Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:00 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
OP, are you the 8 year old's father?

You know, C-D doesn't charge us by the word to post. How about giving us a few more details – all at once – without posters having to ask questions like we're on a game show?
I'm his father's friend.

I just want to know why he adores his big brother than the other siblings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
The family is comprised of a 26-year old son, a 25-year old daughter, a 22-year old son, a 19-year old daughter and a 8-year old son. 3 sons, 2 daughters.

The father was born in 1967, the mother born 1971. The two got married while in college.
Well, look. The 26 year old IS the "big brother" to all the other kids, too. He was the first born and about 18 when the 8 year old came along. Why SHOULDN'T the kid look up to him?

None of us can really say why but they seem to have a special bond. Maybe their personalities are similar. Maybe big brother gives him more attention and makes him feel special. Siblings relate to each other differently than they do to their parents.

What else do you expect us to be able to uncover or explain?

Old 12-08-2018, 10:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Yes, why would he look up to his big bro instead of his father, older brother (22), older sister (25).
OK, to the young boy the older brother is cool. Young kids often do look up to teens they regard as cool. They learn a lot from observing them.

If the older brother is around a lot, the younger one might well admire him and absorb cues from his behavior.

His dad is the disciplinarian, and he is around so much the kid knows all his faults. He sees the older brother as more interesting, and cooler.

You sometimes see this sort of thing with a "cool uncle."

Old 12-09-2018, 12:47 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
What kind of question is this? There's an 8 year old boy who looks up to his 26 year old brother and you're asking people on an internet forum why that is. How is anyone supposed to know the circumstances of these two and anyone else in their lives? Also, unless the OP is totally oblivious to human nature, they should know that growing up, kids commonly look up to people in their family older than them. If you're going to ask a question like this at least provide a few details.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Because parents are ... a buzzkill. We are boring. When we try to not be boring; we are even worse: Embarrassing.

When I was 8; I used to dread having to grow up & watch the news, complain about the neighbors & balance a checkbook. 26 year olds have all of the good stuff about being an adult without any of the drudgery.

I don’t know the dynamics between these family members but my boys are 15, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30 & 33 (next month) & I know that the older ones have never told the younger ones to clean their room, turn anything down, not to talk with their mouth full, go to sleep, don’t use that language, etc ...

I do know that the older ones are who taught the younger ones how to do “high-5’s”, “gimme dabs”, “that” language & that within 5 minutes of walking through the door, they will look at little bro, yell; RAAURGH!! Jump over the coffee table, wrestle him to the floor & start tickling him & then I will yell at everybody to; “ Stop getting him all riled up!”

And they will ignore me & get away with it. And to a kid; that’s awesome.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Perhaps of all the family members, the 26 year old brother has the most animated, charismatic personality, has the physical ability and is willing to do fun things with the 8 year old, doesn't have any responsibility for disciplining him, and has never viewed him as an annoying pest. That's at least one possible scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Because parents are ... a buzzkill. We are boring. When we try to not be boring; we are even worse: Embarrassing.

When I was 8; I used to dread having to grow up & watch the news, complain about the neighbors & balance a checkbook. 26 year olds have all of the good stuff about being an adult without any of the drudgery.

I don’t know the dynamics between these family members but my boys are 15, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30 & 33 (next month) & I know that the older ones have never told the younger ones to clean their room, turn anything down, not to talk with their mouth full, go to sleep, don’t use that language, etc ...

I do know that the older ones are who taught the younger ones how to do “high-5’s”, “gimme dabs”, “that” language & that within 5 minutes of walking through the door, they will look at little bro, yell; RAAURGH!! Jump over the coffee table, wrestle him to the floor & start tickling him & then I will yell at everybody to; “ Stop getting him all riled up!”

And they will ignore me & get away with it. And to a kid; that’s awesome.
Nothing could give more life to my points than Coschristi's post.

It's this. Exactly this.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
Why do you say you are a friend of the father, and not a friend of both the father and the mother? If you have more than one sibling, are you closer to one than the other? Are there people at work that you'd rather spend time with compared to other coworkers?

Answer: individuals like/admire/respect certain individuals more than other individuals--human nature. In the case of the young boy looking up to his only brother the most, that's just normal.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Is this worse than idolizing a ballplayer that you've never met that might be a first class jerk in real life?
Worse than idolizing some made up superhero that only exists on TV, the movies or in a book?

I don't think so.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
I'm his father's friend.

I just want to know why he adores his big brother than the other siblings?
Then you'll have to ask him. The answer is personal to their relationship and we're not psychic. No one here can give you a definite answer, we can only offer possibilities and speculation, of which you've already received a numerous amount.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:44 AM

50,792 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Why is that the case in some families. A young 8 year old boy looks to his oldest brother, 26 years old as his idol and hero. Why?
I worshipped the ground my older brother walked on (7 years difference). In my case, I lost my dad when I was young, so he became the male older figure I craved. But also most little kids admire grown up siblings, and older kids in general. Gang members abuse this tendency in getting younger kids into gang life before they're old enough to know they're being manipulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology