Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is life boring?
Yes 8 14.55%
No 38 69.09%
It Depends 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:28 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times

Advertisements

I don't understand people who get bored. Lack of imagination and too dependent on others to "entertain" them. As we've seen, this can be a very dangerous combination. Many such people are narcissists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I think life isn't so much boring as the daily routine can become monotonous. Ironically 18 months ago I was so bored but in the last year I feel the complete opposite.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:22 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Words of a psychopath. That's why non-criminal psychopaths create drama because they are bored. Hurting others is their entertainment.
This. This guy had a long history of being a psycho, well before his military service. He was just a garden variety nut job, but he'd been trained to kill

I'm never bored. If I am, I get up and do something because for me it's a sign of depression

Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Is life boring? To many, perhaps. When I hear someone say they have no time for < insert fun activity here > but they can recount 6-hrs of TV programming from the night before & are out of shape, overweight & consistently unhappy... I know they've fallen into a rut & are bored by their own life. Some ruts last months, some years, some decades, some lifetimes.

My life tends to be a rollercoaster ride & that's not always good or comfortable, but it is never boring. I try to remind myself that we're the masters of our own destinies & I can change most things. Not every area of my life is to my liking, but I'm always striving to change that & improve. I refuse to give up... thickheaded me.

For those who are bored, don't wallow in it, change it... & complaining about it to others doesn't change it, it only makes others not want to suffer with you & run for the hills. We create or accept most things. Don't create or accept boredom... it's a distressing feeling. We all deserve better.

Have a fun day, All.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Life is boring, yes, but I feel bad answering in the affirmative here given the association you've made. Quite the trick, OP.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Perception is reality...unless it's not. You make your bed you have to sleep in it.

Personally I couldn't care less about anything this being thought or wrote. Yes, I understand the desire to understand and possibly prevent someone else doing the same thing, but I doubt that will happen. Giving his "thoughts" weight by broadcasting them is disgusting titillation IMHO.
Nah, general boringness of life notwithstanding, psychology is pretty interesting, and the psychology of 'deviants'/abnormal psychology is the most interesting of all. Fact is (in reality it's my opinion, but pardon the rhetorical device), most people are extremely boring and clone-like, so when people decide to act outside the norm, for good or ill, they'll always get my attention (so long as I'm aware of it).

Old 11-16-2018, 01:01 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
This. This guy had a long history of being a psycho, well before his military service. He was just a garden variety nut job, but he'd been trained to kill

I'm never bored. If I am, I get up and do something because for me it's a sign of depression
I didn't see bjh's post. So true. Working in a social services type setting means you may make decisions that can greatly impact peoples lives. I was in a training group where one of the trainees asked one of my supervisors why they spent time working on a particular project if the data showed the outcome wasn't worth the effort (I have to be vague here...sorry). The sup shrugged and responded, "Because it's fun." I couldn't believe this person felt so comfortable saying that in a group setting. Basically admitting we put people through hell for no good reason at all. Some people are just sick individuals and have no self-awareness.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:35 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Words of a psychopath. That's why non-criminal psychopaths create drama because they are bored. Hurting others is their entertainment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
This. This guy had a long history of being a psycho, well before his military service. He was just a garden variety nut job, but he'd been trained to kill./
I think that's a good response. What normal person thinks murdering someone is a solution to boredom? It reduces respect for human life to a plaything.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I do not understand the concept of bored. I would like to be bored for a bit because it seems relaxing and chill.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
There's too much Need in our world. Anyone who is bored should go help somebody in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology