Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:23 AM

21,555 posts, read 12,627,737 times

Advertisements

I notice on the Food and Drink forum, there are "what are you drinking now" and "what's for lunch" running threads. I wonder if anyone has every tried -- or there'd be any interest in -- a dream interpretation thread. I know I'm terrible at that and would welcome others' input, particularly those with a knack or talent for it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,594,113 times
I studied Dreamwork . . . I like Jeremy Taylor's model: You tell the dream, people listen and then project on it . . . "if it were my dream."

Then the dreamer gets "aha's" (or not) . . . it's a very simple, but effective method of dream interpretation.

It leaves the "aha's" up to the dreamer, so it is respectful in that way. You don't want other people telling you what your dream means, but if they project on it and say "If it were my dream," they own the projections and that creates a space for respect and sovereignty.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I studied Dreamwork . . . I like Jeremy Taylor's model: You tell the dream, people listen and then project on it . . . "if it were my dream."

Then the dreamer gets "aha's" (or not) . . . it's a very simple, but effective method of dream interpretation.

It leaves the "aha's" up to the dreamer, so it is respectful in that way. You don't want other people telling you what your dream means, but if they project on it and say "If it were my dream," they own the projections and that creates a space for respect and sovereignty.
Interesting perspective. I meant someone versed in the symbolism/obscured language of dreams, as I believe that to be universal.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 PM

6,708 posts, read 4,694,509 times
My last dream was of DH and myself being outside our house in the shrubbery. Seems like we were checking the siding of the house. I noticed he had three slugs in his hair. I didn't want to touch them so I was trying to remove them with twigs, all the while telling him not to move.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
I think this could be an interesting and ongoing thread. My philosphy regarding dreams...it's the subconcious trying to tell you something. I think re-occuring dreams are when your concious mind just isn't getting the message. And sometimes, it's just the subconcious cleaning out the hubris of the day.

I DO think some symbolisms are universal. To dream of a house, the house represents YOU. A dirty, or spooky or haunted house, would represent that something about yourself that you find dirty, spooky, or haunting. And to dream of a happy, well lit, welcoming house is a positive dream, where things are upbeat, etc.

To dream of a parent is to dream about your super ego. The authoritarian part of you. Your mother would be the feminine aspects of your personality (whether you're a man or a woman) and to dream of your father would be to dream of the more masculine aspects of your personality...whether you're a man or a woman. (We all have feminine and masculine aspects to us.)

To dream of being back in school means that you have something looming as a new challenge in front of you...but you've conquered challenges before, and your subconcious is telling you "You did it once, you can do it again."

Anyway...there are a lot of somewhat standard symbolisms to dreams.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,212,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think this could be an interesting and ongoing thread. My philosphy regarding dreams...it's the subconcious trying to tell you something. I think re-occuring dreams are when your concious mind just isn't getting the message. And sometimes, it's just the subconcious cleaning out the hubris of the day.

I DO think some symbolisms are universal. To dream of a house, the house represents YOU. A dirty, or spooky or haunted house, would represent that something about yourself that you find dirty, spooky, or haunting. And to dream of a happy, well lit, welcoming house is a positive dream, where things are upbeat, etc.

To dream of a parent is to dream about your super ego. The authoritarian part of you. Your mother would be the feminine aspects of your personality (whether you're a man or a woman) and to dream of your father would be to dream of the more masculine aspects of your personality...whether you're a man or a woman. (We all have feminine and masculine aspects to us.)

To dream of being back in school means that you have something looming as a new challenge in front of you...but you've conquered challenges before, and your subconcious is telling you "You did it once, you can do it again."

Anyway...there are a lot of somewhat standard symbolisms to dreams.
Interesting - a house is symbolic and represents you but the condition of the house is a concrete representation of your inner self?

I think dream interpretation is simply a thought exercise - with much the same being accomplished by reading your daily horoscope and thinking about how that either applies or doesn't apply to your life. It's a Rorschach variation of a "blank" that you then project onto to figure yourself out.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
My last dream was of DH and myself being outside our house in the shrubbery. Seems like we were checking the siding of the house. I noticed he had three slugs in his hair. I didn't want to touch them so I was trying to remove them with twigs, all the while telling him not to move.
If nothing else... This thread could be entertaining!

Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting - a house is symbolic and represents you but the condition of the house is a concrete representation of your inner self?

I think dream interpretation is simply a thought exercise - with much the same being accomplished by reading your daily horoscope and thinking about how that either applies or doesn't apply to your life. It's a Rorschach variation of a "blank" that you then project onto to figure yourself out.

Yes, Houses in dreams are the symbolic representation of the dreamer’s sense of self. No matter what other imagery or circumstances may present themselves in a dream, a house should be considered an unconscious expression of your sense of personal identity.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM

919 posts, read 843,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I notice on the Food and Drink forum, there are "what are you drinking now" and "what's for lunch" running threads. I wonder if anyone has every tried -- or there'd be any interest in -- a dream interpretation thread. I know I'm terrible at that and would welcome others' input, particularly those with a knack or talent for it. Thoughts?
I have an extremely superficial acquaintance with psychology and with interpretation of dreams.
Having said that - I believe there is a whole gamut of dreams.

-- Some are quite simply the manifestations of your recent thoughts, hopes, and fears. I once dreamt that my wife lost my kid because I distracted her. This was a few days before all of us were going to go camping. Another time, I dreamt of a complete backstory of a character I was trying to put in my novel. The dream itself was a sequence of events that happened to him and his family.

-- Some are influenced by mind-altering substances. Dreams when you are drunk or high are quite different from normal dreams (or so I hear )

-- Some are influenced by your body - I have dreamt of:
being stuck in a desert or a rocky barren wasteland. I woke up and was very thirsty.
falling from a great height, like a cliff or a skyscraper. I woke up and my foot was hanging off the bed.
being surrounded by toilets. I woke up and had to pee.

-- Some come from such a deep place that you can't even begin to understand the symbolism with any certainty. Of course you can consciously project some coherent narrative on your dream, but I am never sure if that's really the "correct" interpretation of whatever my deep unconscious was saying. I once dreamt of two Mafia horses (yes, horses) knocking on my door trying to collect on a debt I had welshed on. In real life I engage in no equestrian pursuits - riding, betting on races, or anything; and my debts are quite manageable (mortgage, car payments etc) - nothing I'd need a loan shark (loan horse?) for.

My Dad had a theory that I fully subscribe to: if you eat food that gives you gas, you will have more and stranger dreams. Might just be my family though.
EDIT: I will bet anyone here a dollar (and you can send Mafia horses to collect it) that one day, scientists find that your gut bacteria affect your thoughts and dreams far more than anyone gives them credit for today. I won't be surprised if "gut feeling", "gut instinct" and so on are literally true. After all, they recently found that "heartbreak" is a medically valid term.

I won't even go into R-rated content.

Last edited by cfa-ish; 11-09-2018 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,594,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Interesting perspective. I meant someone versed in the symbolism/obscured language of dreams, as I believe that to be universal.
People who study dreamwork are typically familiar with archetypes and symbols. Jeremy Taylor's work is situation in Jungian psychology, amongst other, more ancient perspectives.

Sounds like you are not interested in what has been offered.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology