Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Don't reinvent the wheel. You have a background in bookkeeping. Use that. Research the highest paying bookkeeping jobs in your area at the largest companies. Then look into careers that use people with bookkeeping backgrounds. There are a lot of positions besides accountant that need these skills.
True^^^ try to use the skills you already have and beef those up with additional education if needed to get yourself a better position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:54 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
At least an accounting degree is something I can get at night or online. I suppose I would have to get a masters since I already have a bachelors. There are other things I am interested in, but I cannot obtain because they are full-time day programs and I have to work full-time.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:22 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I guess that can start at any age, but the most formidable barrier to re-invention is the age at which your joints begin to cause problems.

I guess I should have quit playing lacrosse before I was 67!

Old 12-23-2018, 09:30 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I looked into some of those programs in my area, but they seemed geared towards women who were entering the workforce after child-rearing, had no computer skills or work experience, etc. I did not check AARP, though - that is a good idea.
The AARP program is similar, but it can work for women who need to re-tool, and re-market themselves in a new field, which is what you said you were looking for. However, if you area already has such a program, my guess is that AARP wouldn't duplicate what already exists. They're looking to go into underserved areas, that don't have any such program at all.

Also, if you're already working, I'm not sure how well the program would fit. They partner with local community colleges, so if your CC has evening classes, it could work.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:47 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Well it is truly difficult isn't it.

But there are a ton of things you can do where you can be heard, and not seen. You could be a writer. You could be a software engineer and create some great app or service that people use, and get paid for that service through advertising or subscription. You could become a day trader and make money shorting. A lot of things you can do.

Yes, there is prejudice against older workers. Even if you have a job one has to continue to prove themselves just to keep the job, whereas some young person not so much. But there are options.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I guess that can start at any age, but the most formidable barrier to re-invention is the age at which your joints begin to cause problems.

I guess I should have quit playing lacrosse before I was 67!
Kudos to you for staying in such great shape! I am not in bad shape, but I do feel certain jobs are "out" for me due to age and the physical strength and stamina that would be required such as physical therapy or nursing.

I do feel my second biggest hurdle (next to age) is lack of daytime availability due to working full-time.

I want to stay positive, but it is not easy...

Old 12-23-2018, 01:43 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
At 48 I made a career change in the up direction, I've changed my diet and lost 14 pounds, many more to go but I'm committed and it will happen. I blew my 40s being unhappy and overweight. I'm not going to do the same thing with my 50s.
Wow Chow, I had no idea. Congrats on the weight loss. I was unhappy the whole decade of my 40's as well, as you can gather. Now worried about mortality. Nice job on the career too. That's one thing that went well for me for the last 6 years.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
You are in the middle of a midlife crisis, a lot of us have been there. Find something you really love to do and it will help a lot. We all got there and worried about the future, but things do work out if you keep a positive outlook.

You could also buy a Corvette and start dating some blonde, some of us took that route.
Haha! Great post!

Old 12-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a degree in accounting. Accounting is not about math. It's about applying generally accepted accounting practices. Bookkeepers need to know more about numbers than accountants do.
^This. I have an accounting background indirectly through my Finance degree. Don't let it intimidate you. I say go for it.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:41 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Wow Chow, I had no idea. Congrats on the weight loss. I was unhappy the whole decade of my 40's as well, as you can gather. Now worried about mortality. Nice job on the career too. That's one thing that went well for me for the last 6 years.
I'll join the crowd. I let myself go weight-wise in my 40s and only got back into lacrosse in my mid-50s. Since then, I've kept my weight the same as I had when I was 18 and a HS athlete (and later in college). It was really hard at first, but now it's a habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology