Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:30 PM

19,475 posts, read 9,022,567 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the Minnesota thread about people complaining about cold weather already, and so the question of why people vary as to their preference for weather/climate.

Is it personality. what one is accustomed to, what one "grew up with", the kind of weather that one associates with good times or good memories, or what?

Just to start things off, I was born in Ohio and HATED SoCal when my family moved there when I was nine years old. I had loved ALL of the distinct four seasons in northeastern Ohio vs. the long dry spells broken only by occasional rain starting in November and ending in May (which is what SoCal weather is like -- or at least, how it was 30+ years ago). Then, when I started reading Little Women (I read it many times), it just brought back the longing for the "Currier and Ives" type of climate.

BUT . . . I am also an introvert, and so I love curling up with a good book in front of the fire on a rainy or snowy day as much as I enjoy a walk in autumn woods or swimming in a lake in summer or seeing the fruit trees blossom in spring. My idea of hell would be living in Phoenix OR in the Arctic, but I know that there are many, MANY people who just adore living in the desert and 90-degree sunny days almost all the time.

And still another thought -- I spent nine horrible months in Alabama when I was 19, and to this day, I hate hot, humid days -- even though Ohio had many of those, too.

So what do all of you think about weather/climate preferences, and what kind of climate and weather suits you?

Last edited by katharsis; 11-29-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 PM

11,916 posts, read 8,244,234 times
I've never heard of weather preference correlating with personality type but am willing to consider it. I'd think it would have more to do with metabolism or perhaps various body ailments.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,034,967 times
I think people who favor the diversity of the seasons, and are willing to "pay the price" if you will regarding putting up with cold/snow... heat/humidity... etc. are indeed folks with more depth and dimension than people who would be perfectly happy with a constant or static climate (usually a warm one).

The smell of sun/salt/sand/sunscreen gets replaced with autumn leaves/apple cider and then firewood/balsam fir/hot cocoa followed by spring rain/budding flowers/cut grass. Your nose never gets bored...

Your eyes don't get bored either, outdoor sports and recreation are more diverse as the seasons change...

Very soul satisfying!! Think of the poetry alone that is "seasonal specific". And who wants to eat a steaming hot plate of "Boeuf Borguignon" with a Hearty Burgundy in the heat...

I honestly do not think my nose would move to Florida.. It would ask for a legal separation based on Balsam Fir alone if I entertained the idea...

Old 11-29-2018, 07:31 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,918,856 times
old 80/20 rule.
80% genetics.
20% other.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 841,531 times
There was a study that I saw that said that introverts prefer mountainous areas while extraverts prefer hot beaches. I forget why but it’s online.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,054,295 times
Idk, I have lived in ohio my entire life, but I hate the cold and snow. I'd like to be where it never really gets below 50. Sunny and 80+ is my preference. I have just always hated being cold!

Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 PM

61,171 posts, read 85,998,837 times
I think it goes both ways: weather preference could be related to personality, and personality could be related to weather...

I hate heat and I am pretty sure my personality is affected by it.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Born and raised in the East -- no choice in this one.

Ex moved me to So. Calif. in my later 20's and I've been here over 53 yrs and can't imagine going to cold, humidity, furnace heating the house, a/c cooling house, I have wall heater in LR that I use it a few months out of the year for a few minutes daily in the winter, a fan if we get heat waves in summer and love love love spending (not anymore) day at the beach. And I am an extrovert....so that's interesting.

I DO NOT LIKE TO BE COLD.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:30 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
Well, as beautiful as Hawaii is, I would not want to live there. I do like some variety in the weather. I really enjoy living in the PNW even though I become tired of the dreary winters and springs. I have become used to the coolness though.

I don’t know that my preference is tied to my personality. I do get uncomfortably cold here, probably because it is damp. I’ve learned how to dress so I’m warm. Our winters are usually not as severe as they were in MO. I don’t care if I never see snow again, frankly.

Much of my preference is tied to the beauty of the area, I think. It is not so much the climate, as it is the environment.

I have no idea how my personality affects my likes and dislikes regarding climate.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:56 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times
Yes.

I think it has something to do with my overall mood, but I don't really understand how it works exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology