U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM

4,773 posts, read 1,674,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It happens more often than you believe. Itís not funny at all. Itís not often reported because of the shame the guy feels at having been made a victim of such a crime by women.

Then please, the next time you come across an article about a pack of women ganging up on some guy and attacking him, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE revisit this thread...even if this thread is years old, and post the article(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM

9,098 posts, read 7,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Then please, the next time you come across an article about a pack of women ganging up on some guy and attacking him, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE revisit this thread...even if this thread is years old, and post the article(s).
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/poli...nkkdy/53763344
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...xyQZEsNX2hgQN/
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...360680221.html
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...-atm/859832549

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZ0UsefFls
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...ns-street.html
Is this enough for you?

Old 01-04-2019, 12:19 PM

263 posts, read 65,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
The internet has allowed me to read a lot of anecdotes from women on how threatened/harassed/menaced men can make them. About how they need to tell their friends/family where they go, how they need to always have an escape plan, how they cross the street if they are alone and a man is walking towards them, etc.

Is this (planning around the possible threat of an aggressive male) a universal part of the female experience?

As a young man, it's really jarring to hear, as I rarely worry about my safety. Is there a change you would like to see in men, in general?
My mother in law sent me a video this morning, titled "women please be aware". She used to post them on my Facebook but i got rid of it so now shes sending me things via messenger. I admit that i don't walk with my keys between my hands or cross the street if I'm alone and a man is walking towards me. I refuse to walk around thinking everyone is a threat. I do hear cat calls but i consider it harmless and just ignore it, a silly man that cant keep his thoughts to himself when he sees a pair of boobs walking by isn't my problem.

I have been a victim of sex crimes, i was molested as a young girl and as a teen a man exposed himself to me when i was waiting for a bus. But i make it a point to be more aware of my surroundings, I walk tall (even though im short...lol), I always scan the landscape. I also have RBF which men have found intimidating so that makes me less approachable. I do tell friends if I'm going to meet someone and what time i expect to return and will text them when i return home.

I can walk around downtown Chicago at night and i wont feel scared but i will obviously avoid dark alleys and the ghetto.

But it isn't just men that pose a threat. I was on the London underground one time when i caught a teenage girl looking at my engagement and wedding ring. I didn't stare directly at her but i saw her turn and say something to her friend then her friend looked down at my hand. I got off the tube and so did they and i walked up and straight towards a policeman that happened to be around the exit, when i turned around again they were gone.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM

13,466 posts, read 7,420,529 times
When I was in my 20's I was at a friend's house in a sketchy part of Elgin. There was a male Hispanic teenager there visiting her. I thought it was unusual, but okay. He asked me for a ride home and it was late and cold so I said okay. Well the little &%#$@# put a choke hold on me on a dark deserted rode and told me to pull over. He was request was met with a response a salty sailor would have been proud of, and I gunned the car and started driving erratically. He let go of me and I told him that he was going to die. I wasn't sure what I was going to do when I ran out of road down by the quarry, but talk about luck. Two guys were about to get in their car and I came screaming up behind them with my horn blaring. The punk jumped out of my car and started running. The two guys went after him and caught him. I turned my car around and seriously thought about running him over. I thanked the guys for helping me. The punk said he was sorry and that it was all a mistake and please take him back to our friend's house. Yeah. NO! Hopefully he had to walk miles back late at night freezing his butt off.

Moral of story. You never know where danger lurks, but most of the time, it's hiding in plain sight. I ride my bike after midnight into the wee hours of the morning. I walk through dark woods with my dog late at night. The odds that someone is hiding in the woods waiting for a lone female to come by are extremely low. Having a deer pop up in front of me and scaring the crap out of me is more like it, and yes it did happen.
I'm not sleeping in anything other than what nature intended. I'm not living my life in fear, and yes I talk to everyone I meet on my dog walks, male or female. I would never have met Bill and Baily and lonely guy on the corner. I had a great time talking to a man out with his step son playing in the snow after midnight one snowy beautiful night.

I do carry pepper spray with me, and I'm always aware of my surroundings, but I will not be afraid of my shadow, and I will still say hello to men and women I pass on my late night dog walkies. I swear, I've met some really nice people who just happen to be night owls like me.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,559,730 times
Hey, victimofGM...

Every report I can find says that men commit the vast majority of all violent crimes.

Yes, men also are vastly more likely to be murdered, also. By other men usually, though.

This survey:
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv17.pdf

Compiles data from incidents whether it went to trial or not, whether the offender was caught or not, in order to try and do demographics on victims primarily (for some reason) of violent crime. But I did find, on page 11 of the full report, that they said that in 76% of violent incidents, the offender is, as far as the victim is able to tell, a male.

That males were the offenders in 3,602,740 violent incidents in 2017.
Females were the offenders in 959,200 of them.
And "both" (like with multiple offenders, I presume) accounted for 188,770.

Also, most were white people (49.2%)
And most were 30 or older (49.6%)

So, based on this data, it would seem that anyone (especially men) are most at risk from violence from white males, age 30+, in the United States. As recently as 2017. The reports for 2018 aren't available yet. But the good news, is that the total of American citizens who reported being victims of any kind of violent crime, was just 1.14% in 2017, and has hovered in the 1% ballpark since at least 2015.

This study, by the way, is cited by most articles that try to report on the subject of who is being victimized and who is doing the victimizing, in terms of various sorts of violent crime. They've done it every year since the 1970's. Many articles cite older versions of the study, I decided to go straight to the source. The Bureau of Justice Statistics has plenty of fun reports and data.

So if you don't believe in going around paranoid and afraid that something bad is going to happen, congratulations. You're right. Being violently victimized in some way, just isn't really that likely. But no one wants to be part of that ~1% so... Who do we need to be worried about? Mostly men, mostly 30+ white men. And who needs to be the most worried? Men, apparently.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM

9,098 posts, read 7,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hey, victimofGM...

Every report I can find says that men commit the vast majority of all violent crimes.

Yes, men also are vastly more likely to be murdered, also. By other men usually, though.

This survey:
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv17.pdf

Compiles data from incidents whether it went to trial or not, whether the offender was caught or not, in order to try and do demographics on victims primarily (for some reason) of violent crime. But I did find, on page 11 of the full report, that they said that in 76% of violent incidents, the offender is, as far as the victim is able to tell, a male.

That males were the offenders in 3,602,740 violent incidents in 2017.
Females were the offenders in 959,200 of them.
And "both" (like with multiple offenders, I presume) accounted for 188,770.

Also, most were white people (49.2%)
And most were 30 or older (49.6%)

So, based on this data, it would seem that anyone (especially men) are most at risk from violence from white males, age 30+, in the United States. As recently as 2017. The reports for 2018 aren't available yet. But the good news, is that the total of American citizens who reported being victims of any kind of violent crime, was just 1.14% in 2017, and has hovered in the 1% ballpark since at least 2015.

This study, by the way, is cited by most articles that try to report on the subject of who is being victimized and who is doing the victimizing, in terms of various sorts of violent crime. They've done it every year since the 1970's. Many articles cite older versions of the study, I decided to go straight to the source. The Bureau of Justice Statistics has plenty of fun reports and data.

So if you don't believe in going around paranoid and afraid that something bad is going to happen, congratulations. You're right. Being violently victimized in some way, just isn't really that likely. But no one wants to be part of that ~1% so... Who do we need to be worried about? Mostly men, mostly 30+ white men. And who needs to be the most worried? Men, apparently.
My point went way over your head. My point was not to say men were more or less at risk than women nor to say that women were more or less likely to be the criminals. My point is that EVERYONE, both men and women, are a target of both men and women and so they should all be aware of their surroundings and situations. Just because a man is less likely a target doesnít mean he isnít a target. I may be a guy but Iím a short 5 feet 5 inch tall guy approaching 50 years old with a shoulder injury from the Navy among other injuries. I keep pepper spray with me in my car for certain situations. Even in my younger and healthier years we in the Navy were taught to be wary of our surroundings when out on liberty because our status of being Us Navy sailors automatically made us targets and if we went off alone our risk greatly increased. Some guys were targeted by thieves, by agents looking to gather information, and some who hated Americans and wanted to attack and or kill an American just for the fun of it. I have had my wallet stollen, have been scammed out of my money by a woman, and was nearly attacked (managed to escape).

Old 01-04-2019, 01:24 PM

13,418 posts, read 11,124,271 times
I just talked about this yesterday with a dufus guy friend of mine!

He thinks cuz I'm attractive and single I am different than his wife, 69....and have to be more careful.
I said, "A woman can be fat or thin, pretty or not, old or young (old is even worse) and they are a target for anything...purse snatching, car jacking in the parking lot...let alone the sexual stuff."

I mentioned to him, I tell the cashiers if they say, Thank you and 'my first name'..."It's ok you did that, but if there was a man right there standing in line...not good."
My friend had no IDEA why I do that...I said they can follow you outside, call your name
...and now they've got you....you have stopped and turned and you have NO idea what will happen next.

Oh the stories I have!
I have been on the alert since college.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM

4,773 posts, read 1,674,152 times

In none of these situations, was the guy attacked by a pack or gang of women. Well...your third link didn't seem to work...so maybe the third one was about a gang of women attacking men. Which is what you said was happening.

Can women commit violent crimes or robberies against men? Sure. No one argued that. But where are the gangs?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 PM

19,959 posts, read 4,217,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Men are not always perpetrators of injustice against women. There needs to be more balance in the discussion.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM

19,959 posts, read 4,217,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Isnít it wonderful that we have to have a mile long list of doís and doníts .... just to be able to leave the house!
And still.... being out alone is a crapshoot.

Indeed.

ALL our lives OP.

I appreciate your interest and even thinking of this part of the life of every girl, woman. Yes, you can make a difference. But it won't help some, who on this thread made a snide comment about male violence towards women.

See how far there is still to go???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or