which I noticed was steaming; I felt the water, and it was warm.

I thought, "I wonder if Mom (whose house it was) knows that there's a hot spring here?"
Your dream attempts to take you back to your family roots and beyond, integrating all that has come before (symbolically) so that you can move forward creatively towards a new start in life. But there is more yet to come. The building blocks of life are in the process of being reconfigured to shape the “New You.”

This dream is rich in symbolism.

The Symbols

I was back at my old family home: you are reminiscing about the past. In order to move forward in life, you must first come to terms with your past.

I'm back decluttering the basement: the basement refers to stored memories, remembered and unremembered.

Discarding an assortment of ceramics/pottery: some memories you desire to bring forward into your new phase of life that is on the horizon and some you do not feel are suitable.

A white teapot shaped like a chicken, a striped coffee mug, and planters - all striped: they have stripes because they have different aspects that must be considered before you make up your mind about them.

I thought twice about the pots but then decided, “I might want to garden one day, but I can always buy new ones”: you might want to garden again = create a new life. The pots are the containers (=bodies) which you can also create = like all women, you inwardly sense you have in yourself an equivalent to the “Life Force.”

I had stored some treasures: pleasant memories from which new growth can spring.

They were all gleaming brass/gold, including a box with holes in it, like an incense holder: they were “golden memories,” which at that time you had felt gratitude for having experienced them.

By the large tree near some blooming shrubs: stored very near what could be taken as next to a version of the “Tree of Life.”

I wondered if they had been stolen, but found they were hidden by the foliage /greenery/ long grass and were still there: you wondered if they had been stolen because of negligence. But luckily you had been in innocence (=the greenery), so they are still with you.

I ran through the yard toward them: you were eager and glad to find that you were still in possession of them.

I came upon the spot where our bird-bath had stood: the bird-bath = where the Spirit of Life takes on bodily form = the “Fountain of Life.”

Two white roses in full bloom with dew on the petals sparkling in the sun growing there: a purity of life evolves where intellect (=Sun) meets the dew on the petals = love.

A bush was emerging from a pool of water which I noticed was steaming: you notice new life within you emerging, gathering steam (=a flowering).

I felt the water [from the pool] and it was warm: an emotional warmth emerges from within that promotes growth.

I wonder if Mom (whose house it was) knows that there's a hot spring here: was there memory in past generations, of the inner wealth of knowledge and warmth of what was there originally, that you now possess?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 AM

Wow. Very cool! I can't thank you enough, Jay_99; you, too, are a "treasure." That's certainly a more optimistic landscape than usual.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_99 View Post
Your dream attempts to take you back to your family roots and beyond, integrating all that has come before (symbolically) so that you can move forward creatively towards a new start in life. But there is more yet to come. The building blocks of life are in the process of being reconfigured to shape the “New You.”

This dream is rich in symbolism.

The Symbols

I was back at my old family home: you are reminiscing about the past. In order to move forward in life, you must first come to terms with your past.

I'm back decluttering the basement: the basement refers to stored memories, remembered and unremembered.

Discarding an assortment of ceramics/pottery: some memories you desire to bring forward into your new phase of life that is on the horizon and some you do not feel are suitable.

A white teapot shaped like a chicken, a striped coffee mug, and planters - all striped: they have stripes because they have different aspects that must be considered before you make up your mind about them.

I thought twice about the pots but then decided, “I might want to garden one day, but I can always buy new ones”: you might want to garden again = create a new life. The pots are the containers (=bodies) which you can also create = like all women, you inwardly sense you have in yourself an equivalent to the “Life Force.”

I had stored some treasures: pleasant memories from which new growth can spring.

They were all gleaming brass/gold, including a box with holes in it, like an incense holder: they were “golden memories,” which at that time you had felt gratitude for having experienced them.

By the large tree near some blooming shrubs: stored very near what could be taken as next to a version of the “Tree of Life.”

I wondered if they had been stolen, but found they were hidden by the foliage /greenery/ long grass and were still there: you wondered if they had been stolen because of negligence. But luckily you had been in innocence (=the greenery), so they are still with you.

I ran through the yard toward them: you were eager and glad to find that you were still in possession of them.

I came upon the spot where our bird-bath had stood: the bird-bath = where the Spirit of Life takes on bodily form = the “Fountain of Life.”

Two white roses in full bloom with dew on the petals sparkling in the sun growing there: a purity of life evolves where intellect (=Sun) meets the dew on the petals = love.

A bush was emerging from a pool of water which I noticed was steaming: you notice new life within you emerging, gathering steam (=a flowering).

I felt the water [from the pool] and it was warm: an emotional warmth emerges from within that promotes growth.

I wonder if Mom (whose house it was) knows that there's a hot spring here: was there memory in past generations, of the inner wealth of knowledge and warmth of what was there originally, that you now possess?
Only one problem with this interpretation: all the "hopeful" symbols have to do with landscaping that is no longer there. Not only is it no longer my home or property, but the trees, bushes, flowers, and even grass are literally gone now. Whenever I, rarely, dream that I'm in another or a new property, it's not a nice place and not a happy experience.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Only one problem with this interpretation: all the "hopeful" symbols have to do with landscaping that is no longer there. Not only is it no longer my home or property, but the trees, bushes, flowers, and even grass are literally gone now. Whenever I, rarely, dream that I'm in another or a new property, it's not a nice place and not a happy experience.
The dream refers to an inner landscape and to a state of mind that is “hopeful” as you say, that you can always have with you no matter where you are. The opposite would be a description of inner devastation, as when someone encounters a situation that is very emotionally traumatic or sinks into a deep depression.

So this last dream took you to place in yourself where you are able to tap your inner creative reserves and get your bearings. Temporary dream retreats are like that and resemble actual journeys to a retreat sanctuary. They serve a higher, longer-term purpose, and are a means to another destination, that arrives later and requires patience to get there.

Now and then, dreams are sometimes best understood when they are recognized as belonging to a series where there is a common theme. For instance, this last one appears to be in part an answer to the one where you are back home trying to call 911 for your mother. In that dream, there appears to be a displacement of your mother who substitutes for you, just as fathers in a dream can be seen as substitutes for sons, and vice versa.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 AM

You'll love this one (short and sweet or, rather, all I can remember is this little snippet):

I was back in my childhood bedroom in my family home - you may be gathering that I've been traumatized by this loss - and there were wasps or yellow-jackets (yellow and black striped; not the solid reddish black) crawling on the window casings. Not totally covering them; just three or four to each of the three windows window. I told my brother (not sure why he was in there) to kill them and closed the door behind me, but - when I arrived back - he hadn't, so I went to do it myself with a fly-swatter. Right before I hit them, though, they were all transformed on one window sill into a dozen little yellow and black birds, like Goldfinches, although I remember thinking that they were Chinese birds, for some reason. I was glad I hadn't harmed them.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You'll love this one (short and sweet or, rather, all I can remember is this little snippet):

I was back in my childhood bedroom in my family home - you may be gathering that I've been traumatized by this loss - and there were wasps or yellow-jackets (yellow and black striped; not the solid reddish black) crawling on the window casings. Not totally covering them; just three or four to each of the three windows window. I told my brother (not sure why he was in there) to kill them and closed the door behind me, but - when I arrived back - he hadn't, so I went to do it myself with a fly-swatter. Right before I hit them, though, they were all transformed on one window sill into a dozen little yellow and black birds, like Goldfinches, although I remember thinking that they were Chinese birds, for some reason. I was glad I hadn't harmed them.
New life and growth as it emerges is not only mysterious but a truly miraculous process, as shown in this dream of yours and the one prior. There is a Chinese saying which reads: “yellow generates yin (feminine energy) and yang (masculine energy).” By which they mean that yellow is the color of the center of everything that is fruitful. And it just happens to coincide with spring approaching. For migratory goldfinches that means returning to their breeding grounds in the north (=up). Just the other day, in a dream I found myself with fellow travelers going in that same direction.

The symbols

My childhood bedroom: the state of innocence. There is a lot of darkness (=black) in our youthful state of innocence but which may evolve in our later years into an innocence in which there is intelligence (=yellow)

Wasps or yellow-jackets: feelings, thoughts, and intuitions that contain within them an opposition, condensed into stinging/soothing aspects, but where the stinging aspect predominates.

Crawling on the window casing: a various number of these surface, perceptible to unconscious perception.

I told my brother to kill them: the power behind words and thoughts; sometimes we are fortunate they are not put into action.

[The Wasps or yellow-jackets] were all transformed: the positive aspects are amplified, initiating an inner creative evolution towards the benevolent and exotic.

Transformed into little yellow and blackbirds, like Goldfinches: in alchemical terms, a complete transformation has begun: extending from first (=black) to last (=yellow).

Thinking they were Chinese birds: from the east [=from where the Sun (yellow) rises]

Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 PM

Beyond the clouds

It's late in the evening when arriving back home where I grew up. The old place seems unfamiliar, perhaps from having been gone for so long. As I walk in, my brothers are working on something in the dark and I notice the floor is wet. I wonder where all the water is coming from, so I turn on the lights. The water is coming from all the house plants that have tipped over and have left a trail of soil and water that leads to the front door – they appear to be trying to leave the house. I call attention to what I have seen. One of my brothers gets anxious and says someone should probably try to reach Mom to fix things. I volunteer to go and ask where she's gone. He replies, “She has gone to Deer Park.” “I should know how to get there, if not, I can get directions from Jerry.”

The Symbols
Home: paradise in decay
Brothers working in the dark: in ignorance concerning the state of the family situation
House plants are leaving: life departing
My mother and Jerry: both deceased
Deer Park: deer= nature; park (etymology)= paradise => nature's paradise

Note: I will be going home soon to see my father who lives alone in the family home under the care of health-care providers. My brothers say they sometimes drop in to check on him, but sisters not so much.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
What about a house I never lived in, but I dream about it over and over and over? I don't even think such a house exists, and there is always something strange about it, though the strangeness changes.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What about a house I never lived in, but I dream about it over and over and over? I don't even think such a house exists, and there is always something strange about it, though the strangeness changes.
A house typically represents the mind. For instance, a multi-storied house represents various levels of mind, where the roof and upper levels refer to supra-conscious planes and lower levels to infra-conscious areas. The rooms can represent strictly functional areas of the mind, such as the kitchen (for thinking/cooking up thoughts) or living-room for interpersonal communication, etc.

Then there are houses that refer to a group mind, such as a family house, boarding houses or houses of worship (=temples/churches), etc. This idea runs parallel to “houses on wheels,” such as cars, buses, trains, airplanes, etc. when the mind is in motion.

So we come to see that our thoughts and feelings require a place to dwell. That dwelling is our house for a time, that is, until we seek to dwell on something else that takes us to very different sort of house to live in. This is usually different from a physical house which only represents the mind. For example, a person may live in a small apartment or condominium but his/her mind (=house) according to the dream may be far more magnificent, or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology