Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Men are not always perpetrators of injustice against women. There needs to be more balance in the discussion.
I think guys should have just as much situational awareness as what some of the women here are describing. We all, regardless of sex, age, etc., should be aware of our surroundings and the people and animals present in them. It makes me nuts when I see people walking along with their eyes glued to their phones and their earplugs in. Human predators are not much different than wild animal predators, they all like easy targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Men are not always perpetrators of injustice against women. There needs to be more balance in the discussion.
Given that the OP asked for women’s experiences and perspectives about precautions they take to stay safe and given that we so rarely have to protect ourselves from other women, what do you suggest we discuss?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Thanks for providing it, ma’am.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I think that overly cautious people probably both generate and attract negative energy. But I realize that's just one factor.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I remember this article being one of a few that explain very well the emotional energy involved with this safety mindset:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7072080

It includes 34 things women often think about daily. OP how often do you think about using your keys as a weapon if you need to?

“1. Walk with our keys grasped between our fingers in case we need to use them as a weapon.
2. Making sure to have the correct key out and ready before we get to our door...”

I think this is the main point:

“Altogether, these small behavioral modifications amount to an atmosphere where women’s mobility is dictated by safety concerns.”

The Golda Meir quote at the beginning is pure gold though.
These are not just things that women do. Men probably do most of these things.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
These are not just things that women do. Men probably do most of these things.
You’re a man. Do YOU do most of those things?

It’s so nice for you guys to stop by a thread asking for answers from women to tell us that 1) “not all men are perpetrators “ (duh and no one said they are) and 2) women cause their own threats by anticipating them.

The BS just never ends.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
The topic is specifically about ways in which men make women feel unsafe, and how women live with this. The OP is asking to what extent this is part of the lives of C-D women.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 PM

481 posts, read 422,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The topic is specifically about ways in which men make women feel unsafe, and how women live with this, or asking to what extent this is part of the lives of C-D women.
Exactly. I didn't make this thread to take shots at my own gender. I'm just curious to hear more about how women relate to men. It genuinely surprised me that women have to think about their safety so much. Sometimes I carry a gun, but even when I don't, I still mostly never think about personal safety. I can't imagine having to think about it all the time.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Exactly. I didn't make this thread to take shots at my own gender. I'm just curious to hear more about how women relate to men. It genuinely surprised me that women have to think about their safety so much. Sometimes I carry a gun, but even when I don't, I still mostly never think about personal safety. I can't imagine having to think about it all the time.
Here's one the article didn't list:

Looking under the closed doors of bathroom stalls before using the bathroom, if staying late in a library or office building with few to no other people around. Doing the same anytime, anywhere, if the bathroom is in an isolated part of the building.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Okay here's some balance...78% of murder victims in the USA are male and worldwide, it's 79%. So men are roughly 4 times more likely to be murdered than women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homici...tics_by_gender

Now when it comes to sexual crimes victimization, I don't have the statistics but in my experience, it's gong to be overwhelmingly female victims...we (men) need to work to drastically reduce that (open to suggestions). I do think it's sad that women worldwide do have to be careful and wary in everything they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology