Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:39 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,121,332 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I experienced a random act of kindness that made my day. My first stop before appointments and errands was at an espresso cart. There was a short line. The man in front of me greeted me and we discussed the weather. His turn came up and he asked me what I wanted to drink. I smiled and said a latte would be nice . He paid for my latte and I thanked him. It was not a flirtation; he was just being nice. Bless him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,370,431 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I've been thinking about the question, and what's disturbing is that I can't immediately think of an example - either someone doing something nice for me, or vice versa. Makes me think I need to get out there and 'be nicer'.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2018 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 11:14 AM

8,175 posts, read 3,368,696 times
My usual act of kindness, the thing I know how to do -- I listened carefully and with empathy to a friend's story about her teenage daughter's troubles and how she helped her overcome everything. I told my friend what she wanted to hear, but I wasn't lying. I agreed with her tough love approach to her daughter, and I was happy for my friend that it all turned out great.

Listening to stories that do not turn out well, or have no solution, is harder, but I think I can do that pretty well also. Sometimes saying very little is the best approach.

I am overly empathetic, and I can use this to help people by listening.

I never had a friend who is as good at listening as I am, so that has been frustrating. But I would rather listen than talk, most of the time, so it's ok.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 AM

11,755 posts, read 11,943,473 times
Yesterday I was in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's. There was a long line and the lady in front of me took such a long time ordering that the line in front of her completely cleared and she was still at it. When it was my turn to pay, I was told the lady in front paid for me because she felt bad for taking so long. In turn, I donated what I was going to pay into the charity donation slot under the drive-thru window. Win-win!

Old 09-29-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My usual act of kindness, the thing I know how to do -- I listened carefully and with empathy to a friend's story about her teenage daughter's troubles and how she helped her overcome everything. I told my friend what she wanted to hear, but I wasn't lying. I agreed with her tough love approach to her daughter, and I was happy for my friend that it all turned out great.

Listening to stories that do not turn out well, or have no solution, is harder, but I think I can do that pretty well also. Sometimes saying very little is the best approach.

I am overly empathetic, and I can use this to help people by listening.

I never had a friend who is as good at listening as I am, so that has been frustrating. But I would rather listen than talk, most of the time, so it's ok.
While I wouldn't label your kindness as "random", you have a kind nature! Your friends are blessed to know you and bless you for not just listening to them but hearing them!

Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Yesterday I was in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's. There was a long line and the lady in front of me took such a long time ordering that the line in front of her completely cleared and she was still at it. When it was my turn to pay, I was told the lady in front paid for me because she felt bad for taking so long. In turn, I donated what I was going to pay into the charity donation slot under the drive-thru window. Win-win!
Love it. Thanks for sharing. At Walmart I've been next in line waiting for a customer paying with cash and coming up short a few cents or couple dollars and have been tempted to offer the cash to the person. Next time I'll do it if I have the money and "pay it forward".

Old 09-29-2018, 07:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,605,137 times
Took two bags of clothes, many new with tags, to the Salvation Army.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,232,523 times
I guess it's more of my OCD, but think it would also be an act of kindness. While grocery shopping today at my local Food Lion, a found 3 stray shopping carts around the parking lot and got them all together and brought them back to the "corral" closest to the store.

I actually do that quite often, as a former "cart wrangler" from way back in the day, I actually enjoy going around and getting stray carts at the random places I go/shop at and bringing them back to the corrals/store and helping out the people who have to do that. Many times people think I work at the stores!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:19 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
One done to me that I can think of was awhile back. My husband lost his job, my daughter got lice. We went to the “lice lady” to get it removed, quite expensive. She wouldn’t let me pay. Seriously brought me to tears.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 PM

11,755 posts, read 11,943,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Love it. Thanks for sharing. At Walmart I've been next in line waiting for a customer paying with cash and coming up short a few cents or couple dollars and have been tempted to offer the cash to the person. Next time I'll do it if I have the money and "pay it forward".
I did that once about 10 years ago, a teenage guy was short 50 cents at the till so I gave it to him and he turned and hugged me. That was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology