Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM

892 posts, read 481,752 times

Advertisements

looking 'androgenous' seems to help, at least superficially. walking in a guy-like fashion & swinging arms by your side can be disarming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,675,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I grew up in Chicago and worked downtown for most of my career and sadly one learns quickly who, what and where to avoid as many possibilities (as is possible) for random acts of unsolicited and/or lewd conduct from the male species (obviously not all males).

Reading through this thread made me think back to my childhood, teen years, that of a young woman and now senior citizen. These cautions which have been passed down to women from their mothers and their mothers and their mothers for eons, I suspect, as I passed them down to my daughters. I suppose it is a rite of passage among the female gender.

I learned on my own, as both of my parents had moved to the city from the Ozarks. Neither of them had any street smarts. I learned early to pay attention to the people round me. I have an older sister, 12 yrs older than me....she didn't teach me anything, as she preferred to bully me and terrorize me.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,825,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You’re a man. Do YOU do most of those things?

It’s so nice for you guys to stop by a thread asking for answers from women to tell us that 1) “not all men are perpetrators “ (duh and no one said they are) and 2) women cause their own threats by anticipating them.

The BS just never ends.
When I read the article again it was just like reading a suspense novel like Stephen King.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,795,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My point went way over your head. My point was not to say men were more or less at risk than women nor to say that women were more or less likely to be the criminals. My point is that EVERYONE, both men and women, are a target of both men and women and so they should all be aware of their surroundings and situations. Just because a man is less likely a target doesn’t mean he isn’t a target. I may be a guy but I’m a short 5 feet 5 inch tall guy approaching 50 years old with a shoulder injury from the Navy among other injuries. I keep pepper spray with me in my car for certain situations. Even in my younger and healthier years we in the Navy were taught to be wary of our surroundings when out on liberty because our status of being Us Navy sailors automatically made us targets and if we went off alone our risk greatly increased. Some guys were targeted by thieves, by agents looking to gather information, and some who hated Americans and wanted to attack and or kill an American just for the fun of it. I have had my wallet stollen, have been scammed out of my money by a woman, and was nearly attacked (managed to escape).
Start your own thread. The topic of this thread is about a mindset, not crime statistics.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:15 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,439,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My point went way over your head. My point was not to say men were more or less at risk than women nor to say that women were more or less likely to be the criminals. My point is that EVERYONE, both men and women, are a target of both men and women and so they should all be aware of their surroundings and situations. Just because a man is less likely a target doesn’t mean he isn’t a target. I may be a guy but I’m a short 5 feet 5 inch tall guy approaching 50 years old with a shoulder injury from the Navy among other injuries. I keep pepper spray with me in my car for certain situations. Even in my younger and healthier years we in the Navy were taught to be wary of our surroundings when out on liberty because our status of being Us Navy sailors automatically made us targets and if we went off alone our risk greatly increased. Some guys were targeted by thieves, by agents looking to gather information, and some who hated Americans and wanted to attack and or kill an American just for the fun of it. I have had my wallet stollen, have been scammed out of my money by a woman, and was nearly attacked (managed to escape).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Okay here's some balance...78% of murder victims in the USA are male and worldwide, it's 79%. So men are roughly 4 times more likely to be murdered than women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homici...tics_by_gender

Now when it comes to sexual crimes victimization, I don't have the statistics but in my experience, it's gong to be overwhelmingly female victims...we (men) need to work to drastically reduce that (open to suggestions). I do think it's sad that women worldwide do have to be careful and wary in everything they do.
These are two important points made in the thread. As a man, I am more likely to be a victim of a violent crime than a woman. However, no one is making threads about how it feels to be a man and to be disproportionately affected by murder and other violent crimes. No one is ever asking me what I have to do to prevent myself from being murdered.

I've also felt that women have stolen money from me. But no one has asked me my opinion on how I have been a victim of women perpetrating theft against me.

I know of guys who have been divorced and had divorce judgments that involved alimony. How much attention is paid to those guys who have been financially raked under the coals? Who cares about their thoughts and feelings?

Yes, I realize that there have been injustices perpetrated against women by men. But there seems to be a pervasive attitude on C-D boards that men are bad and women are good. It's not just C-D boards. I sense that this occurs in greater Western culture too. Men are not automatically bad. Women are not automatically good. Women do lousy things to men. Men do lousy things to women. That was my point in bringing balance to the discussion.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
That was my point in bringing balance to the discussion.
That's a different topic. It's not balance.

Start your own thread.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:02 AM

102,155 posts, read 107,499,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
These are two important points made in the thread. As a man, I am more likely to be a victim of a violent crime than a woman. However, no one is making threads about how it feels to be a man and to be disproportionately affected by murder and other violent crimes. No one is ever asking me what I have to do to prevent myself from being murdered.
No one's stopping you from making such a thread, either. Have at it!

Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM

The urge to minimize this kind of issue is mere defensiveness on display.

Some men feel threatened and attacked, whether rightfully or not, when faced with stories from women about how they try to minimize actual threats in their own lives. So they try to reframe the problem in order to lessen the bad feelings they have, again rightfully or not, upon hearing these stories.

It would be so much better if, instead of succumbing to this condescending urge they just take a breath and acknowledge that SOME PEOPLE EXPERIENCE LIFE DIFFERENTLY.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 PM

4,181 posts, read 3,384,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
The internet has allowed me to read a lot of anecdotes from women on how threatened/harassed/menaced men can make them. About how they need to tell their friends/family where they go, how they need to always have an escape plan, how they cross the street if they are alone and a man is walking towards them, etc.

Is this (planning around the possible threat of an aggressive male) a universal part of the female experience?

As a young man, it's really jarring to hear, as I rarely worry about my safety. Is there a change you would like to see in men, in general?
I'd like them to actually become men again.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM

481 posts, read 420,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I'd like them to actually become men again.
And what may that entail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology