Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:13 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm Jewish and I find nothing offensive about Merry Christmas. It's an American holiday.
But since we do have different holidays celebrated in the same time period, What is wrong with happy holidays? If you were Christian, would you be offended by the use of happy holidays? Because that seems to be the case for many. I don’t think simply putting happy holidays on a cup is indicative of a war on Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
snowflakes are offended by everything.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Did no one catch what I explained, that there was no actual real outrage about the Starbucks cups?

It was fake news, you guys. Really. The guy even admitted it. Joshua Feuerstein made up a fake news piece and circulated it on social media until people started taking sides and talking about it, as though it was real. It wasn't real. No one was actually, in fact, outraged at all, until Facebook told them, via some manufactured BS story, that they should be.

Here's an article about that guy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.76b24242f4cb

The effect of this was: Most Christians did not care what Starbucks did or didn't put on a cup. And said, "What?"

Many non-Christians/progressives, decided that this was further evidence of the religious right being out of their freakin' minds, and made fun of them for getting upset over something trivial and stupid.

Does this sound familiar? It sure should. There have been dozens and dozens of stories flooding all corners of the internet and especially social media, specifically designed to make one side think that the other side is insane. Or monstrous. Or "snowflakes." Because everyone loves a ping to their ego, a bit of validation that they are so right and others are so wrong, so these kinds of pages get the clicks.

I find it amusing that people here actually started discussing, in serious tones, the "War on Christmas" even after I only mentioned the cups in terms of how it was a MADE UP controversy.

But hey, since we're sharing our personal stances (as though it matters, like a bunch of egomaniacs declaring our platforms on the internet, seriously does anyone care?) I am very anti-religious in my own life, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about a friendly holiday greeting of any kind, stated in any way, I can take the spirit of the thing. I think that most people can.

Funny thing, if you go out into the world and you're nice to people, you'll be shocked to find that most people are pretty nice and can get along ok. The internet really is not "the real world."

Old 01-02-2019, 02:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But since we do have different holidays celebrated in the same time period, What is wrong with happy holidays? If you were Christian, would you be offended by the use of happy holidays? Because that seems to be the case for many. I don’t think simply putting happy holidays on a cup is indicative of a war on Christmas.

I'm Christian, and no, I would not be offended by "Happy Holidays".

I also think that a lot of people "create offense" about THAT whole issue. Truthfully...in my personal experience, it hasn't even been an issue. I don't really recall anyone saying either thing to me this year. Like a lot of people have said, the idea that anyone wishes any kind of blessing or positive wish my way, is nice, and I appreciate the motive behind it.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Did no one catch what I explained, that there was no actual real outrage about the Starbucks cups?

It was fake news, you guys. Really. The guy even admitted it. Joshua Feuerstein made up a fake news piece and circulated it on social media until people started taking sides and talking about it, as though it was real. It wasn't real. No one was actually, in fact, outraged at all, until Facebook told them, via some manufactured BS story, that they should be.

Here's an article about that guy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.76b24242f4cb

The effect of this was: Most Christians did not care what Starbucks did or didn't put on a cup. And said, "What?"

Many non-Christians/progressives, decided that this was further evidence of the religious right being out of their freakin' minds, and made fun of them for getting upset over something trivial and stupid.

Does this sound familiar? It sure should. There have been dozens and dozens of stories flooding all corners of the internet and especially social media, specifically designed to make one side think that the other side is insane. Or monstrous. Or "snowflakes." Because everyone loves a ping to their ego, a bit of validation that they are so right and others are so wrong, so these kinds of pages get the clicks.

I find it amusing that people here actually started discussing, in serious tones, the "War on Christmas" even after I only mentioned the cups in terms of how it was a MADE UP controversy.

But hey, since we're sharing our personal stances (as though it matters, like a bunch of egomaniacs declaring our platforms on the internet, seriously does anyone care?) I am very anti-religious in my own life, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about a friendly holiday greeting of any kind, stated in any way, I can take the spirit of the thing. I think that most people can.

Funny thing, if you go out into the world and you're nice to people, you'll be shocked to find that most people are pretty nice and can get along ok. The internet really is not "the real world."

Thanks for the reminder about Starbucks, the war on Christmas, fake news, etc. I DO remember you talking about it...but I forgot.

And what I bolded...someone should make a banner across all the forums that says this. LOL
Facebook is HORRIBLE for fake news stories. I'm always calling it "FibBook".

Old 01-02-2019, 03:05 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm Christian, and no, I would not be offended by "Happy Holidays".

I also think that a lot of people "create offense" about THAT whole issue. Truthfully...in my personal experience, it hasn't even been an issue. I don't really recall anyone saying either thing to me this year. Like a lot of people have said, the idea that anyone wishes any kind of blessing or positive wish my way, is nice, and I appreciate the motive behind it.
I'm not a Christian and personally don't have any issues with either saying. My comments were from a frame work of how some people view things.

Here is an argument that I've heard over the years and it's most from the right side and it's basically saying that language matters. George Carlin does a whole bit about how culture shifts are made consciously to use different language to change and or shape ideas and help push cultural and social narratives. We all know that Carlin was not a right winger and he's right in a lot of ways.

The right basically gets upset that the left and the anti-American type leftist are constantly chipping away at American traditions and institutions, and in traditions that come from a Christians background in particular. It's ok to openly mock Christians now, again, I'm not one and I can see this all around me, the late night crowd has been doing it in particular for decades now. An example of this using different language to talk about immigration. I mean it's plain as day right in front us. Illegal aliens was the first name, then it was undocumented immigrants, now many many people are using simply the term migrant now.

Sounds a whole less threatening and has a much softer tone to it wouldn't we say? This idea isn't a right side or left side thing per se. In this example there really isn't any political will to stop illegal immigration because it benefits so many on either side of the aisle. That language shift helps to push narratives. I mean come on here, history is littered with this, all this used to be called propaganda, lol, now it's called "narrative"

Keep the masses bickering and distracted and the 1 percenters keep on plucking away money, power and control for themselves.

Back to the thread topic. People need to sort through the offenses that require outrage and ignore stuff that doesn't really matter.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm Jewish and I find nothing offensive about Merry Christmas. It's an American holiday.
I'm half-Jewish, and I'm not offended by "Merry Christmas" either.

I'm referring to the (real) people in my Facebook feed who are offended by "Happy Holidays."

Old 01-03-2019, 03:40 PM

481 posts, read 422,982 times
To me, these arguments have varying importance.

I really couldn't care less about "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas", and it honestly seems like such a surface-level issue. Then again, I'm not part of any one religion, so my nonchalantness is extremely biased.

I find racial/ethnic insults more cutting though. From what I've seen, it's more acceptable to mock certain groups, and not others. Even people who tell everyone to "lighten up" about these jokes would probably get defensive real fast if someone had a go at them along racial/ethnic lines. Then again, I've been assaulted under racial/ethnic premises, so my caring is extremely biased.

In the end, I try hard to not attach myself too strongly to one identity, unless their is a strong need to do so.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
To me, these arguments have varying importance.

I really couldn't care less about "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas", and it honestly seems like such a surface-level issue. Then again, I'm not part of any one religion, so my nonchalantness is extremely biased.

I find racial/ethnic insults more cutting though. From what I've seen, it's more acceptable to mock certain groups, and not others. Even people who tell everyone to "lighten up" about these jokes would probably get defensive real fast if someone had a go at them along racial/ethnic lines. Then again, I've been assaulted under racial/ethnic premises, so my caring is extremely biased.

In the end, I try hard to not attach myself too strongly to one identity, unless their is a strong need to do so.
I personally believe that we are all human and I honestly do not like any racial attacks towards ANY group.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Governor Northam's missteps in his 1984 yearbook are another example of the perpetuation of grievance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology