Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:20 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They should have known better in this super duper hyper sensitive world we live in these days.

But it's great the aquarium gave a classic "IF" we offended you non-apology, perfect for situations like these.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/12/monte...ter-tweet.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I think people otter stop being so sensitive.
I think people spend way too much time finding something to be "offended" about. When people look for offense in the way animals are described it's way over the top. But think about it;ball team names, statues, place names and other items that haven't changed for decades are suddenly offensive to one group or another. Or people who are not members of those groups make possible hurt feelings of the "affected" group a cause.

Time to lighten up a bit, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 07:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think people spend way too much time finding something to be "offended" about. When people look for offense in the way animals are described it's way over the top. But think about it;ball team names, statues, place names and other items that haven't changed for decades are suddenly offensive to one group or another. Or people who are not members of those groups make possible hurt feelings of the "affected" group a cause.

Most everything that people consider off limits was once acceptable at one time, i.e. blackface. Making things into "a cause" is how you get rid of bad behavior. So how do you suggest we collectively decide what is truly unacceptable to humankind as a whole?

And FTR team names aren't suddenly offensive. People have been complaining about the Atlanta Braves for at least 30 years.

Still, they persist.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:39 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:

Some terms or names have always been offensive and people knew it. There is a difference between being offended vs recognizing something as offensive . I don’t see that a community or society should be indifferent just because it doesn’t affect them personally, got nothing to do with taking up a cause and everything to do with wanting to promote a caring mutually respectful community.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
And FTR team names aren't suddenly offensive. People have been complaining about the Atlanta Braves for at least 30 years.

Still, they persist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Some terms or names have always been offensive and people knew it. There is a difference between being offended vs recognizing something as offensive . I don’t see that a community or society should be indifferent just because it doesn’t affect them personally, got nothing to do with taking up a cause and everything to do with wanting to promote a caring mutually respectful community.
The effort to promote a "promote a caring mutually respectful community" should not mean people have to walk on eggshells when they write or talk. People should save their offense for the truly offensive. One can argue, for example, that the name "Atlanta Braves" and previously "Milwaukee Braves" refers to a history that should be taught and not erased. I quite believe that Native Americans can be successful in life despite the names of sports teams being rooted in a somewhat negative history. I find a way to work through the day even if someone asks if I'm trying to "jew the price down."

Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:

In general, I wonder how people who are offended by everything do it. I used to find offense in everything, but that was so tiring to me.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
The effort to promote a "promote a caring mutually respectful community" should not mean people have to walk on eggshells when they write or talk. People should save their offense for the truly offensive. One can argue, for example, that the name "Atlanta Braves" and previously "Milwaukee Braves" refers to a history that should be taught and not erased. I quite believe that Native Americans can be successful in life despite the names of sports teams being rooted in a somewhat negative history. I find a way to work through the day even if someone asks if I'm trying to "jew the price down."
So you would likewise find a way to be ok with an MLB team being called the Hacksack Hebes? They could wear the yellow Stars of David in order to teach the history instead of erasing it, like you're suggesting here.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:00 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think in the last few years there has been uptick in people finding offense. Just recently a school teacher banned candy canes because of the idea that the shape of the candy represented j for Jesus. Comedians like Jerry Seinfeld and others won't play colleges because people are so uptight about things anymore. I mean Jerry is a pretty benign comedian for the most and he's saying. Comedians like Jerry are essentially canaries in the coal mine if you will.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
In general, I wonder how people who are offended by everything do it. I used to find offense in everything, but that was so tiring to me.
I agree. There are better things to on which to spend mental energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So you would likewise find a way to be ok with an MLB team being called the Hacksack Hebes? They could wear the yellow Stars of David in order to teach the history instead of erasing it, like you're suggesting here.

I guess it wouldn't bother me too much. It may not be that marketable. When I was a sophomore and junior in high school, we used to organize teams of "Jews v. Gentiles" for roller-skate hockey, circa 1972-3 and 1973-4. No one got bent out of shape.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:

People don't have to walk on eggshells unless they are being offensive and can't handle someone calling it out. If someone can't handle a backlash for being offensive maybe they need to think about it and wonder who exactly is being the snowflake here.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
People don't have to walk on eggshells unless they are being offensive and can't handle someone calling it out. If someone can't handle a backlash for being offensive maybe they need to think about it and wonder who exactly is being the snowflake here.
You are sorta missing the point here. Its people being overly offended at the smallest of things, yes i know it can be subjective on some level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology