Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM

780 posts, read 421,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Something that drives me bonkers, and maybe you can relate, is the larger issue where a person with their own perspective, set of beliefs and behaviors, and so on, tries to act as though what they've decided is real and right and proper, MUST be the ONE RIGHT WAY for everybody to live. As though in order for me to be right, everyone who does, thinks, or says differently, must be wrong! And they are all some kind of a threat to my rightness! (*cough*~Ego~*cough*) It's the opposite of "live and let live" and it's downright irritating. I push back against that mentality all the time, all over the place.
Agreed. I was actually thinking about this today. I think it's a combination of things at play. At the core, I think it's a lack of self awareness and awareness of the world around you (limited perspective). As a result, they see that they've been "successful" doing what they have done, and decide that this must be the right way of doing things. "Hey, it worked for me, so it must just work for everyone."

There is no single or direct path to success or comfortability. I think a lot of people understand this. However, there are still some who don't, or rather, refuse to. Because like you said, ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,387,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I hate the concept of stagnation/complacency. For the better part of the last decade, I've always had a mentality of "go, go, go!"

Usually, after only a short window of 'down time', I'm thinking of the next big thing. Whether it's work, my home, educational achievements, projects, etc., if I'm not advancing towards something on my current path, I lose interest and look for something better.

I've been criticized for this by some. Whether it's job hopping, upgrading my car too often, or moving around too often. Now, I don't particularly think that what I practice is awful. I've stayed at most companies for 2-3 years. I owned one car for nearly nine years, but I've leased the last couple (so I have a new one every 3 years). I have averaged 1-2 years when I was apartment living, but now that I own, it will likely be much longer. But still, some people like to nitpick the habits of others, and I've had my fair share of eye rolls when I describe my lifestyle.

For the most part, my aversion to complacency has paid off. But it has also cost me in some instances. My income has increased 195% in the past 10 years by not sitting around in the same role with the same company. I've moved into a "dream home" of sorts with my wife after moving around a bunch early on to save money on rent. But I did take a hit on a car that I hastily purchased, choosing luxury over utility at the time of purchase. I've experienced other unfavorable outcomes as well, but most have been immaterial.

I don't think that hating complacency is necessarily bad. But it is not always best, and some people do frown upon it because they think it makes you appear unstable or volatile, and these people prefer predictability.

What are your thoughts? Do you have a similar distaste for complacency? Have you dealt with criticism over it? How do you cope with those that doubt?
Some people see your "motivation" as disturbing and unsustainable. They want calm and stability instead of unrest and constant prodding. This is usually identified by (or identifies) the kids in school who were involved in extracurriculars, and those who were not.

Type A and Type B. You can feign Type A for a day, but beyond that, a Type B will be EXHAUSTED and unhappy.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:56 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,013,354 times
Quote:
Then it would just sound like I'm posting to humblebrag.
That ship sailed with your opener.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,588,421 times
Gee, I wonder why you had no curiosity to check out "seven on the enneagram?"
I think it would answer your questions.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Gee, I wonder why you had no curiosity to check out "seven on the enneagram?"
I think it would answer your questions.
Because it’s fake news. I’m not going to bother with your pseudo science suggestion.

There has been limited formal psychometric analysis of the Enneagram and the peer-reviewed research that has been done has not been widely accepted within the relevant academic communities.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enne...of_Personality

Old 01-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That ship sailed with your opener.
Yeah, I realize it’s difficult to talk about your accomplishments without some insecure person feeling put out by it. Even though your accomplishments matter, and are a selling point in just about every aspect of our life including work, finding a mate, getting a loan, better insurance rates, etc., some people will take it as a challenge against themselves. So that’s why I don’t generally like talking about my accomplishments in person.

I’m fine sharing details here, because it’s relevant to the topic. Also, none of you know me, so it really shouldn’t matter.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,588,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Because it’s fake news. I’m not going to bother with your pseudo science suggestion.

There has been limited formal psychometric analysis of the Enneagram and the peer-reviewed research that has been done has not been widely accepted within the relevant academic communities.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enne...of_Personality
"Pseudo science" is your reason for not reading something yourself? Wow. Talk about close-minded.

Okay, enjoy your stagnation. You deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology