U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 287,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, the other poster is NOT alone. I happen to agree with most of what nobodysbusiness said. The exception being that it's mainstream thinking that suicide is fine. I don't think that's true. Seems like hyperbole to me.

You're giving a technical definition. The other poster was trying to say that suicide IS the moral equivalent of murder. You don't have to agree. But nit picking with technical definitions is silly and completely misses the point.

You're really bad with analogies.
It's a great analogy, if you believe in individual freedoms and rights that don't effect others. Apparently you don't. Posts from people like you and nobodysbusiness make me so grateful that I don't know you in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 801,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
One in my immediate family too. They think the world will be better off without them. Part of the mentally-disturbed thinking they suffer from. In her note, plenty of thought was given to family.

We all recovered and understood it was a sickness like any other. Lots of depression in our family too.

You and your family are fortunate that such a note was left to help you understand. My family had no such bitter sweet thoughts conveyed to us. All of us were changed--none of it for the better.

Whoever first said "suicide doesn't stop the pain--it transfers it to someone else" spoke truth.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 AM

5,090 posts, read 5,620,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Thanks for this post. This thread has gone so weird that I think I'll abandon it after this post because the lack of empathy is not just shocking, it's disturbing.

Collateral damage is massive. I'm almost three years out, and still dealing with nightmares, and have to be very careful about where I go and what I do. Loud noises cause me to break out in tears. There's no warning. It just happens - like a knee-jerk response.

According to psychological studies, the emotional stress and pain of losing a close loved one to suicide is on par with surviving a WW2 concentration camp.

Think about that for a minute. It's not like my spouse keeled over from a heart attack. He came home from work, sat down, and put a Glock in his mouth. He shot out his brain stem. Think that's "not so grisly"? The genius didn't take into account the fact that the exhaust gases from the Glock blew up his head and blew out his eyeball.

So go back to your favorite TV shows and hypothesize all you want. Those of you who haven't been near a suicide are embarrassingly and completely clueless.

And you're damned lucky to be so, but you should stop with all this conjecture.
I'm not here to cause you even more pain.

However, as you said previously, your husband's suicide was a "revenge suicide". You acknowledged that revenge suicides are only about 10% of all suicides.

Your husband intended for you to be traumatized, so he did it in the most dramatic and disgusting way possible. You have post traumatic stress disorder, which is exactly what he wished for. Yeah, he sounds like a jerk.

I posted about a disease I've been newly diagnosed with, that's also known as "The Suicide Disease" for those who have the severe version. I HOPE I don't experience the severe version, but please don't put me into the same category as your husband, should I need to quietly exit someday - with an explanatory note saying no one is to blame but the disease. This is NOT something I WANTED.

(BTW, I also have PTSD, from a traumatic incident a few years ago, and I also react to loud noises as a consequence. So I do understand what uncontrollable panic feels like.)

Anyway, I am genuinely sorry about what your husband put you though.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 PM

3,703 posts, read 1,194,399 times
I would call suicide cowardly, cause people usually do it to get rid of the pain they cannot stand it seems. However, it is more desperate than cowardly I would say. Is their a noun for a desperate person? That might be a more accurate term than 'coward'.

Also the definition of coward is someone who lacks the courage to deal with dangerous or unpleasant things, but wouldn't suicide be more dangerous and unpleasant than whatever it is that you are living with?

To me ending your own life is just more dangerous and more unpleasant than having to face whatever it is, that is plaguing one.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM

71 posts, read 20,429 times
Here's my two cents on the subject.

I saw once a CSI chapter. The victim had commited suicide by jumping off a building. But some detective knew it was not suicide, he had been murdered….because he had jumped with his glasses on. And here comes the punchline: "A coward would have taken his glasses off to avoid watching his own death".

I felt so "WTF" as you wih your teacher. I thought it was the comment of a moron unable to grasp the complexities of the suicidal mind. Everybody can snap, the human mind is a mistery.

Then I saw the reverse when they caught Saddam Hussein. When they found him in his hideout, some soldier said "you are a coward, you should have killed yourself".

So moral of the story: it really doesnt matter what anyone thinks about suicide, we all die sooner or later, that's the ultimate truth.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM

35,663 posts, read 43,861,555 times
I’m not sure if you are the only one, but I agree that suicide is cowardly. It is a long term solution to a short term problem. It is very selfish and does not think of the wreckage the person leaves behind.

The person committing suicide does not seem to care who will find them, and the damage it will cause.

My friend’s first husband committed suicide. It was she who found him, but it could just as easily have been their young child.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 PM

1,088 posts, read 287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m not sure if you are the only one, but I agree that suicide is cowardly. It is a long term solution to a short term problem.
Maybe, maybe not - depends on the person's situation, no matter how much you think you understand everyone's. The only thing we know for sure is that we all are going to die, so there is no such thing as a long term solution.

Quote:
It is very selfish and does not think of the wreckage the person leaves behind.
Yes, let's be the ultimate in selfishness and force people to go on that don't want to out of guilt, that's the answer.

Quote:
The person committing suicide does not seem to care who will find them, and the damage it will cause.
Not really, the only thing they are focused on is extreme emotional stress and pain, and they want it to end. No matter how much you want to make them a bad person, the only thing that matters is they never asked to be born into this world and they've had enough. You will join them along with all of us in a few years, we all end up dead- it's just a matter of time.
I feel strongly that those who will be judged harshly are those who deliberately hurt others, not those who hurt themselves - if there is an afterlife.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 PM

1,571 posts, read 801,696 times
Quote:
I’m not sure if you are the only one, but I agree that suicide is cowardly. It is a long term solution to a short term problem. It is very selfish and does not think of the wreckage the person leaves behind.

My friend’s first husband committed suicide. It was she who found him, but it could just as easily have been their young child.

Very tru. The person who commits suicide very often gives no thought to who is going to find them--let alone the damage that will be done to those left behind.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 PM

8,236 posts, read 9,530,269 times
Quote:

In some cases they may be suffering from a short-term issue. In others it could an inescapable, life-long affliction.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 PM

7,513 posts, read 2,826,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Very tru. The person who commits suicide very often gives no thought to who is going to find them--let alone the damage that will be done to those left behind.
if they were surrounded by people who didn't care about them anyway, why should it matter to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or