Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:55 AM

13 posts, read 7,747 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 06:40 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Thanks for the insight into what might be going on with her. I wonder if she has ever spoken to a professional about any of it. Where I am in Louisiana, we're pretty guilty of leaving those with mental illness out in the cold with few resources. Some of my patrons have someone taking care of them, though, and seem to have an awareness of what's going on and will go as far as to say, "I'm sorry, but I'm off my meds" and that sort of thing. What stands out, I guess, is that our other patrons who hear voices seem to have more pleasant conversations with them. She is always upset. Anyway, not to belabor the point--I'll see what my manager has to say about my concerns.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
As long as she is not a danger to herself or others, there is not any need to do anything. This may be her way of coping with her illness. Let her be.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
As long as she is not a danger to herself or others, there is not any need to do anything. This may be her way of coping with her illness. Let her be.
I spoke to the manager and she said it isn't appropriate for us to contact the shelter because the patron is not a minor. She said we can't really do anything unless she threatens to or attempts to hurt herself or someone else. I don't think that's going to happen...just a feeling I get. So maybe it is best to leave it alone at this point.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Looking at the "bright side of things", is it possible you are misinterpreting the situation and she's not some intellectual?

I talk to myself but it is a long hold over from being a pilot, doing long drives (both as means to keep alert), field evaluations (talking to a tape recorder), and doing psychological testing where we want subjects to think out loud so we can record information.

Further, one of my "talents" is to be able to ask my mind, "Okay, let's step back from this and forget all what we know about the situation. Take another point of view and convince me that I am viewing the information incorrectly.".

GRANTED, in all possibilities it is probably as you see it........but is it possible?

Old 11-27-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
GRANTED, in all possibilities it is probably as you see it........but is it possible?
I don't think so. The other day when I was walking into work, she was outside the building, screaming obscenities at the top of her lungs and seeming to accuse someone of "ruining everything." I said "good morning" as I walked past, and she stopped, smiled and said, "Hello!" and seemed to calm down. But a few minutes later, a coworker came through and said she was screaming when he got out of his car and started walking to the building. A few days ago, she stopped in front of my desk, said something incoherent, and stomped on the carpet as hard as she could, it seemed. I don't think she has much of a hold on reality when these things happen. I wish there was something I could do, but all I can do is try to be kind and accommodating.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
You can't be helpful to her.This person needs to be on medication right away.Maybe if you can find some way to contact someone from the shelter...???She needs to be on medication.

Well...she's already being helpful to this lady by letting her spend the day in a temperature controlled, safe place.

Now...that might be ALL OP can do, but that's a lot.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Looking at the "bright side of things", is it possible you are misinterpreting the situation and she's not some intellectual?

I talk to myself but it is a long hold over from being a pilot, doing long drives (both as means to keep alert), field evaluations (talking to a tape recorder), and doing psychological testing where we want subjects to think out loud so we can record information.

Further, one of my "talents" is to be able to ask my mind, "Okay, let's step back from this and forget all what we know about the situation. Take another point of view and convince me that I am viewing the information incorrectly.".

I don't know if being an eccentric "intellectual" makes the behaviors the OP has cited acceptable. While this person can sometimes hold it together at other times she is very disruptive, angry, and potentially dangerous in terms of being unpredictable and not always open to others intervening. The reasons for this behavior can determine possible remedies but don't determine general acceptability.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't know if being an eccentric "intellectual" makes the behaviors the OP has cited acceptable. While this person can sometimes hold it together at other times she is very disruptive, angry, and potentially dangerous in terms of being unpredictable and not always open to others intervening. The reasons for this behavior can determine possible remedies but don't determine general acceptability.

All I asked was if it was possible it is something else.

It sounds like it is as the OP says. Admittedly, screaming bad words to the skies doesn't sound anywhere in the ball park of barking commands to the trees (been there, done that).....but before we conclude, we should consider alternate theories.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:05 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
She's going through a rough patch and the only way to deal with it is to talk it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology