Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Yeah, this is odd, OP. This has nothing to do with women, this is specific to one person.

I'm amazed--and I mean this seriously--at people who are shocked when they read somewhere or hear someone referencing Mick Jagger singing back up on Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain'. It seriously blows my mind, especially at people who know the song well and can even sing lyrics, know trivia about it.

HOW DO YOU NOT HEAR MICK JAGGER'S VOICE ON THE SONG?!?!?!?!
It could be that a fan of Carly Simon was not a fan of the Rolling Stones.

Which would be me. 'Way back when Carly's "Your So Vain" was in the Top 40, it was practically my theme song (at least that's what the girl I was dating said).

Holy smokes, Jagger did backup you say? I'll have to listen to it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
So now you're saying it's a "female" thing? I thought that were beginning to get past that.

I've known women for years who I've talked with at length who have these points of view. It is no less perplexing. I certainly don't hold it against anyone. I'm just trying to get the point of view from people who might think that way, or who at least might understand that view better than me.
I have not heard you actually articulate a "point of view" except possibly that women make connections in a different way from men. But you haven't articulated how their connection-making is different from men.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This is not meant to be an attack on the female gender. I'm sure that men have negative qualities.

But I was listening to an interview with Leah Remini talking to Joe Rogan about Scientology. She mentioned the singer Beck who had grown up in the religion/cult from a young age apparently. When the host mentioned the song "Loser" she seemed surprised that Beck was the singer. She liked the song. Then she went on and on about how much she liked it and had no idea he sang it.

Now this is what I don't understand. The song "Loser" is probably his most famous song. He and the song to me are practically inseparable. Apparently she had even met him, AND she was familiar with the song.

How the HECK could she not even know that he sang it??? His most famous song!!!
This has nothing to do with women in general. Maybe Leah has more important things going on in her life (like trying to escape a cult) and remembering Beck's greatest hits is way down at the bottom of her priority list.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
I must confess, when I opened this thread I thought this was going to be a much more interesting (if eye-rolly, as threads about women pretending not to be insulting women usually are) topic, not some weird out-in-left-field nitpick.

However, I do think the OP has hit on an issue I've noticed over the years, but it appears he suffers from it: the expectation that everyone shares a certain knowledge base or cares about certain things (e.g. sports, music, TV shows, etc) and the people who get miffed or indignant when they find out that someone else doesn't know or care about that subject. This thread seems to be an example of someone looking for reassurance that, yes indeed, the "ignorant" person is somehow in the wrong or unusual or otherwise outside the acceptable norm.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Yeah, this is odd, OP. This has nothing to do with women, this is specific to one person.

I'm amazed--and I mean this seriously--at people who are shocked when they read somewhere or hear someone referencing Mick Jagger singing back up on Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain'. It seriously blows my mind, especially at people who know the song well and can even sing lyrics, know trivia about it.

HOW DO YOU NOT HEAR MICK JAGGER'S VOICE ON THE SONG?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It could be that a fan of Carly Simon was not a fan of the Rolling Stones.

Which would be me. 'Way back when Carly's "Your So Vain" was in the Top 40, it was practically my theme song (at least that's what the girl I was dating said).

Holy smokes, Jagger did backup you say? I'll have to listen to it again.
How about that. It does sound like Jagger in the chorus on the left track.

Well good catch, Bobby.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I couldn't pick Beck out in a crowd...BUT I do know he is not Jeff Beck...I will listen now to it before
I post this to see if I have ever heard it.
Not my kinda music. 97 million hits, wow. Does he always do this kind of rap?
If not, maybe that's why she didn't know it was him...I have heard plenty of great music with no idea who is singing.
I watch the MTV Awards shows so I can keep up on so many new artists...I don't hear Beck's name mentioned much.
So am I also a mystery?
Beck is a super talented artist who plays something like 500 instruments. Well, maybe a dozen.

No, he's not Jeff Beck. Nobody is Jeff Beck. He's just Beck. (I think his name is Beck Hansen.) He tends not to make the big pop charts, but he has a following.

I like a lot of his songs, though. I love the somewhat trippy WOW that came out a couple of years ago, although I only ever heard it on XM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCkhPTU13w

"It's my life, your life, live it once, can't live it twice".

Of course, Miss Hepburn, you and I might challenge that statement.

By the way, that's his little daughter flying around in the video.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Who?

Kidding...I like Beck but don't know the song either. Lighten up a bit...
Loser isn't my favorite of his songs.

I like Blue Moon and I like Where It's At (got two turntables and a microphone...)

Old 12-14-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
This isn't specific to women. I've met plenty of people, male and female, who just seem...dense. Like, "I've never heard of Kurt Vonnegut," or "I thought New Orleans was in Mississippi," or "Portugal's in South America." That sort of thing. I also don't understand how one could be familiar with Beck but unaware of what I'm pretty sure is his biggest hit. Not sure how you're not encountering men who are just as clueless as Remini.
I once worked with a woman who said, "I always confuse Winston Churchhill with that other black guy who was shot."

Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Just looked up Loser on Vevo and listened to it. The song may be famous, but I haven't ever heard before and can't say it's really my speed. Sorry.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I once worked with a woman who said, "I always confuse Winston Churchhill with that other black guy who was shot."
Well, on a survey taken back in the 2000s of British college students, the majority thought Winston Churchill was fictitious and Sherlock Holmes was historical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology